• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Westcoast schools for indivual trumpet study?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitchb

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which schools on the westcoast are the best for trumpet study? I'm not planning on going too far from home, so if anyone has suggestions, I would very much oblige.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USC has a couple of the LA Phil players teaching there. Washington has Alan Vizzutti although I'm not sure how much he's actually there. Those two would be a couple to look into a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jcdob
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASU with David Hickman is a great school.

JC
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boyde Hood is at USC, Mario Guarnari is at S. F. Conservatory. Because of the size of those cities, (and I should include Seattle), I don't think you can go wrong. There will be a lot of great players to study with, plus great orchestras and jazz to see live.
1B
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another place to think about attending is Cal Arts. Edward Carroll is teaching there now and heading the brass department. Ed is an incredible teacher who has vision. He has built his career by paving new roads instead of following the beaten trail. He is an excellent trumpet teacher and I believe the program that is offered at Cal Arts is unique and WORTHY of exploration.

Mike Z.
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sub with our community college and we played a concert with San Jose State wind ensemble last night...They Were GREAT! Really good musicians.

You may want to look into that school. I'm just basing this on what I heard last night..but you never know until you check it out.

good luck
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Jens Lindeman is at UCLA. He's a fantastic player, nice guy, and has a lot to offer as a teacher. He's fairly new to the university teaching game (got the job in the past few years), so I'm not sure how it is week to week as far as developing players, but you could easily ask some students there. I know he's great in a master class setting: the results I've seen have been amazing in just a few minutes. I'm also not sure how much he's there. That can be an issue with someone who's really in demand as a soloist, so make sure you know how much time he's actually there.
With Vizzutti, my understanding is that that wasn't a permenant position. I thought it was more of a temporary artist in residence type thing but I could be wrong. Does any one out there know?
Where ever you go, make sure you get a lesson before deciding as not all teaching styles fly with all students. A friend and I once each got lessons with Mario Guarnari. My friend thought his lesson was great, I left baffled. Mario Guarnari's (at least from my experience) very much on the analytical side of things. That's not meant as a criticism: he seemed very nice, knowledgable, and sounded great, but that approach just left me confused Try to understand your needs as a trumpet student and find the place that meets those needs. Different strokes....

[ This Message was edited by: JoseLindE4 on 2003-05-10 14:33 ]
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince Green and Lauren Anderson at Western Washington University(http://www.wwu.edu/music/). Both players are affiliated with Seattle Symphony and Seattle Ballet (although I've not seen them in tutu's ....). Anderson studied under William Cole. Good teachers, small classes - makes good sense to me. Just make sure you have a water proof gig bag ....
Teemu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best Bay Area trumpet instructors is Jay Rizzetto at Cal State Hayward. It is close to home for you and would be an excellent choice even if it weren't.
Charlie Proctor
wbing

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a shamless plug for the school where I teach, Cal State University Northridge. The trumpet teachers there, besides myself, are David Washburn (principal trumpet in the LA Chamber Orchestra and Wayne Bergeron (studio and big band lead trumpet/jazz artist). To be fair, there are many fine teachers and schools in the LA area. USC is, of course, the best known and has the greatest number of outstanding students in the area. But there are fine students in all of the schools. Cal State Fullerton (Mark Garrenbrandt), Cal State Long Beach (Tim Morrison, Dave Evans, Rob Frear, Charlie Davis), Cal State Los Angeles (Kevin Brown) all have fine teachers and programs. I'm sure there are others as well, but those are the four year schools that I am most familiar with....and, of course, Los Angeles is a great place for music. The depth of great players and teachers in this area is absoutely amazing!
CWUTrumpetFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you should really consider Central Washington University. Its a little less than two hours east of Seattle, not that far, and we have an amazing professor hear by the name of John Harbaugh. He has studied with both Keith Johnson and Bill Adam. He can really get you motivatated and your playing will take off! We have lots of chances to perfrom and next year not only will we be having our annual TrumpetFest with guest artist, but we will be hosting the regional competition for the National Trumpet Competition!!! This year for trumpetfest Harbaugh's good friend Charlie Davis came up and played, and Bill Adam will be up here soon enough. But our studio is very active and only getting better. Its a great atmosphere and not too far from the big city.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: