• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

embrouchure types

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetkid11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read about people on this forum and they all talk about embrouchure types. the only problem is.... i dont know what these mean and how to tell which type is which. like i see people saying IIIA and IIIB etc. but i have no idea what IIIA, IIIB, etc are, so can someone maybe make a list or something of all the types of embrouchures and tell what each mean. thanks.

i would also like to figure out which type of embrouchure i am.... i have the mouthpiece kind of low. it is in the pink part of my top lip and almost all of my bottom lip in the cup. when i get rings on my lips, they are on my top lip and then there is a little red mark on the white of my bottom lip. it is also a little to the right side, not much though. does anyone know what type this is? thanks
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would have to see you playing, or some good photos of the way you play. From what little you've described, I'd say you're probably not a IIIA. Chris LaBarbera is really good at determining types from photos. But the best way is to do the Pivot Classification tests in the Encyclopedia of the Pivot System and have someone who's versed in the Pivot System watch you through a transparent plexiglas (or Lexan) mouthpiece.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." (Doc had that on a sign in his outer office, if memory serves.)

Rich
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand trumpetkid11's description of his mouthpiece placement correctly, it sounds like he's a an upstream Type IV or IVA before one of the downstream types:

Quote:
i have the mouthpiece kind of low.

Like Rich mentioned, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing in this case. If you have the opportunity, see if you can line up a lesson with a qualified Pivot System instructor. Check out http://www.pivotalk.com for contact information of qualified instructors. If there aren't any in your area, Dave Sheetz give video lessons that are very effective. You can get Dave's contact info from the PivoTalk web site. He also contributes to this forum frequently.

Good luck!

Dave W.
trumpetkid11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. thanks.

now, if im a upstream IV or IVA player, what does that mean?
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than trying to explain myself, permit me to quote from "The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System."

Quote:
Types IV and IVA possess lower teeth which recede beneath the uppers while their lower jaws are in their natural positions. Because both Types IV and IVA utilize so much lower lip, the air stream always enters the cup of the mouthpiece in an upward direction, regardless of either the position of the jaw or the angle of the instrument.

- Donald S. Reinahrdt, The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System, pp. 209-10.

These two upstream types utilize what Dr. Rienhardt called "Pivot Classifcation Two." Before I define what the type two pivot is, let me again quote Dr. Reinhardt and make sure you understand what a "pivot" actually is.

Quote:
The lips and mouthpiece "as one unit" must move vertically on "the track of the inner embouchure (the teeth for trumpet - the teeth and gums for trombone) and whether or not  this movement is to be in an upward or downward direction to ascend or descend is strictly upon the performers particular physical type.

I pulled this quote directly from the PivoTalk web site, which I mentioned above.

Pivot Classification Two, from the "Encyclopedia:"

Quote:
This is the player who while ascending _pulls_ his lips to a slightly lower position on his teeth (towards) his chin) with the rim of the mouthpiece, and while descending _pushes_ his lips to a slightly higher position on his teeth (towards his nose) with the rim of the mouthpiece. Again, the outer embouchure and the mouthpiece must move vertically as one combined unit on the invisible track of the inner embouchure.

- Donald S. Reinahrdt, The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System, p. 200.

The Pivot System is taught to each player with a very personalized approach, in part based on each individual's embouchure type and pivot classification. Since it's very difficult to diagnose these things online, I would again suggest that if you're serious about learning the Pivot System that you try to visit a qualified Pivot System teacher when you can. In the mean time, hang out and read what's here, visit the PivoTalk web site, ask questions, and hopefully some of the knowledgeable participants here can help guide you on your way.

Good luck!

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: Wilktone on 2003-03-02 23:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Wilktone on 2003-03-02 23:14 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: