• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Simon Rattle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently watching a program on the cable channel "Ovation" about Simon Rattle. I've always loved his recordings with Birmingham, but I've never heard much biographical info on him. What a cool guy! If you get Ovation, I recommend you try to watch this program. This is the second time of which I know it's been on.

Perchance, has anyone on here worked with Rattle? Anyone know anything interesting about him?

Thanks,
John
P.S. Here's a funny quote by Maestro Rattle on this program: "This is a stupid profession for me to have taken up as I don't much like being in the public eye."

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-05-28 15:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-05-28 18:03 ]
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:35 am; edited 3 times in total
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-28 16:10, big brian wrote:
Hey.

Its Birmingham.

B.

Sorry...I knew that. My typing finger got away from me.
John
Note: I've edited my above faux pas.

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-05-28 18:07 ]
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the EMI website @ http://www.emiclassics.com. Maestro Rattle is currently an EMI artist. They should have a bio on him.

Currently Maestro Rattle is the Artistic Director of the mighty Berliner Philharmoniker. I believe EMI has him working on recording an entire Mahler cycle. Before taking over the Berlin post, Sir Simon already recorded quite a few CDs with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.

Thos.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2003-05-28 23:14 ]
King1500
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Sir Simon conduct Mahler 5 at Carnegie with the Philadelphia Orchestra a little over a year ago. It was incredible. His interpretation was outstanding. IMHO it was even better than his recording with Berlin. Maybe being there has something to with that though. It was the only concert where I have been focused for the most part on the conductor. To watch him was something else. Oh, and David Bilger did have a great night as well!!!

Craig
bhipp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked with Maestro Rattle, nor have I any interesting stories about him. All I can say is that I saw him with the Birmingham SO doing Mahler's 7th (he conducted by memory) in LA, and it was one of the best performances I ever saw/heard. I'll always remember it.

peace
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im growing the hair, maybe thats why hes so good?! i hope it works!!!

sam
greedo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst I was studying at the Royal Academy in London, the trombone player in my quintet was from Birmingham, and had subbed with the orchestra a bunch. He said Rattle was amazing and really fun and easy to work with. He also recorded with them, playing offstage on their recording of Walton's Balshezzar's Feast.
My teacher at the time, John Wallace had supposedly roomed with Rattle while they were in school together at the Royal Academy.
As for me, I met him once, before a recital. He's only like 3 feet tall, with the afro, 3 foot 6. (exaggeration, not really). And he was with this blonde chick that was like 6 ft tall. weirdness.
I also went up to Birmingham once and saw him conduct Mahler 3. Greatness. Alan Whitehead played the posthorn solo, and John Holland was the man on stage. Their recording of Mahler 6 is pretty sweet.
out.
trumpetgeek234
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen him live doing Mahler 5th and Le sacre du printemps both with the Berlin Philharmonic. I must say that both were exceptional performances. I think he is one of the best conductors in the world!

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetgeek234 on 2003-06-03 16:35 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: