• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Saddest Screaming Moment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyalRegiment

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sadest moment I have ever heard was from the Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps 1989 soprano soloist/screamer blow his solo at his final show. He went for the double C range area, and only got air and a few squeaks.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that was a sad moment. I have the clip somewhere on my computer. A couple of months ago I posted something about that on the Blue Devil's forum and they just totally got so mad that it wasn't even funny. they had to deleate the topic.

Something similar to that happend to me. Except it wasn't a worlds final and thousands of people weren't watching me. During my West Side Story year in Marching band during the end of the Jet Song I attempted to go up the high D and I totally choked. It was our first competition. I never did try to hit the note after that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: mafields627 on 2003-02-23 20:42 ]
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shudder in sympathy for today's soloists, what with the advent of camcorders. Just think, now the most embarrising moment of you 17 year life can be preserved and reviewed by millions for eternity.
Myself, I clammed the E (stop laughing) on "Esperito del Toro" which caused the entire trumpet section for the opposing team to just fall out. Felt like S**t for about 2 weeks until I saw MF himself miss the 2C falloff on "Chameleon", and for some reason I felt much better....
Andre

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I canīt understand is you guys laughing about such trumpeters while admiring MF who does not hit 50 per cent of the notes he wants to play.
What is this phenomenon called in English ?
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hero Worship.
Brass Monkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course he is 75...
gzent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that must have been painful for him, poor kid.

For me, back in 10th grade I choked the high C at the end of the 2nd movement of Carnival of Venice and dropped it down an octave - totally sucked! But hey, if you wanna play the tuff stuff you're gonna make mistakes.

Greg
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the 1989 Finals and heard the Blue Devils's screamer have the frack to end all fracks. I have been a huge Blue Devils fan for a long time, and that was not only the first Finals I went to, but the first time I heard the Blue Devils live. I (along with probably everybody else in the crowd) felt really bad for the guy, as you could tell by the hush that fell over the corwd when it happened.

However...

What people neglect to mention when they talk about that mistake is that the same soloist who made the mistake had another solo to start the very next piece (the piece is called Allegre). He had this tough 16th note double-toungued solo...and he nailed it. Nailed it immediately after the big mistake. I give him a lot of credit for the great recovery.

Mistakes happen, at all levels. I think we all try to minimize how often they happen, but they still do happen.

Mike Trzesniak

P.S. An interesting note about the recording of that Blue Devils performance - the mistake never made it on to the cds that year, since DCI takes the best performance from Championship Week and uses that for the cds. It did get on the video, since obviously the video is from the live performance (it also looks like someone above in this forum has a recording of the solo with the mistake as well).

[ This Message was edited by: Blue Devil on 2003-02-23 20:40 ]
Garroid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Gleason and I have had the honor of knowing and working with a fine trumpet player with PHENOMENAL range while in the army - I knew him at the school while I believe Patrick new him in DC; this person's name will remain anonymous.

However, person 'x' once witnessed another trumpet player totally botch a double c at the end of a halftime show in RFK stadium, so person 'x' yells at him to get his attention, proceeds to pull out his horn and PASTE him with the double c he just missed, and then, of course, person 'x' gets flipped off and rightly so.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Yup! I was actually stationed with him at the time and he told me about it the next week following the Redskins game that weekend. I don't think our Mr. X actually yelled at him to get his attention. I thought he just popped the horn to his face and, yeah, you described it right, PASTED it right on the back of this guys head, whereupon the guy turns around, extends the one finger peace sign and yells "F*** YOU!!!!!!!" You would have thought he would have shown a little more appreciation for being showed the proper way to play a double C. Sheesh!

Mr X is PROOF POSITIVE that Superchops works and for him, it was unbelieveable. Tripple range all night long.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8th Grade playing a new Bach Strad ... a high C (in rehearsal) on a piece by Gustav Holtz (maybe). It was a humbling moment.
trumpet_boi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN ROYAL REGIMENT OF ROSEVILLE CALIFORNIA!!! That was hella sad for BD 89 during their finals show. But, hey crap happens, there's really nothing you can do about it. If I was that lead sop of 89, I'd kill myself, or change my identity cuz I wouldn't want my kids, finding out my screw up in 89, especially if that year was my AGE OUT YEAR!!! Anyways, that hella sucked for that dude, and that is most definitely SHINTAO, the saddest screaming moment ever in my books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: