• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyhorns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading in the Encyclopedia, that a recommended stance should be "one foot straight out, and the other foot's heel at the arch of the first foot. and to a 45 degree angle. " I should NOT have used quotation marks, but I'm paraphrasing of course. Do you, Chris (Mr. Hollywood), and Rich Willey, Dave Sheetz, etc., .. use this stance? If I'm misrepresenting Doc's words I'm sure you'll correct me. I tried it tonight, and it seemed to help me get more ... I don't know.. *focused* to playing correctly. Faddis talks about being suspended by a string like a puppet, and MF has the weightlifter stance. I'm interested in your thoughts on the *correct* stance. Thanks... ~Steve Hyde~
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-03 02:12, crazyhorns wrote:
Do you use this stance?

Hey, Steve, glad to see you here!

I practiced using that stance for quite a long time, yet I only use it some of the time, not all of the time. Now that I've put on weight it's not as comfortable as planting both feet directly below my shoulders. There have been many times where I notice that my feet have reverted to that position, however. But the gigs where I'm seated I follow Doc's posture guidelines to the letter.

Doc always said to accomplish practicing both while seated and while standing, and that I still do.

Oh, and by the way . . . I still blow water through my horn every day before accomplishing any of my daily blowing chores!

Rich
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what you hear Maynard say about stance, the most important thing is to make sure that your feet are not too far apart.

Doc used to talk about "good old fashioned American showmanship". He was talking about the way guys like Maynard and Chase would stand with their feet way apart like a weight lifter and wave their horns around on inhalations. In the 1970's some of these trumpet players behaved more like rock stars.

Just remember, we are not lifting heavy weight (Unless you are playing a Monette)........We are blowing air into a trumpet.

Two completely different physical acts.

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Mr.Hollywood on 2003-05-03 12:32 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: