• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece too low?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Doc Reinhardt but someone suggested I post this in here so...
Someone told me my mouthpiece was a little too low, that I should try playing with it higher up. My tone and range go down the tubes when I raise it up. If I work at it will it work itself out and how vital is it to fix this? Thanks!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-23 21:41, trumpetjunkie wrote:
I don't know anything about Doc Reinhardt but someone suggested I post this in here so...
Someone told me my mouthpiece was a little too low, that I should try playing with it higher up. My tone and range go down the tubes when I raise it up. If I work at it will it work itself out and how vital is it to fix this? Thanks!

You've really gotta watch out when "someone" tells you what you "should" do.

On trumpet, I'm a downstream Type IIIB with a rather low placement. There was a time (about 23 years ago) when I mistakenly tried moving my mouthpiece up higher on my lips, and the same thing happened to me that you described. I lost my range, endurance, and confidence. Fortunately I was able to fly to Philadelphia to see Doc Reinhardt, and after doing a bunch of troubleshooting he asked me what type he had told me I was originally. Well, I told him IIIB and he said that I had been trying to play as a IIIA and that type-switching leads only to big chop problems.

He had me move my mouthpiece so far down that "no white man could play that way" and try some slurs, and voila! Almost instantly all my range was back!

So often Mother Nature finds the right placement for us. It's up to us to make the most of that with which we're naturally endowed.

My suggestion to you is to leave your placement alone . . . who cares if "somebody else" thinks you "should" play a certain way? Go ahead and move it back down low where you had it and get back to us in a few days and we'll see where we stand, alright?

Anybody else have any Reinhardt-related experience to share with our trumpetjunkie?

Rich
Buzz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am type IIIB downstream, as well. I also had been told to move my mouthpiece higher with disasterous results. Now I just think of trying to press down with my upper lip so my lips are closer together and I have better lip compression. I know it sounds like the same thing as moving the mouthpiece higher, but the result is completely different. When you just move the mouthpiece higher you also change how the mouthpiece rests on your bottom lip, and you give up control. You can leave it where it is on the bottom lip and think of pressing the top lip against the bottom lip. The result is... duh... closer lips, and a higher buzz. Nice result. I don't claim to be an expert. I'm just somebody who's fighting the good fight. Yes, Rich, I've been practicing.
Meg
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a slightly different take on this same subject. I went through most of my musical studies trying to play on a "traditional" mouthpiece placement, and it wasn't until I moved my placement lower to a type IVA embouchure that I began to learn how to use my embouchure efficiently.

Mouthpiece placement is a very personal thing, and you can't generalize. If someone suggests to you to change your placement I would want to know why. It may be that this person actually knows what he or she is talking about, but it sounds that according to your results, this isn't the case. Your own unique lips, teeth, gums, and jaw will dictate to you where the best mouthpiece placement is, not how your teacher or favorite player does.

Good luck!

Dave
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Doc quote from the mid-1970's:
Student: " What do I say to someone when they ask me why I place my mouthpiece way over to my right side?"
Doc: "Ask them why they pick their nose."
WEG
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who told me this is very expeienced; has 40 years of experience and teaches and plays for a couple symphonys. If I remember correctly the reason I should move it up is because my range is not very good right now. G above the bar is about what I can play comfortably. And my endurance still is not great. But as a comeback player of about 3 months now I have been improving steadily, I have not come to a standstill. There is a certain position on the mouthpiece where more of my top lip is in the mouthpiece and when I hit this position my range does seem to be easier for a time but I cannot maintain the position for more than a few seconds. And I can't find it at will, it just happens. Also, some say that bye changing their mouthpiece higher on the lip the results were not immediate, but in the long run they were way better off. ?? Could this be the case? Thanks for all the tips, I will be trying them out. You have been of immense help.

P.S Where can I read more about Doc and his theorys?
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetjunkie,

(I hope Rich will forgive me for this) You are in Asheboro, NC. Take I-73/74N to I-40W towards Asheville, NC. Rich (BeboppinFool) Willey is in Candler, NC, in that vicinity. Take advantage of your proximity to a real live Reinhardt student/teacher of the Pivot System. As much as you could learn on this forum, it can't replace a good ol' one on one trumpet lesson. With all due respect to your teacher with 40 years of experience....I'll put the years of Rich's experience against his as far as chops are concerned.

Respectfully,

"Wherever you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-02-25 15:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-02-25 15:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-02-25 15:13 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Paul, I'm glad to be recommended to students interested in learning more about the Pivot System. And we have others right here who I have recently been learning from as well, so for me to represent myself as somebody who knows all the answers is ludicrous.

But I suspect that I might be able to be more helpful than 99% of the non-Reinhardt students/teachers out there. At least Doc imparted as much of his experience to his students as he possibly could so that we could continue his work after he left us.

For us, the students of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt, developing chops on the trumpet is no longer a mystery. We know that we don't just suddenly wake up one morning and have chops. Brass students are either building something or tearing something down. Doc was a genius for showing us how to always be building.

Rich
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetjunkie:
Go see Rich, he can help you.
As a fellow IIIB I can quote Doc-
"IIIB will type switch between IIIA and IIIB and a IIIA will type switch between IIIA and IIIB during their developmental period. It is similar to having measles and mumps when you are a child."
Doc would also refer to it as the "measles and mumps thing".
During the formative period of embouchure development, one of the first things is to master your pivot (and take care of the other mechanical corrections), one embouchure the whole range of the horn.
So, it is best to see someone who has studied with Doc before you start altering your placement.
Since Rich is the closest one to you as far as I know go see him.
WEG
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2 years ago I experimented with lowering the mthpc, and it has really improved my range. My tone quality is not quite as good, but I feel it was well woth the trade off. I have somewhat of an overbite, (Herb Alpert ish) and I have been trying to use the Callet system (tongue against bottom teeth or upper lip). I am also using a smaller diameter mthpc. It seems to be working. I am practicing much more, enjoying practicing, improved range and now working on endurance.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-27 12:02, bent trumpet wrote:
My tone quality is not quite as good <snip> and I have been trying to use the Callet system.

Let us know when you're ready to come on over to "our side."

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: