• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet mpc info please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin J. Rooney

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a used Kanstul pic (which is terrific), and it came with a Callet mouthpiece which has stamped on it "615 CV CT". I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this means, general size/throat/backbore info etc. Mouthpiece is very comfortable and pretty easy to play.

Thanks.

Marty
Kanstul CCT 920 Picc (GR62P-M)
Courtois 154G Flugel (GR65 FL)
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.615 is the inner diameter of the mouthpiece. CV refers to the shape of the cup. I don't know what CT means. It could be an old someone's initials or the person who made the mouthpiece in Jerry's shop (like the new ones are marked VF). You could always call Jerry Callet.
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly anyone has cranked out, not just so many mpc's, but revolutionary changes as Jerome Callet. I have several Callets, but that CT stumps me. DT-10, phenomenal mpc = Dave Tiggs, BC = Buddy Childers....
The previous info: .615" and CV=cup V-shape is right on. Contact Jerry at http://www.callet.com .

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initials still rattling around: An "HJ" Callet mpc is a collector's item, made around late 80s = Harry James. SC = Superchops of course.
Varicup Bukur, based on small mpc/big sound of an early 20th century maker, became Callet Bukur. Besides the "DT," today one also sees "VF" for Vladimir Fridman, who came onboard with Callet around 1998, immigrating from Russia.
I'm telling you, it's fantastic that the Callet mpc's are so easy to play. Well, some aren't easy if one has a tendency to bottom out, but part of the SC method is to cure that. They are not easy to categorize at times.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin, I had a Callet .630cv once...it had A LOT of personality to the sound...there were some intonation issues with it...but it was very comfortable and I played it succesfully in lead, commercial, and jazz situations...like cozy said the .615 is the diameter..and the cv looks like to be a special design of the modified double-cup variety....I am speculating here, but I think the CT could stand for Clark Terry as I know he plays a trumpet mouthpiece with a similiar diameter. His custom Giardinelli has a diameter around this size i believe and a deeper v-cup...perhaps at one point he commisioned Jerry to make him a custom piece. All the best, Lex.
Martin J. Rooney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I suspect/guess that the CT may refer to it being a cornet shank mouthpiece??

I agree, I have been picking up picc playing fairly quickly and the mouthpiece/horn combo is quite responsive. Lots of fun.
Kanstul CCT 920 Picc (GR62P-M)
Courtois 154G Flugel (GR65 FL)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: