• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beta Blockers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King1500
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are peoples feelings on using beta blockers? I talked to my teacher about this and he suggested trying them once to see the effects. I am curious to know if any of the big boys use these?! Not names, just if it is something even the heavy hitters use to help with nerves and such.

Craig
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search here on this site on Beta Blockers. You will find that they have been talked about ad nausium. Mostly by people who have never tried them or don't know the slightest thing about what they are talking about.

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to be aware of is to consult a doctor before taking any form of beta blockers. While the correct dosage could really help you, too much could kill you. These drugs are not to be taken lightly! That being said, I've talked to quite a few pros that swear by them and have had very good results. Your teacher is right. Try them and see how they affect you. If you aren't at a point in your development where you are under pressure a lot though, I would just practice more if I was you and worry about it later. I wouldn't recommend taking them before a serious audition or recital was on the horizon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mileage
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting thread and one that's bound to get plenty of for and against responses.Obviously we all want to play well and in a particularly stressful occasion you may be inclined to do anything to make life easier.I've been offered BB's on more than a few occasions.I never took them, and to be honest I never disgraced myself that badly that I wish I had. What I think is more important is that people feel so pressured that they have to turn out note-perfect performances time after time which makes this dependence on BB's so common-and it is common.
Lonelyangel had some very valid points to say on this subject. I don't mean to generalise,I know that there are many people who use BB's wisely on a few occasions to ensure a more comfortable performance but are otherwise not dependant on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: