• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pedal Tones Are Bad For You!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, there is a fight about pedal tones every few months here. Why fight? Pedal tones are great for some people, terrible for others. Some like boxer shorts, some like jockey and some like bikinis, few prosleytize
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way you think.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Freedman wrote:
Geez, there is a fight about pedal tones every few months here. Why fight? Pedal tones are great for some people, terrible for others. Some like boxer shorts, some like jockey and some like bikinis, few prosleytize

Spoil sport.

Actually, I learned a little in this particular iteration of the perennial debate, so it wasn't a total waste of bandwidth ... at least for me ...
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_dcstep wrote:
You "Reinhardt guys" are certainly dogmatically set against pedal tones. Just remember, this isn't the Reinhardt Forum. It's the Fundamentals Forum, so we're not restricting our discussion to one particular method.

Since when is it not okay to have an opposing point of view? We're all adults here (I think) and can handle finding out that others don't agree with us.

Mr. Hickman himself has included the appropriate disclaimers, and I believe I have as well. Certain things help certain people, and those same things can be detrimental to others.

If a doctor prescribes medication for you, will you read the research that shows the negative side effects? I know I sure will, and I'll watch carefully for the signs that the medication is having negative side effects.

It's really just that simple. If somebody proclaims pedal tones as a cure-all, I'm actually only being helpful by telling another side of the story. If you don't like it, then you're the one with the problem, not me.

Have a nice day (unless you've made other plans).
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Since when is it not okay to have an opposing point of view?"

...in some dedicated forums..
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:

You mean the one that says "Find out about the teachings of 'Doc' Reinhardt" at the entrance? Hey, just because I'm a good moderator doesn't give you the right to be all snippy about it does it?

dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
dbacon wrote:

You mean the one that says "Find out about the teachings of 'Doc' Reinhardt" at the entrance? Hey, just because I'm a good moderator doesn't give you the right to be all snippy about it does it?

Did you think I'd imply that you can't have an opposing view on your forum? Since I've never seen one on there, it just never crossed my mind..........hey, what's you favorite Woody Shaw lick to play in all keys? I just got a copy of Woddy's "Stepping Stones" and I'm trying those 4ths/down a whole step thing he does......gad, he must have been a IVC, or a IIID, or a 32Long.....just kidin' Rich!
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The analogy about medicine side-effects is a good one. This is why reading all sides is good. Being dogmatic and closed-minded is another thing.

My dictionary defines "pedagogy" as the art or science of teaching methods. (Note that the word "methods" is plural.) Here are the first three paragraphs from "Author's Comments" from my TRUMPET PEDAGOGY: A Compendium of Modern Teaching Techniques book:

"Teaching trumpet would be relatively easy if all students possessed the same physical characteristics, musical background, mental capailities, and enthusuasm. However, it is these differences that make trumpet pedagogy important if each student is to become a successful performer.

I have often been amazed at the various manners in which the world's leading trumpet artists play the instrument. In many cases, playing methods vary greatly, yet the artists are perfect examples of how well these methods work.

An artist-teacher is the product of his or her unique background of experiences. From these experiences, certain philosophies are adopted as personal 'truths,' many times with other concepts and methods being sub-consciously declared 'non-truths.' When working with students, it is logical for the teacher to profess his or her most successful ideas. However, not all students are able to play the trumpet with the same manner of embouchure, articulation, or other specific physical actions as directed by their teachers. Therefore, teachers must understand that methods and approaches other than their own may be more successful with certain students."

It is silly to deny that pedal tones are good for some players. Likewise, it is silly to say that pedals are best for all students.

I remember when Carmine Caruso's method first came out. His lecture-demonstration at the National Trumpet Symposium in Denver (1969) more than raised eyebrows. Many thought it was evil. However, today it is a valid system that has proven to work for many. Same can be said for other methods. Nothing works for all of the people all of the time.

Dave Hickman
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: pedal tones Reply with quote

As with any formulated approach, a player has to go through the ropes, through the honeymoon time, through the night season, through the questions time, the great days and the bad, in order to compact a big picture into working for himself.
Just for the record, I've played on million seller records since the age of 19, and I'm 53 now.
I 've put double a's on dozens of recordings, as well as b's, c's, c sharps, and above in the music, in time with the red light on..in solo's, in ensembles,on tv.
I do it every day, live,in practice and with students, and have for many years.
I've used pedal tones a la Gordon, Maggio, Bloomquist.
I've also played without them.
About 10 years ago I began to understand what, about them, was working, and what wasn't.
If you pay attention to your playing, and listen to your sound and pitch and not the opinions of others, you will find a way to get, using them,one up on yourself as opposed to you not using them..and that'sthe point, right?
To improve.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a funny position some have to pedals. If you do them, you should look the same as if playing an octave or two above.!!???

Is that really possible?

Take a look in Dave's great new book, Trumpet Pedagogy. For instance page 208 - see picture of James Ackley. Or look on page 210 - Amanda Pepping. Does the face look the same when they play third-space C as when playing pedal C?

No.

So what? Just listen to Amanda (she is out on CD). She is a great player!

Ole
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Quote:
How can learning to move the lips a lot help when to play high you want as little movement as possible?

Good question.

Jeff Smiley is one that has an answer to that. See his book "The Balanced Embouchure". Here is a quote from an interview I had with him:
Quote:
To remedy this, I developed exercises designed to exaggerate the normal lips range of motion, thereby increasing the lip's ability to form more complex combinations of opposing motions (shapes) which more effectively promote a continuous state of balance within the context of dynamic activity. (whew!)

In other words, through the repetition of relatively simple exercise targets, the lips become more intelligent, more able to move far enough and morph into more complex shapes to match the task at hand.

Of course when you find the good balance, you will use minimal movements. But, on the way to find it - some exaggeration can be good

Ole

P.S.
I agree with Dave and Rich that pedals does not sound nice in concert. Recently I gave a review (in Norwegian) about Malcolm McNab's excellent CD. Over all positive, but I felt that his use of pedals in the cadence of the first movment of the Tschaikovsky violin concerto did not suite that type of romantic music.
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Since BE has it's own forum, we should perhaps stop discussing BE here. But, if you read my interview ( http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/smiley/ ) you will see that Jeff studied with Gordon and his teaching (with lot of pedals) was not helpful for Jeff.

Pedals alone or too much pedals is not a good thing (and it is boring)

Btw, since I play a lot of trombone these days (learning to master the slide etc) - I don't use pedals much. On trumpet I sometimes do exercise #15 "Pedal Point" - playing along with Phil Smith.

Ole
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reconsidered my position, and I think that all of you need to practice pedal tones every day for the rest of your lives. I'll continue struggling along without them, and then we'll get together in 15 or 20 years and compare results, okay?
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
I've reconsidered my position, and I think that all of you need to practice pedal tones every day for the rest of your lives. I'll continue struggling along without them, and then we'll get together in 15 or 20 years and compare results, okay?

Remind me in 14 years or so, just in case I lose my Palm ...

BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
Remind me in 14 years or so, just in case I lose my Palm ...

You got it, my brother! Just make sure you practice pedals every single day to make it fair.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close to 100 posts.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: