• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TH Issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptfrbrains wrote:
The problem is not with the moderators. Perhaps we would do better if we ourselves reacted immediately on threads where trolls appear, and let them know that they are unwanted.

Roger, I agree! Then some get over eager, but the larger obstacle is our wretched tendency to be chocolate soldiers and sunshine patriots.

Opprobrium certainly has its place. Especially when it comes to manners.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that your photo is somehow triggering his keystrokes?
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Could it be that your photo is somehow triggering his keystrokes?

I suppose that's a possibility. However, up until a couple weeks ago my avatar was my daughters picture.

I really don't care about this guy. I just see it all the time on TH. I just wanted to voice my opinion.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far, the best approach to this sort of situation is to:

1. Ignore the post(er); and,
2. PM the Moderators asap with the thread linked (copy from the address bar and paste into your message) to make it easy to find.

HTH - Don
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats funny. I read the second post about Joe having a stalker and after reading some examples i began to chuckle to myself. Frankly I agree with joe about the purpose of this forum. and as Far as you're concerned Joe, I respect you and feel fairly confident when you reply to any of my topics. I consider you to be very knowledgeable and generally very helpful and nice. however, there are posters who arent. and heaven forbid if one of the students who may not know as much misspeak or not understand something.. or just post something out of blind ignorance! I have been talked down to in this forum and on Trumpet Master (in fact one of my recent thread over there turned into a toilet humor thread.. )

Joe has it right. be nice and guide your fellow trumpeter down the correct path, and if someone has corrected someone with wrong information.. PLEASE find a tactful way to fix the misguidance. I have learned so much since i became a member here just by reading and sharing what little I do know. let's keep this a good safe place for everyone.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped most of my posting for many of the same reasons that Joe cites - I just got tired of the same old garbage from the 'Peabodys' - 'peons' who think they are 'somebody'. Frankly, I kind of fit the bill on that myself - who am I kidding - do I really have anything valuable or new to add that hasn't already been said by someone with better credentials than mine? However, at least I don't hide who I am on the board.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the need for anonymity for actual established pros here who weigh in with advice from time to time. They also seem to be the ones who do not argue or demean when someone questions their judgment- WTH? If one isn't willing to accept free advice from someone who really knows what they're talking about, thanks, and have a good day! It also allows some of them to participate without the constant hassle from the many "autograph-seekers". I guess I don't have to worry about having someone honestly slam me or my opinions, besides, it makes no difference, especially if the chances we'd meet up somewhere are nil. The one time since the R/P portion was cut (and there I'd expect serious differences) I had a person ridicule me and a position here (to the point of where several posters far better than I told him- I think it was a guy- to knock it off), I offered in a PM to meet up with him at ITG and discuss things face to face. That ended it.

While I believe that this is a great site for all sorts of information by persons from all levels and from around the globe, I worry about what all this open anonymity is doing to our society(s), where one neither is held to credibility nor accountability any longer for what one says or may post. Between the internet and all the mindless texting on cell phones (I have 2 students who only send me texts about lesson times, etc., when a call would be cheaper and would need no follow-up), some day soon we are going to need to re-learn human communication skills, face to face, as well as how to read body language and the entire gamut of exchanging information or just have to remain indoors and never chance meeting and actually having to deal directly with a live human. Are courtship (that's dating...) and marriage vows soon to take place entirely by text or email in the near future? (That might actually keep more people together longer...)

I rarely mind having my judgment questioned, or the pointing out when I'm wrong, have misspoken, or am using obsolete information by someone who knows better or has more up-to-date knowledge. I will almost always immediately apologize, which over the years I have discovered that the "I'm sorry" or "excuse me" is usually the easiest way out of many situations that could lead to either uncomfortable circumstances or out-and-out lying. To be ridiculed, or demeaned, however, brings a far different response, as well it should. I always believe that it is too bad we don't always know to whom we converse on this site, and how their experience and abilities stack up against our own. Such is life in the cyberworld.
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-edit- rant deleted
Joe I've heard your name from some buddies at the Norfolk band. I hear you're a great player. Good luck with the stalker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: