• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakepainter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I am a bit of an advocate of the Claude Gordon approach to playing, but having had a lesson with Scott Holbert last summer i am finding myself increasingly diving into this forum as Scott's suggestions have really helped me out !

One thing i'd like to ask about is air. Since starting the CG stuff i have found the breathing exercises/posture etc have really helped my playing out. When Scott saw me play, ( i do the whole chest up full tank thing) he said that this was unnecessary as he can play in any register without keeping his chest up. He demonstrated this too, pretty impressive ! So i guess what i'm trying to ask is what is Reinhardt's take on breathing, and its importance in range/endurance ? Do other DOC advocates not concentrate on posture either ?

I'm not trying to start a CG vs Reinhardt debate here. just wondering what the official line is re: breathing.

cheers

jake
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-25 09:44, jakepainter wrote:
So i guess what i'm trying to ask is what is Reinhardt's take on breathing, and its importance in range/endurance ? Do other DOC advocates not concentrate on posture either ?

I'm not trying to start a CG vs Reinhardt debate here. just wondering what the official line is re: breathing.

Doc hardly ever addressed breathing at somebody's first lesson unless something was horribly wrong. He used to say there were so many points to cover "above the neck" that breathing could usually wait until later lessons.

He did tell me not to lift my shoulders while breathing, and gave me detailed instructions for the execution of the correct mouthcorner inhalation at my first lesson (my Orientation and Analysis Period of the Pivot System). But as far as preaching breathing as the cure-all for broken down brass players, that's not what Doc was about.

He also told me to inhale as slowly as time permits, and to only take in as much air as I needed to accomplish the phrase at hand.

And I don't know where your last question about posture came from, but you are obviously misinformed on this topic. Reinhardt was a stickler for improving posture . . . many times moreso than any other teacher I've ever studied with.

So I will interpret that statement as flame bait and simply advise you to get a copy of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt's Encyclopedia of the Pivot System, the one that Dave (airdyn) recommends elsewhere on this forum.

Doc used an ancient quote when people grossly misunderstood his teaching and misrepresented his methods; "We must forgive them 'for they know not what they do.' "

Rich

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2003-02-25 17:55 ]
jakepainter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So I will interpret that statement as flame bait"

Rich, it certainly wasn't meant as flame bait, I genuinely got the impression from Scott that posture wasn't high in the priority list, but i guess i must have got the wrong end of the stick. In my mind Air and posture go together, i.e by teaching good posture you are really teaching about air; a good posture helps produce a decent airflow ?

I'll get the encyclopaedia anyhow. where can i buy it from? how much etc ?

jake
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jake,

Go to http://www.pivotalk.com and go to the "Pivot Products" link to purchase your copy of the encyclopedia. Dave Sheetz is handling that aspect of the web-site. there are also some articles written by Dave Sheetz that you might find interesting.

As an aside to breathing and posture, and to add what Rich said...Doc mentioned that either at Curtis or Peabody, I can't remember which, the chairs in the rooms had no backs on them. He said this was obviously to promote good posture and breathing habits (which he did promote). When you were in his office waiting for youre lesson you would listen to tapes he recorded on various aspects of brass playing. There is a tape on breathing and is quite extensive. But like Rich said, it was addressed later on in your developement.

You mentioned Scott's demonstration on how much air you actually use to produce sound (and obviously you HAVE taken a lesson with a Pivot System teacher). It really addresses those teachers who promote lots of air all the time for all occasions. I've seen guys take a full tank of air for one short note. It doesn't make sense and is a very inefficient use of your own energy.

At any rate, I invite you to peruse this forum some more...I think we addressed the use of air in more detail somewhere in here.

Thanks for your interest........

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
jakepainter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers paul, i will be spending more time in here from now on. From my very basic understanding so far, what attracts me to this methodology is the "learning to use what you have got" aspect, and the realisation that different players have different types. This seems to make sense to me, after all we are all different !

jake
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc told me about TD when asked how much air do you take in Mr. Dorsey?
Tommy's response was: "I only take in what I need."
WEG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: