• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a good cornet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Kersh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Looking for a good cornet Reply with quote

I have recently joined a British Brass Band and have been searching for a good cornet for the gig. Currently I am playing a L bore Yamaha 233S that doesn't seem to blend well with the rest of the section. The other musicians are playing on Besson Sovereign 928, a few Lawler cornets, a ZeuS Copper Bell cornet, and a Bach Strad 184 ML. Since my experience is mainly with orchestral playing with a Bach L 229H Malone conversion + Monette C 1/2, I could really use some educated feedback from those that have an opinion about shepherd's crook cornets and what they consider good vs. bad.

Any and all comments are welcome as I am looking into all options at this time.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cornet and mp combination you might consider first would be something identical to what others in your band are using. Turning to cornets in the brass band world, the concept is a full dark tone that will light up well in the upper register yet without ever getting too strident. I am not familiar with the Zeus, but I believe it to be a Kanstul made horn. As for cornets to consider at this stage, the large bore shepards crook models are pretty standard in brit brass band tradition. The older Besson Sovereigns have 'the sound'. As for current production instruments, consider the new Besson Prestige (now made under the watchful eye of Buffet Crampon), York Eminence, Smith Watkins Professional or Soloist lines (a lot to choose from here), Yamaha Xeno (or the previous top line Yamama heavy wall pro cornet), Getzen Custom (and just about any other Getzen), Kanstul (signature and custom), Schilke XA1 (I happen to really like this cornet, but some people don't. So be it). As for mp selection, this is critical for getting the right blend. If you're using a mp that puts too much trumpety sound in your tone, then it ain't gonna blend. Check with the other players in your band to see what they are using for mps. Cheers, and good luck on your cornet search. Roy
(Also, if your band is going to NABBA in a couple weeks, many of the better makers will be showing their wares. Check them out.) Cheers!
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in a restored-to-new, JW PEPPER, 1905ish, S-crook, short, email me. I'd let you have it for my cost ($1158) + UPS store shipping. It is also listed here at TH as a trade offer.
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

".......Besson Prestige (now made under the watchful eye of Buffet Crampon),...."

Er,...no! An instrument called 'Besson Prestige' IS made by BC,....only the name is original.....
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I bow to your greater knowledge! Although there have been several recent posts that assert that the BC production Prestige cornets are quite good. Has that been your experience with them as well?
Cheers, Roy
OldTnTptBoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, my experience is that the cornet mouthpiece is largely responsible for the English Brass Band style cornet sound. The cornet requires an entirely different-shaped mouthpiece (cup, bore, depth, etc.) from a trumpet mouthpiece. Using a trumpet mouthpiece shape in a cornet is an entirely unsatisfying playing experience. Mouthpieces are cheap. Next rehearsal, you could ask what mouthpiece most people in the section are playing. You might even be able to borrow one to try for a few days. It will go a long way toward getting you started. Then you could find an inexpensive cornet. But don't buy a junker, even if it has a good name label on it. They are everywhere. Chances are that when you join up, the leader will seat you where you will not stand out poorly. Then, while you are playing with the band, you could be saving and looking for a great cornet. I would suggest you try a Denis Wick 4 or 4B mouthpiece for a start, and see how they play for you in the band. I have one of each. I normally play either a Wick 4B or a 2B. They are very popular .... Oh, and YES you almost always want a lamb's crook wrap cornet for this purpose.
OldTnTptBoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addenda: after my post, I just read ROYNJ's post from this morning, and it looks like really good advice.
mkoveal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Willson Celebration, model 460.....unbelievable cornet!

www.MichaelRBaker.com
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
.....Getzen Custom (and just about any other Getzen).....

Another vote for the Getzens and it doesn't even have to be a new one. Those old Eternas can be really nice too.
I often borrow an older Getzen Eterna Bb cornet from a student of mine and it's absolutely great! He bought it virtually mint for 450 Euro a couple of years ago. I have an Eterna 810-C cornet myself that I'm very happy with too.
FWIW, whenever I want a darkish/warm sound I use a D.Wick 2 mouthpiece (extreme V-shape); for solo or orchestra parts that have to stick out a bit more I prefer Bach 1 or 1B m.pieces. Not that I advise you to use the same sizes, but it is nice to have 2 different mouthpiece concepts available that you feel 100% comfortable swopping with. Sound wise it's like having 2 or 3 completely different instruments, really.

MvW.
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - I don't know what your budget is - but you need not look any further than here. Not inexpensive - but absolutely unreal horns. The best I have ever played (and I have played most of the major horns in this game)

http://www.smithwatkins.com/

or here

http://www.cambrass.com/products/master_Bb_cor.html

I already own the Stomvi and have a new Smith Watkins "Soloist" model arriving from Great Britain today (yipeeeeee !!!!!!!!!)

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a Bach fan, and play a Bach 43 Bb and a 239 C. For brass band, I play a large bore Bach 184G short cornet, and it works very nicely. I generally play it with a Wick 4B mouthpiece for a nice brass band cornet sound. A few others in the band also play 184's, and there are a few Getzens, Yamahas, a Besson, a Schilke, and a Flip Oakes in the section. I'd say any of those brands' professional model short cornets could suit you, but you should probably play-test any you think you may be interested in before buying.
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good cornet Reply with quote

I tried all the cornets on display at ITG 33 using my Sparx mouthpiece. For me (and I stress ME) I found the Schilke XA1 to have the sound I wanted.

Before you give up on your current horn, try a true cornet mouthpiece first. A much cheaper alternative. When I changed, it made a big difference in the sound. No more bright trumpet-like sound in the lower register. I like the Sparx but it may not be the best for you. If you can see if one of the other players will let you try their's. You will be able to narrow down the field somewhat.
Piccolo Kanstul ZKT 1520
Mouthpieces Various Monette Prana 2's
Santa Rosa Wind Symphony
SRJC Orchestra
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold an older Getzen 800S and bought a new Getzen Custom 3850S. I couldn't be happier with it. Stellar instrument, and at $1300 or so including shipping from Chuck Levins, it can't be beat.

BTW, there was nothing wrong with the 800S. I just found that I was having a really hard time playing at extreme volumes without fighting intonation too much.
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
... a Wick 4B mouthpiece for a nice brass band cornet sound. ..

When I use a Wick (3 no letter currently), I get a definite Flumpetish tone from my cornet(s). Is that what BBB's are listening for in the cornet section?
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When I use a Wick (3 no letter currently), I get a definite Flumpetish tone from my cornet(s). Is that what BBB's are listening for in the cornet section ?"

Maybe back row stuff but it is a tad too warm (and deep) for front row or repiano stuff IMHO

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
BTW, there was nothing wrong with the 800S. I just found that I was having a really hard time playing at extreme volumes without fighting intonation too much.

Only the low volume (whisper) was difficult or just the high volume?
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High volumes. The cornet responded very well in the softs. It was just hard to control loudly.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenoValet wrote:
When I use a Wick (3 no letter currently), I get a definite Flumpetish tone from my cornet(s). Is that what BBB's are listening for in the cornet section?

Here's my take....I don't really know what a flumpet sounds like, but I think the "regular" BBB cornet sound should be about halfway between a "regular" trumpet sound and a "regular" flugelhorn sound. The BBB cornet sound can go closer to either, though, depending on the music played. I've heard some cornet parts played with a trumpet-like tone by BBB's, but it was appropriate to the piece being played. I think a rich, strong-but-reserved sound is what most would strive for. All that business I've seen posted on various sites saying that a cornet should sound flugel-like is rubbish. That's what the flugel in the band is for. Now, when you get outside the BBB realm, cornets used in concert band should probably be a little brighter and project more, and if you're soloing on a cornet or are the only cornet/trumpet in a small group, anything goes - it's your call.
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
GenoValet wrote:

Here's my take....I don't really know what a flumpet sounds like, but I think the "regular" BBB cornet sound should be about halfway between a "regular" trumpet sound and a "regular" flugelhorn sound. The BBB cornet sound can go closer to either, though, depending on the music played. ..

Hey Dale. I'm thinking that the Flumpet(tm) horn should be 1/2 way between the typical cornet & typical flugel timbres. But with every safari I'm more & more convinced that every horn needs more than one mouthpiece to tailor the horn to the music being played. Unless of course you are only playing in one genre. I like being brighter when noodling behind the vocalist but much much darker when soloing on a ballad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: