• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High D is all you need for orchestra?!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tal Katz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right.
Those NY Phil orchestra guys can play high.
I have some Phil Smith cds and he can play high too.
I heard his Double G and it's amazing.

Tal Katz,
Young Israel Philharmonic,
Israel
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be summed up that all professional orchestral players are highly developed trumpet players that routinely do not play much beyond a concert C or D, but because of their development they have much more range beyond that. I think that most well developed trumpet players can play up to double G and beyond. Personally, I think you need to have at least a P4 higher range than the note required in the music in order to play the note most effectively and efficiently. Just a my rule of thumb...

[ This Message was edited by: clarion89 on 2003-05-27 11:16 ]
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's amazing how angry I made some people (*ahem* Bartok lol) with mentioning just a couple sentences. Maybe you should ditch the trumpet and take anger management therapy instead. I have heard that from a couple teachers who knew people who had played/do play trumpet in the NY Philharmonic. Perhaps I worded my sentence incorrectly, you might not NEED to have that range to get the job but I'm sure with certain pieces that probably do go up that high (or close) it would really come in handy to have. If I was misinformed please just tell me, there's no reason to call the comment idiotic because by doing that you're just making yourself look more idiotic than anyone else.

Oh and as for the sightreading, I didn't just mean playing the notes, I meant the counting out rests as well!

[ This Message was edited by: AccentOnTrumpet on 2003-05-27 16:55 ]
Bartok
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I was hard on you.....I think Clarions post summed it up well though!

I know all of the players in the NY Phil. They all have incredible ranges.......simply because they play the horn so well. Every trumpet player at a level of having a professional orchestral job can play a high G.
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's cool. I didn't really have enough information to verify what I had heard so my apology for that once again, but I think when I heard reliable sources telling me about the Double G thing, it kind of stuck with me as something to shoot for I guess. I'm well aware that those guys are all incredible players with great range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: