• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Airing out in lower end of upper register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, all!

I've been away from home base for almost a couple of weeks, but now I'm back and getting caught up on stuff I've missed, especially regular practice time.

First of all, I had the opportunity to hear and meet our illustrious Reinhardt Forum moderator, Rich Willey, on my trip. I hope I don't come off as brown-nosing when I say that I was really impressed to hear him play trumpet AND bass trumpet live. He's also a really "cut-up" when he chooses to be. He made a couple of jokes in a rehearsal I was sitting in on that made me lose it.

Just before I left on my trip I started working on some new exercises, including the glizzando high register routine for trombone, the inner embouchure legs retention routine, and the essential daily legato practice. I've also been working on adopting the type V tongue for slurring and sustaining for about three weeks. I'm a type IVA trombonist.

I've lately been running into problems when I play above an F over the staff, often airing out for some reason. Like I mentioned, I've been inconsistent with my practicing lately due to my travels, but have been able to play almost every day and at least touch on most things. I've been trying to analyze what I'm doing that's causing the problems but the only thing I can really tell that's different is the type V tonguing. Since this is starting to become more natural for me (meaning that I find myself doing it sometimes without conscious effort) I may still need to adjust my breathing and embouchure to accomodate.

While I've got your attention, Rich mentioned a routine to help trombonists with the A flat trouble note over the staff. What is this exercise? Can you describe it here, or would someone be willing to send it to me? This is an area I've struggled with off and on for quite a while and many of my students also have similar difficulties.

Thanks!

Dave
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave or Rich;
Do you mean the Transition Eraser, Bringing The Top Down, The G Episode (A for Trumpet),Elasticity Routine?
WEG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: