• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jonny #1 + Jonny #2 + Jonny #3 + Jenny #4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya!

I wrote the following article to try to get a pupil of mine to understand where he/she is comparing their sound / skill level to some of their trumpet playing friends...I hope this may help somebody else...who knows...if you think it's drivel ,that fine...you probably play REALLY well and don't need THIS kind of help...some people do!

It's kind of hard for some people to get a perspective on where they are, and where they wanna be.....and where it's possible for them to arrive !

which Jonny are you?

Jonny #1 + Jonny #2 + Jonny #3 + Jenny #4

...If you revert back to your old ways of extraneous lip/jaw/breathing/horn angle motion...I can't help you...this is what a lot of guys do...and this is how they LOSE their way....they go PAST the correct natural chop set. Let me explain...

Jonny #1 + Jonny #2 + Jonny #3 + Jenny #4 [all figures are irrelevant]

Jonny #1

An uptight individual prone to overwork. To get to his target sound [big/fat] Jonny#1 will do anything [usually subconciously] to attain the required sound/note. [extraneous lip motion etc..] he gets HIS 'desired' sound in 5 years of practice 5/10...but has SKILL [technique] problems and can't progress past a skill level of 50/100.

Jonny #2

a relaxed guy, some would say a bit on the lazy side -who does'nt think about much when playing..and kind of has'nt got an ideal sound to strive for.
Jonny#2 does most things subconciously to attain the required note. He technically is a GOOD player but people like Jonny#1 better because he has a big fat sound due to extraneous lip/jaw/throat motion etc.....Jonny#2 arrives at a sound [acceptable@ 4/10] in 5 years of practice....HAS a skill level of 70/100......but has NO problems and CAN progress [gradually improving his sound even] if he so wishes.

Jonny #3

a VERY relaxed guy, some would say a bit of a natural on the horn-who does'nt think about much when playing..and ONLY thinks of the SOUNDS yet does'nt care about SKILL level. Jonny #3 does most things related to SOUND only. He does'nt compromise his technique/chops to get ANY sounds he requires. He is a GOOD player because he has arrived at this 5 year point by ONLY concentrating on his SOUND. People like Jonny #1 / Jonny #3 equally, ....Jonny #3 arrives at HIS acceptable sound of 5/10 in 5 years of practice....HAS a skill level of 70/100......has NO problems and CAN progress [skill/technique/sound] if he so wishes.

Jenny #4

IS a natural, sounds great all the time, no technique problems --@ 5 years, has a sound of 6/10 and a skill level of 80/100..and ALWAYS is progressing.

Moral of the story....If you are NOT a Jenny, pick your Jonny and try to use him wisely!! --hehehe!!! [or...which Jonny are you?]
=============================================================

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Method for Trumpet Advancement]

A "NEW" Trumpet Method Book [$35/£20 including shipping]
now available to buy online..... http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
trumpetgeek234
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I must be a Jonny I
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..that's okay mr.tg234...maybe if you've identified yourself correctly, think that there is merit in this for you personally, and wish to make a change, perhaps it's easier to see a way ahead for yourself...

BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the skill levels and such (e.g 5/10 or 70/100). I'm assuming it's some sort of standardized musical indicator or something? Or is it just a fraction?

Yeah, I think I'm definitely a Johnny, but I'm not sure which one...can I be a combination?

mm
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta read more carefully mm...gotta read more carefully...

Jonny #1 + Jonny #2 + Jonny #3 + Jenny #4 [all figures are irrelevant]

BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm..haven't been playing for five years. lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Roddy, I think I see the key differences among the Jonnys, and I think I see how they relate (1) to my past "glory" (such as it was), (2) to the recurring problems I had in the past, and (3) to my comeback experiences. So now my question is, can one choose to be a Jenny? Or do I not understand your point as well as I think I do?

Matthew 25:31-46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: