• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roelf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Roel Flores. I have tried something quite new I think. I will have to see what my other fellow trumpet players think about this. I have been experimenting with mimimum mouthpiece pressure. I have read many articles on how to achieve this. I had this idea about putting some masking tape ( a little bit ) right above where the red part of the lip meets the face. And I do the same with the lower lip. I practice anything below 2nd line G. This is to ensure that I use the mimimum mouthpiece pressure. It sounds bad at first because the lips are not used to vibrating that way. But I have found some success after 30 minutes of practice. I would love to hear what you guys think about this. Let me know floresroel@hotmail.com and don't forget to visit my website at http://www.roelflores.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Geri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how exactly does this ensure that you are using a minimum amount of pressure?
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'm not sure something which inhibits natural embouchure formation (albeit, there not be such a thing for most us, and admittedly our "natural" set might not be best) and restricts movement is a good thing. I suppose it could be beneficial if it guides you to the perfect setup, but it seems to me (after about a half-second of analysis) that'd cause more problems than it'd help.

2. Consistency? Can you ensure the tape goes on the same way each time, and I don't mean just the position (which is probably fairly close) but also the tension it places on you lips?

3. I'd probably just learn to press harder to keep from sliding around on the tape.

4. The killer for me -- for a guy with a beard and mustache, this sounds pretty painful...

Try holding your horn in the palm of your left hand, and/or locking your hold so that you have to lean into the horn a bit (i.e., keep it away from your face) and try that instead. And, of course, read the wealth of information posted previously here on TH about this very subject.

My 0.0314... cents - Don
roelf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A couple of years ago I got some dental work done. It had a gap between my two front teeth. It wasn't pretty. I got this done at the age of 31. It was embarassing to smile in front of people....so I decided to get some work done. The dentist did some bonding on my teeth. For those of you who don't know what bonding is. It is a kind of tooth enamel that blends into your teeth (this is how movie stars get their great smile .... i.e. Shania Twain) It cost only $200 bucks to get this done. I asked the dentist how long it would take for me to get used to the bonding. He told me a couple of weeks. To tie all this together. By putting tape on your top and bottom lip ... it makes us more aware of the rim and the pressure we are using. Just like the bonding on my teeth. I am experimenting more on this.
1.) Tape just around the rim of the mouthpiecef
2.) Tape just around the top and bottom lip
3.) Tape around the rim and top and bottom lip

I hope this is helpful. I always experiment.
How far off can I be to be a great trumpet player?
I practice and just try to keep getting better. I have learned a lot of techniques on this site. Thanks

be sure to visit my site http://www.roelflores.com or e-mail me at floresroel@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OldBugleBoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roel,

That might work great for some folks but I've got a mustache that probably wouldn't work very well together with tape. I wouldn't want to hear me yell when someone pulled the tape off.
Happily playing a Yamaha YFH-635T
roelf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try just putting the tape around the rim of the mouthpiece. The thing is to be aware of the mouthpiece pressure!
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much pressure is TOO much pressure?...Is there a problem you have that makes you think you are using too much pressure?...Why try to play with no pressure anyway?.....You may be trying to cure a "problem" that is NOT a "problem". Is your endurance low? Do your chops HURT after playing?....Can you not slur smoothly?
These questions need to be addressed by YOU..
No pressure= no volume of sound.
It also means fast fatigue.
No pressure, especially in the low regester..means your mouthpiece is bouncing around on your chops with each tongued note...bam, bam, bam.....that = fatigue, and unsureness of attack.....
You need to have a good command of your emb. against the rim....you have to feel as if you are "chasing the horn"...not that it's chasing you...YOU are in control.....
Look at ANY world class player...be it Arturo, Maynard, Bud,... Vizzuti...or the guy who plays great in your home town...look closely.....do they appear to be pussy-footing around with the grip pressure?
Probably not...the key is EQUALIZED pressure..that is....the more you press the horn towards your face, the more your chops have to press towards the mouthpiece....keep a cushion of muscle between the rim and your teeth....when these forces are even....
IT FEELS LIKE NO PRESSURE!!!!
The "ring of power" is your emb formation...think of it as a drawstring...like the top of a Crown Royal bag, if you will....pull the strings..it tightens,and gets cushiony, yet remains soft and pliable...if you can equate this to your chops....no pressure is a no brainer...it's not even an issue...
Bob List, Baltimore
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last post is interesting. I think the key word could be "undue" pressure. Where & when the arm pressure begins to deteriorate the chops. If the chops can cushion the mouthpiece rim effectively than the pressure can be increased UP TO A POINT.

There's nothing I like better than a rehearsal that challenges my physical capabilities. During such times I may need to use a litlle more pressure but always coupled with taking the piece off my embouchure whenever possible. I find such workouts far more useful than practicing long tones,arpeggios etc. Nothing beats a regular gig for building endurance,accuracy and "musical range".

Leesbrass@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: