• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Symphony Audition Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tims9999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In less than two weeks I am auditioning for a horn (french) part in the Youth Symphony in my city. The symphony is one of the best youth symphonies in the state and the instructor has told me that it will be very hard to get in. What I plan on doing is knocking his socks off (or try to- I have to think confident right now .) But my problem is that I get super nervous. I've read on previous posts that you have to face your fears, how would I face my fear? This is my first ever real audition, so i am not sure what will happen. The Youth Symphony instructor, I think, plans on me not being very good, since i am not "experienced with orchestral settings."
I guess what I am trying to ask is: how should I prepare myself mentally and the piece I am playing? Thanks a lot for bearing with me so many times on my posts.
TopGun
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Play the list down every day and pretend you are playing it for the conductor.
-If you get to pick what you play don't look for hard stuff. Look for things that you will sound great on.
-If the audition is in a hall or large room try to get in there and play the list down a few days before hand. If it is in his office don't try to sneek in. If you can't get in the hall try to get in a similar space.
-Tape yourself everyday playing the list down. Listen to the tape and then work on what needs work.
-If you still have stuff to learn start on the hardest licks. Don't put learning them off.
-Don't go in there trying to prove anything. That is just more pressure you don't need.
-Expect the audition to go about the same as your daily run through of the list. If you run it through 1 or 2 times you will not have a good idea of how it will go. If you run it through 14 time you will have a good idea of what to expect and that should help with the nerves.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,
TopGun
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful post TG. You are one of the posters that really makes this place special and a wonderful leanring enviornment. Keep it up and Thanks!

In Peace,

TM
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/3612/VC-Auditions.html
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my website I have a page called "Change Your Mind, Not Your Mouthpiece" devoted to mental practice & performance anxiety. It needs to be updated, but let me just add that it worked for me. I recently passed my audition for the DMA program at OU and firmly believe that these ideas were almost as valuable as the physical skills I have on the horn. (I worked in another field for many years and played recreationally much of that time. It had been 18 years since my last recital.)

http://www.geocities.com/vienna/strasse/7826/mental.html

Hope this helps,
Matt
Williams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two phrases that have helped me in the past:

"Express not impress."

"Other peoples opinions of me are none of my business"
tims9999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, these past two sites and the wonderful posts by TopGun and Williams are really helpful. Thank you very much for you time and help.

[ This Message was edited by: tims9999 on 2003-05-17 13:29 ]
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is one more good link for this....

http://www.yeodoug.com/resources//symphony_auditions/yeoauditions.html
bachstrad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Di,
that link is broken, have you been there recently or is that a saved link? (Just wondering if i should save it cause it might be up later?)
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are refering to the yeo link i just used it and it works..

jason
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific posts, folks!

Another great thing to do is to set up a few "mock auditions" for yourself. I will do this with my students several times before their official audition to prepare them for the experience. I teach at a music store, so there is always an audience...I'll pull the student into the store spur-of-the-moment, and have him/her play the piece for whoever is standing there. The first time is always the hardest, but it gets easier with experience. Come audition time, they are seasoned performers (well, in an ideal world, anyway)!

Good Luck, Tims, and let us all know how it comes out! We're all with you regardless --

Paul Poovey
tims9999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my audition and it went very well. I drank a lot of water but my was mouth still as dry as the Sahara . The conductor told me ahead of time that I was accepted into the symphony, so I am very happy! I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but you don't even know who I am, so it doesn't matter. Thanks for all the info and those links were really helpful.

[ This Message was edited by: tims9999 on 2003-06-01 20:19 ]
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: