• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What defines "pops"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see by the subject, I have a simple, dumb question. I tried a search on it and wasn't too successful. Forgive my uncleanliness, but I haven't listened to a pops orchestra before (I hate local record stores). With just what I've heard about them, it seems like the trumpeters use Bflat's and shallower mouthpieces, so is the sound supposed to be brighter and zappier? For a beginning listener, what does this genre include, and what CD might be a nice introductory sound that epitomizes the style? Thanks .
Bartok
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops are USUALLY defined as a lighter, less serious music program. It won't usually have "classical" music on the program. (No Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, Brahms, etc.)

Pops concerts often have show tune medleys (Sound of Music, Oklahoma, etc.)

Sometimes, movie music (Star Wars, Apollo 13, etc.)

Patriotic music (Armed Forces Salute, God Bless America)

Jazz medleys (Ellington, Glenn Miller, etc.)

Most Pops orchestras still use C trumpets, but will sometimes use Bb's also. I know that Boston Pops still use a lot of C trumpet and so does Cincinnati Pops....2 of the most well-known groups. Often, players will go to a different set up (mouthpiece, horn) because these programs can be very demanding. A two and 1/2 hour Pops concert is usually going to be 3 times the playing compared to a normal orchestral concert. Some go to a smaller mouthpiece....whether that be a shallower piece or maybe a mouthpiece that isn't bored out, like they would normally use. I use a Laskey 80D, and 80C with a 24 throat and 24 BB, but for long Pops gigs, I usually use a Laskey 80MC with a 25 throat and stock BB.

As for recordings....I don't own any "Pops" recordings, but I'd say that you should check out some Cincinnati Pops recordings with Erik Kunzel. They record A LOT and I think they have a few recordings with Doc Severinson.

Hope this helps.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Pops concerts present material that is strictly in a popular vein, like all the categories Bartok mentioned above. I think "classical" works (as in works written by composers known for writing art music as opposed to popular music) would be included if they are not demanding on the listener, fit with the theme of the concert (if there is one) and feature a recognizable or catchy melody. Examples of such music would be Elgar's 1st Pomp and Circumstance march, Gershwin's Porgy and Bess suite, most anything by composers like Victor Hebert or Leroy Anderson and Mozart's Rondo alla Turca arranged for orchestra.

I also think the "Pops" tag is dependent on presentation. You can get recordings of pops ensembles doing Ravel's Bolero, but paired with less demanding works. That is to say, you may see Bolero on a pops concert program, but you probably wouldn't see Bolero paired with Daphnis and Chlöe on a pops bill.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boston Pops have recorded some great CD's. My personal favorites are "A Splash of Pops" with Liberty Fanfare on it as well as Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, 1812 Overture, and Stars and Stripes Forever. My other favorite Boston Pops CD is "A Celtic Album". Has a beautiful tune on it called "Magh Seola", you should definitely look into getting some recordings of the Boston Pops.
TossedSalad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pops"

Isn't he that embouchure guy who is always plugging his books on the TH?

TossedSalad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: