• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

tell me if i'm correct?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diz the wiz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a comeback player,i don't have time or the money for private teaching(work a lot and live away from big city in Canada).i put about a hour of playing every day,what 1 want to know is am i the type IV or IA ,when in natural position my lower jaw receded from my upper jaw about a quarter of a inch,when i play my lower jaw protruded about the same from my top jaw,it's the only position that is good for me because that way i have a big sound and a range to double Eb over the staff
(easy until high C even after 1 hour of practice times,after high C i put pression to reach Eb) when i go up i pivot (put pressure on top lip) to visualise this ,my trumpet in confortable position for me is about 15 degree
tilt for the ceiling ,in that position i'm confortable and the sound is big, even at high C,to go higher i tilt a little more and the pressure go on my top lip ,and the sound stay big,so what type do you think i am! i hope i've describe correctly my embouchure,i've never had a teacher but i think i manage pretty well to learn to play ( nobody complain and tell me i have a nice sound and play well,)but again they don't know the difference betwen a average player and a very good one!

(Moderator's Note: I took out all the blank carriage returns at the end of this post; it's a waste of space and a nuisance to scroll past—RTW)

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2003-03-08 20:52 ]
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll leave it to the experts do all the important talking...but I will say it sounds like you are a type IV upstream....just like me!

-Brendan

[ This Message was edited by: DSR on 2003-03-08 17:35 ]
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a IV to me....

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diz the Wiz...not enough information. Are you using more upper lip in the cup? Do you place 2/3 upper 1/3 lower? What is the fraction? You talk about the high Eb...you must mean the minor 3rd above your high C, right? Putting "pressure on the upper lip" is not pivoting. Please read the definition of the pivot at http://www.pivotalk.com . Or get the Encyclopedia of The Pivot system.
I am a IIIB, my natural bite is an overbite and when I play, my lower teeth go forward PAST my upper teeth and you would swear that I am a IV upstream but I am not!
From your description, you need to see a qualified teacher of the Pivot system, have him look to see which way your airstream is going, up or down, and to show you how to pivot properly.
Read in other posts here on the Reinhardt Forum about the "Eb player".
Putting extra weight on the top lip is not recommended for any type...the lower lip can take more weight, while the upper lip can become a "meat hook" , get smashed, ultimately swell up, break down the embouchure, etc.
The answer to your questions is not possible with the information you provided. Tell us more!
DS

[ This Message was edited by: airdyn on 2003-03-18 13:30 ]
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave is right and I should say that nothing is sure until a Pivot Instructor can see you in person. The evidence given sounds like a type IV but without seeing the airstream in a clear plexiglass mouthpiece, nothing is certain. As good as this forum can be, nothing beats a "good ol' one on one trumpet lesson", which in your case sounds a bit problematic.

Go to the aforementioned web-site and purchase the Encylopedia of the Pivot System. It's a step in the right direction and part of the proceeds go to the Reinhardt Foundation (so you are doing good on two fronts).

"Wherever you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-03-18 14:20 ]
diz the wiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIRDYN thanks for the answer! to give more information,I play 23 upperlipsand 13 lower lips,and you are correct it's Eb a minor 3rd above high C ,since I live in the country near MONTREAL,CANADA, I don't know any teachers that teach the pivot system,I know if I want to make more progress I need a good teacher,but where do I look since I don't live in a big city,and where can I purchase the encyclopedia,but I understand that to buy the book would be a waste of time if I don't have a teacher to guide me,and when I said that I put more pressure on the upper lip when I go up in my register it's not a lot of pressure but only a little, since to ascend ,my trumpet bell go up ,because my lower jaw go out ,but now that I look more carefully the pressure(little) is equal on both lips, I had the impression of more pressure on upper lip because of the angle of the bell that goes up.again thanks for any tips you have to give me.
michel
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diz the wiz;
Some of us are equipped to do online lessons, others are comfortable with video lessons (VHS &/or DVD).
There are also a few of us that are available for clinics. ( Some of the clinicians are affiliated with an instrument company so it might be possible for a music store in your area to sponser someone for a clinic)
Best thing to do is to pick one of the above and ask.
Hope this helps,
WEG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: