• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A must read for all !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hairy james

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This needs to be on here, It's a handout from Doc dated March 27th 1979, the date of my first lesson. It's called: "IN AS BRIEF AND CONCISE A MANNER AS POSSIBLE - WHAT IS A PIVOT?"

THE PLACEMENT OF THE MOUTHPIECE IN THE SO-CALLED "GROOVE OF THE OUTER EMBOUCHURE" MUST NOT BE PERMITTED TO MOVE OUT OF THIS POSITION WHILE ASCENDING OR DESCENDING THE REGISTER OF THE INSTRUMENT; HOWEVER, SOME DEGREE OF "MUSCULAR ELASTICITY" MUST BE EXPERIENCED WHILE SO DOING. THE LIPS AND MOUTHPIECE "AS ONE UNIT" MUST MOVE VERTICALLY ON "THE TRACK OF THE INNER EMBOUCHURE" (teeth for trumpet - teeth and gums for trombone) AND WHETHER OR NOT THIS MOVEMENT IS TO BE IN AN UPWARD OR DOWNWARD DIRECTION TO ASCEND OR DESCEND THE REGISTER OF THE INSTRUMENT DEPENDS STRICTLY UPON THE PERFORMER'S PHYSICAL TYPE. THIS MUST BE DETERMINED ONLY AFTER A COMPLETE ANALYSIS IN THIS REGARD AND PRESCRIBED AND CARRIED OUT ACCORDING TO THE LAWS OF MY PIVOT SYSTEM. AFTER THE PIVOT MANIPULATION HAS BEEN MASTERED, THERE MUST BE LITTLE OR NO ANGULAR MOTION OF THE INSTRUMENT OR ALTERATIONS IN THE POSITION OF THE HEAD. THIS IS MY PIVOT WHICH I INVENTED, DEVELOPED AND PERFECTED IN OVER FIFTY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE; NOT "WAVING HORNS IN THE BREEZE" AS THE "MISINFORMED" HAVE BEEN EXPOUNDING. A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING; THEREFORE, "WE MUST FORGIVE THEM FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO!"

Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt 1908-1989

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2003-03-07 16:29 ]
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep......this definitely needs to be here. I've begun to question some of the things I have posted. In an effort to help, we may be hindering because we can't actually SEE what the player is ACTUALLY doing. By describing a particular drill, how do we know the student is going to do it correctly and to the letter. There is nothing better than taking a one on one lesson with a Reinhardt Pivot System teacher.

However, I do realize that this is the next best thing for people who don't have access to a qualified teacher....I just hope we get across the importance of seeking out a teacher.....

Thanks Chris!!!

"Wherever you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2002-10-06 13:27 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this important definition...I'd thought I'd bump it up again.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, wanted to let you know that I touched up the quote above . . . those blasted 12 years of being a typesetter ruined me, but I saw some things that were missing and/or misspelled, and out of respect to Doc (and definitely not out of disrespect to you, Chris) I took the liberty of making a couple small corrections.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: