• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

conn-selmer strike

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can say that I would never by a Zeus. However, the reason is because the people who run the company are people I would never do business with, reguardless of the quality of their product.

Based on the originator of this thread I would probably never buy a product from him(her) either.

But I really love the premise. If these people are as good as they claim and care so much about creating a quality instrument they should do so.

Perhaps finding someone who will share their shop for a price would be good way to help out with the start up cost.
songpainter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickyboy2 wrote:
throw in the cost of a warehouse,

Calicchio & Benge both had tiny operations & sold hand made horns for whatever price they asked...what do you think Monette does? he has no warehouse full of inventory, the shop is labor driven, not based upon a square foot 'capacity' If a talented builder made just one horn, by hand & took all day to adjust it, it would make him more than a factory pays him in a week! The fact that Kanstul makes horns for other companies is not because he is desperate for money! Sure, he builds pro horns to order, & you bet there is a tidy price paid for his Chicago Benge copies & the Wild Thing horns sold by Flip...but Kanstul also builds his own STUDENT horns...BACH just sent that overseas! The Chinese are probably a bit better than some unionized, whining, self-entitled American...the US built Bachs took a dive when UMI was born...As did Benge, King & Conn names...by cutting out competition, they have blurred the lines of quality & certainly slurred & abused the names of great vintage horns, like FLAIR, ARISTOCRAT & STRADIVARIUS.
Nickyboy2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as Selmer-Back owned companies go, I never did care too much for their horns. I prefered my getzen 300 over the step-up and pro horns people had in middle school (why people do that I will never know) because the Bachs have that "Bach" sound, that even when i wasn't a great player (not that I am now) that i still didnt like. Now, I did try out a '78 Bach Strad 37, and the only thing I did not like about that was the $1895 price tag. And as for ZeuS, there are plenty of people who won't buy for that same reason. Not sure if his tactics are the same as when I first got my horn (flashback to the ZeuS wars of 2002/2003) but they are still good quality horns from everything I have heard from others who play and have played them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: