• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Well...guess I need to post retractions.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever anyone asked me my favorite trumpet player, I always said Freddie Hubbard....and Clifford Brown was my second fav.....guess what?? When a very *special* lady asked me to send her copies of my favs, I would have sent her all Miles.....LOL. I am sending her LOTS of Miles and some Freddie and Clifford....but I would have to say Miles is exceptional in his musicmaking....MAN!!!! He just tugs at the heart over and over....) Please forgive me for rambling....

Kurt
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in my case it took years to get into Miles. Basically, I had to grow up. My conclusion...Miles is for adults.
Larry Smithee
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My home town had a great record library, and when I was about 16 I took out "Miles Smiles". Before then I had heard allot of classical and dixiland (my father was a stereo hobbiest, had a Dynaco amp...) so this was the first modern jazz I had ever heard. From the first notes: dup. ba doy-ya do, ba doba do...ba do ba doodle-de do... I was enraptured. A year later I was listening to On The Corner over and over and over... It was my punk music. Better than the MC-5! Many years later, I read that Bill Lazwell had called On the Corner the single most important record of the last 1/2 of the 20th century. I see his point. (most jazzers don't however. It's the rock/funk/hiphop/ambient guys who get it.)

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2003-05-16 14:52 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: