• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Engineering+Music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas? I'm still not absolutely sure that I don't want to major in Trumpet performance, but the career is so insecure and im so narrow minded (to quote my mother) that I really don't think it will work well. Fortuneatly I also happen to love math and science, and therefore am looking for an engineering college with a good music program to boot, esp if i could get a minor:) Unfortuneatly I live way down in GA, and GaTech has no music program, and UGA doesnt offer engineering, just science degrees. Are there any other schools I should consider, prefferably those that aren't all the way across the country?

Stuart
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Univ. of Alabama has a pretty good engineering program, not to mention a good music department. I would look into it. Not too far from Georgia. http://www.ua.edu or http://www.music.ua.edu

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about UT in ausitn - you would be in silicon hills and they have a good music program...

My Schilke X3Lb in Satin Gold
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f4577e3_1283/bc/X/__hr_x.jpg?BCoZaR_ARis3g4PD[/img]
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a ton of schools offer a music minor, but University of Minnesota is one that does. If you aren't going to be a proffessional musician anyway, why not just go to a city with a healthy music scene and get a good private teacher on the side? There are great schools for engineering in NYC and Boston.
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some schools have a degree that is kind of a double major in both music and engineering. Ball State University in IN has a Music Engineering Technology program. From friends I know who are in it, I hear that it can have a good bit of composition tied in if the student wants. Maybe you should look for a similar program someplace.
John
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northwestern has a double major program in engineering and music. The application actually has a box you can check if you are applying for it. I believe it takes 5 years to complete.
kcrw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iowa State has an excellent engineering program along with a great music program. The only problem is we are in the middle of Iowa. If you can deal with that, it's a great school.

Casey
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be different....but...it's VERY interesting to see my students who happen to be engineers struggling with the complexities of TRUMPET...dams -no problem // suspension bridges-no problem ...

dubba c ..too hard hehhe!!!

[this is a joke btw don't go all getting your knickers ina twist you engineering types!]

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Doc Maynard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univ of Miami has a program. http://www.music.miami.edu/programs/mue/index.html
fatsound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also in high school and in and a similiar situation. I don't know good your grades are but some schools that are very good in both engineering and music are Northwestern U., just outside of Chicago, Rice U in Texas, and U of Maryland. Good Luck.
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grades'll hold up, straight A+ (95 and up) in all subjects, including AP Lit, AP Chem and AP Phys. These sound like interesting suggestions, and i plan on checking them out:) Thanks for all the great suggestions...

Stuart
dltrmpt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, try the university of illinois. excellent engineering, constistantly ranked among the top programs in the country (i think mechanical engineering is 3rd in the u.s. behind mit and berkley maybe). music school is also very good, and i think they just recently started offering a music minor. mike ewald and ron romm are the trumpet profs, both are amazing players and teachers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: