• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting to know Miles and others......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I am trying to "get to know" some of the really famous jazz artists. I would really like to know about Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gilespie, and Wynton Marsalis. What are 1 or 2 CDs for each of them that either made them famous, or really show off what they are all about? I really haven't heard much Miles, Louis, or Wynton, even though they are extremely popular artists, but I would like to. What made these guys famous?

Thanks,
Patrick
LeeMorganFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis is famous cause he is the one who really devopled jazz trumpet playing (every guy who picks a horn up now has a little bit of Satchmo in him) and the best trumpet player of his time... Miles was an inovator in almost every kind of music in his time... bebop, cool, modal, fusion... And Wynton is an amazin classical and jazz player, who really brought back an emphasis to acoustic straight ahead jazz...

i'd recomend any of the Hot 5's and 7's of Louis Armstorng or Louis Plays WC Handy (the reissue of this is amazing!)

Miles... almost anything... definately Kind of Blue... you can't go wrong really with any album... some of my personal fav's are Bitches Brew, Cooking, Steamin, E.S.P., Sketches of Spain.... (to name a few)

Wynton - you have to check out Live at Blues Alley, and his recordings of The Hydan and Hummel Trumpet Concertos
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 13:43 ]
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately get carnival by wynton! It is the best legit album I have heard. Man, the tounging, the range. It is awesome.
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Dizzy Gillespie, a good start is the _Jazz at Massey Hall_ date. That's a 1953 concert with a quintet: Dizzy; Charlie Parker, piano; Bud Powell, piano; Charles Mingus, bass; Max Roach, drums.

Several years ago, the Smithsonian put out an excellent 2 LP set of Gillespie called _The Development of an American Artist, 1940-46_. If that's available on CD, buy it.

The RCA label owns rights to Dizzy's mid-to-late 1940s bebop big band. Although I have this music on LP, I just checked out a track listing for an available CD called _Dizzy Gillespie and His Orchestra 1946-48_ and it's got the right stuff on it.

In the mid-1970s, Dizzy made a great album with the Machito Orchestra for Pablo called _Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods_. Also, the _Trumpet Kings at Montreux 1975_ date for Pablo, with Roy Eldridge and Clark Terry, is a lot of fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: