• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

email from "editor@trumpetherald.com"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ABQCobb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. This got me, embarrassing as it is.

I got home late last night and had the same email that is posted above. Without thinking, I went to the site from the link, signed in and then...well, nothing! It looked exactly like the trumpetherald! But wait, the spelling is different.
Damn!

Ok, so I still think that if it's a mirror type of site, TH should put the warning (that we see in the forums) prominently displayed on the home page. I suppose it's probably too much of a hassle to email all the members directly. FWIW, I think one of the fake advertisers got me.

I looked up information about the site online as well, but if the site is being hosted by the scammer, well, it's hard to shut that down.

So, if you see any posts by me that don't sound like me (and more like Ron Burgandy, for example) then start worrying!

Changed the password. Hid my credit cards. Got out my phiser voodoo doll and began sticking pins in it...

KC
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.N.A.Mendez wrote:
I'm so concerned ....Well here's a picture of a rabbit with a pancake on it's head while we all decide what to do[img][/img]

I'm not even going to ask why you have picture of a rabbit with two pancakes on its head. I don't even want to know, I don't even want to know........if I keep repeating it, I'll get that picture out of my head, eventually. In the meanwhile, I think I'll drink.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABQCobb wrote:

Ok, so I still think that if it's a mirror type of site, TH should put the warning (that we see in the forums) prominently displayed on the home page. I suppose it's probably too much of a hassle to email all the members directly. FWIW, I think one of the fake advertisers got me.

You mean like the one above, that's popping up on every page of the web site now? Or something even more large and intrusive?
Gomer Pyle USMC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC

Thanks for the tip. I'll look out for those funny spoof addresses. Please give Raymond Cobb my best.

Shazam
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - this whole thing does not bode well for legit traders etc on the market place.

I suspect that this is a reactionary effort from the recent security measures put in place on the market that you have to post before being able to sell.
As these guys know nothing about trumpets etc they figure the can phish your password and then pose under some legitimate identities when selling these fake items.
(Much easier than trying to fake knowing about trumpets)

The thing is that they will be getting your details by rummaging through the site and getting your email details from your profiles etc.
I would suggest anyone whom has their details displayed in their registry or profile to take down their email details etc.

Also - anyone whom has previously sold or traded is probably most likely to be targeted as your details will be in the listings etc.

Perhaps the moderators should consider wiping the Marketplace database completely and starting from scratch again?

My 2 cents worth
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
ABQCobb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:

You mean like the one above, that's popping up on every page of the web site now? Or something even more large and intrusive?

Dr trumpet - if you are referring to the "security alert", yes, that's what I would like to see on the home page, the only page it's not on and the only page the fake site mirrors. All other links go directly to TH from there.

HOWEVER, as of this morning, it looks like TruNpetherald is no longer found. Maybe our moderators, and fellow users, got this thing taken down.
(or maybe it was my voodoo doll?)

Gomer Pyle...my brother Raymond is looking forward to seeing you at the next Synergy concert.

Later,
KC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: