• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CSO

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to their website.
I think you may have a misconception of the procedure.
You must submit a resume,they will then invite you or they will tell you to stay home.
No orchestra in the world listens to every person who wants an audition.
Wilmer
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilmer,

I have never heard of a trumpet player being denied an audition for the CSO. I auditioned for them a few times...the first as a junior in college. As Brewblue said, there are a lot of orchestras that are very selective about invitations to their auditions. However, the CSO actually does take the time to hear everyone who comes. Is that a good idea or not? That's not my call. But, that is the way they do things......believe it or not.

Regarding Loud dog......I'm not sure that this is the place I'd post those feelings (it's always a good idea to hold your cards close to your chest), but I know quite a few people....myself included.....who have those same feelings and thoughts. You have to.
HigherFasterLouder

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilmer,

I'm not going to argue with you any further.

Send Jeff Stang an email: auditions@cso.org

He is the auditions coordinator for the CSO. He will answer all your questions.

HFL

P.S. I've auditioned for the 4th chair a couple times before, and I'm familiar with their process. It is unusual, since most orchestras do screen resumes, but this is the tradition of the CSO.
King1500
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an interesting article on Phil Smith once and this topic reminded me of it. According to the article, Mr. Smith sent resumes to the CSO, and to the Calgary Philharmonic for auditions they were having during the same period of time. He was not invited to play for Calgary, and then he went and won the Chicago job! Wonder if the guys in Calgary remembered the name?

King
trumpetgeek234
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Bud hired right out of college, too?
JDWildcat

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, here's the relevant information taken from the CSO website:

"The most qualified applicant will be accepted even if not immediately available. Preliminary auditions are held behind a screen. Immediate notification of acceptance or rejection is given at all auditions. Please note that only highly qualified applicants should apply. The Audition Committee of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra reserves the right to dismiss immediately any candidate not meeting the highest professional standards at these auditions. Optional cassette tapes may be submitted for pre-preliminary auditions (please do not send cassette tape with resume). Further information on cassette requirements, audition dates, and repertoire lists will be sent upon receipt of resume. Audition dates and repertoire requirements are posted along with positions listed above. They are also recorded on the Audition Hotline (312-294-3271) as soon as they are determined. "
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud was still a student when he won the job if I'm not mistaken. Also, I have a friend who is a tuba player wanted to audition with a major orchestra and was told not to even bother by the audition commitee. He took the audition anyway, and won the job.
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time the CSO had 4th/Utility auditions, I think they heard about 150 people. Jeff told me that they received something like 300 resumes, if I remember correctly. That's a lot, but they definitely do it this way.

I will say this; they've got no compunction about cutting people off after one or two excerpts if they're "not feelin' it". Furthermore, they don't tell you in advance what specifically you'll be playing in a round. If things are going well, they just put excerpt after excerpt on the stand! Fun times!

Bob

[ This Message was edited by: robert_white on 2003-05-15 12:47 ]
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...this is great! It's time for every trumpet player who's ever sat down and listened to Herseth, dreaming grand visions of trumpet glory, to have their SHOT. I think it's awesome....if only everyone on the earth were as passionate about the trumpet than we'd ALL have jobs. Best of luck to everyone who's going to try be it Joe Schmoe or Charlie Guyer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: