• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Overwhelmed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetlover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is about being able to balance one's life as a musician. Recently, I am finding it more difficult to have time for studying, practice, and just time to relax. It seems that every time I get some "extra" time it is spent doing other things besides enjoying some down time. How can one find a balance without practice time or musicianship suffering? As always, any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Trumpetlover
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off, how old are you? I ask only because in my situation it seems that the older I get, the more things that I have in my life to deal with and it becomes a constant juggling act with almost no real time for relaxation unless I let something else go. But when I was about 20....ahhh, those were the days! I was an Army bandsman, lived in the barracks, didn't have a car, no real bills except for my one and only calling card that I still have. I had only me, my uniforms, my barracks room, my duties as an Army Bandsman and my music to worry about.

Now:

Wife
2 Kids
Job
House
2 Cars
Rock Band rehearsals/gigs
Big Band rehearsals/gigs
National Guard Band drills/gigs
Taekwondo
Kids' Homework (I don't do it, but sometimes I need to make sure that they do it)
Trumpet/practice
etc.

All that plus a commute that sucks 2 - 3 hours a day out of my schedule, just sitting behind the wheel of a car, not to mention other miscellaneous things that pop up that are outside of the regular day to day. Not too much extra time for anything, but at the same time, with the only thing on that list that I would want to give up is the National Guard band and it's about the only thing that I really can't give up. But life is like that. I would really like to move someplace where life is not so hectic but I know if I did, I would miss out on a lot of gigging opportunities and they are like air to me...I need them to stay sane because really when I look at it, my family, music and the trumpet are the only real constants in my life.

Best of luck to you in getting everything in.

email me at: trickg1@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2003-03-21 13:30 ]
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc gave me a sheet with many drills listed covering all aspects of playing.
Since I was on the road playing 2 or 3 three hour shows six days a week at that time he instructed me to touch upon all the areas instead of spending all of my practice time in one area. Also to concentrate on the areas not covered on the gig.
I believe several of us had these sheets with the phrase "touch upon these drills......" somewhere on the sheet.
Chris, Paul, Rich, Dave am I right???????
(something like, "on the road drills"???? My lesson note book is not available at this time)
WEG
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the road drills?

Man, I never got that! I guess because I was such a cripple when I got there . . . and I was never on the road while under Doc's direct tutelage/supervision.

Bill???? I sure would love a copy of that sucker!

He referred to the Touch Upon procedure in the original Orientation and Analysis papers, but there wasn't a whole sheet on that. I bet it's a gem!

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: