• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Concert Attendance in Colleges

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to All!

I've had a growing concern in my thoughts lately. Concert attendance at the Hartt School has been pretty low throughout the instrumental groups. I realize that Hartt may not be an NEC, Julliard, or Eastman, but it's a HIHGLY underrated school. We have an exceptional classical and jazz program here...a jazz combo at Hartt actually won an award in Downbeats Magazine at one point, as well as saxaphonist Jackie McLean. Our wind ensemble premieres pieces and plays highly complex comtemporary pieces. Our orchestra has performed Shostakovich's Fifth, a Bartok Concerto, and many other professional level pieces. These groups' concerts are poorly attended compared to other schools. I go to see Yale Symphony Orchestra (graduate) perform Mahler's Fifth, and that was greatly attended. Is it all in a name? location? talent? How do other schools compare with this? Any input would be great.

Peace,

Matt
MA Music Therapy & Counseling
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be mostly a problem of location and competing entertainment options. I live in St. Paul, Minnesota, and the various ensembles at the University of Minnesota don't draw large audiences despite being very good and offering professional level music performed at near professional quality.

Then again, the U of MN music program has to compete against the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, the Minnesota Orchestra, the Minnesota Opera, various musicals, local theaters, sports, jazz clubs and various community outreach pro ensembles like the Minnesota Sinfonia. A few years back I attended a U of MN Orchestra concert where they performed Shostakovich's First. Tedd Mann (their venue) was barely half filled. Most U of MN concerts and shows are free too.

IMO, it's not the size of the audience that counts, it's the quality. If your audience is receptive and knowledgeable, then the concert will be that much more enjoyable.
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great point. It's just frustrating to see a concert that you've spent so much time preparing and have a crowd of about maybe fifty. Over here, our biggest competitors are the Hartford Symphony Orchestra (who toured world-wide with Andrea Bochelli a few years ago from what I understand) and the Yale Symphony Orchestra (a competition because of name and quality of performers). Places like UConn and Hartord Conservatory do not give us a run for our money, but then again, their focus on music is not as strong.

When I was in high school, I have seen bigger crowds there than here at college. Obviously it's because high school crowds are comprised of parents and relatives, but still...you'd think that there'd be more local recognition for college groups because of their higher level of musicality.

Take Care,

Matt
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can dig it. I will tell you, as someone who is more of a music fan than a musician (slight conceit sneaking in there ) that audiences for orchestral or art music have been shrinking over the years, and the economic downturn has not helped the situation. I'm not going to patronixe you by telling you to simply keep the faith, because it's clear your music program needs more people like me to come to your concerts (lots of conceit sneaking in there ) Seriously, I have found that when the audience is smaller than expected, there is usually a higher percentage of people present who are serious and enthusiastic about the music.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It pains me to see concerts here at TCU not bring in big crowds. The orchestra just performed The Firebird Suite, Barber's Violin Concerto, and Sensemaya, and the crowd was not very large. I've always believed that it is the students' job to support eachother and attend our colleagues concerts and recitals. A lot of students these days just don't share that same opinion. I wish they did, but it is just the way it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the lot of the people that attend these concerts are hardcore and are/were probabably musicians themselves. A semester ago, the Hartt Wind Ensemble performed Maslanka's "A Child's Garden of Dreams." This piece had so much significance and background, and we spent innumberable hours preparing it for the whole community and others to hear. Aside from the rehearsal time, individuals such as myself spent hours upon hours trying to perfect (or come close to perfection) various, insane licks and runs. We performed this at the Belding Bushnell Hall in downtown Hartford. Nice place, good acoustics. Small crowd. It doesn't disappoint me to see the faces that were there, it disappointed me when there was lack of support overall.

As a group, you need a foundation of support. When the foundation is cracked 1/4 of the way down the basement, you get concerned. Things can (hopefully) only get better for me and other individuals down the road, but it would just be nice to share the love of music with people abroad. It's difficult to explain. Are there any other performers that can back me up on this?

Matt
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also noticed that most of the music performance at the local Junior College and the Stat University get sparse attendance. Much of this may be due to the lack of publicity they receive. Most schools in my area have major budget problems and cannot advertise.

I always try to talk the people I am around into attending these performances. I also attend as many as my schedule permits.

If, as players, we all advertise our performances we may be able to increase attendance.
Piccolo Kanstul ZKT 1520
Mouthpieces Various Monette Prana 2's
Santa Rosa Wind Symphony
SRJC Orchestra
jam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Simsbury, CT and would love to attend a performance. I have also two daughters: 11 years old (piano and cello) and 8 years old (piano and starting the trumpet) who, depending on the type of performance, may want to attend. Problem is that I am normally not aware of when/what/where. Admittedly, with the demands of a busy life, I do not proactively seek out information about Hartt school concerts. But, on the other hand, I can't say that I have seen much in the way of Hartt School marketing. Where does the school advertise?
BarbaraJ11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go find those music business majors, I know you have that at your school! Get them involved, maybe get the business teachers to help design a plan. You might want to form a PR club to start to find free marketing in your area. Many towns and school districts have a local tv station that scrolls through upcoming events. I'm sure they'd list you. Also you need someone to make sure you are listed in the big newspapers upcoming area concerts. Once you know in Sept what is planned, get that info out there. Don't wait for the PR dept to do it. Get the names of local h.s. music dept people and youth orchestra leaders and see if they'd like free tickets? Don't forget the senior centers too. There are lots of music lovers in senior housing that will support you with attendance once they know, if transportation is available of course. I don't know the area at all.
Barbara, band and orchestra parent committee survivor
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this thread.

Its all about publicity. I'm a professional prublicist.......you don't think I made all the living as a trumpeter?!!

Any performance - or group - needs to sit down and seriously devise a strategic publicity campaign for the ensemble/concert - what have you.

As I've told my musicnads and students before, live performance is your reward for years of practice. But you have to do the work of getting the word out first so you can fill those seats.

If anyone needs some specific details, just ask. I'd be glad to help - thats why we're all on the TH.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: