• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Atlanta SO CD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up the Atlanta Symphony's new CD of the Vaughan Williams' "Sea Symphony" with Robert Spano conducting. If you don't have this one you should get it. These days it is getting harder and harder to hear American orchestras on CD, especially since NY, Philly, Boston, Cleveland, LA, and many others have lost their recording contracts. Fortunately for us Atlanta still records a few CDs each year. The VW Symphony is an hour long choral symphony set to poetry by Walt Whitman with lots of great brass writing.

Chris Martin, principal trumpet of the ASO and one of the finest under-30 brass players out there, sounds absolutely wonderful. His sound is big and full and stays big and full when playing loud. His sound and musicianship is very mature and well beyond his years. His playing serves as the benchmark for the next generation of American trumpeters.

John Urness
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I agree with you Chris Martin is a fabulous player. He had a chance to leave Atlanta for principle in another major orchestra and he chose to stay. He is such a nice and unassuming guy. He gave a clinic when Yamaha, in conjunction with Carere Music, had a Trumpet clinic to promote theire Xeno line of horns. His sound is amazing. As a sideline Bob Malone was there and did a short presentation that night.

Mike
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's his background? Where did he train etc.

Thanks for the info.

Dave Bacon
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris studied with Larry Black in high school and then went on to study with Barbra Butler and Charlie Geyer.

somebody correct me if i am wrong.

I heard him as a soloist at the GA brass band concert a few weeks ago. he was having an off night at first, but it was still an extremely impressive performance.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Martin won his first job, Assoc. Principal in Philadelphia, right after graduating from Eastman at age 22.

JU
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I heard him as a soloist at the GA brass band concert a few weeks ago. he was having an off night at first, but it was still an extremely impressive performance.

I was at this concert, also. Very good show, and you couldn't beat the price (Free!) And what kind of high school was that? Larger than most colleges I've seen-

Chris just arrived in Atlanta from Japan about 4 hours before the concert, and still handled the Arutunian and Virgen very well. He's supposed to play a solo with the ASO during the first few weeks of next season. I'd really like to check it out.

Kurt Z
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah man that high school was out of this world...better than some colleges...i think it was some private school for all the doctors children and such in atl.

Could you see Chris’s level of concentration jump as he got into the Arutunian? You could just see it on his face, like he sucked the mental power out of every one in that room for him to focus. It was unreal.

All in all, it was a good performance. I am just glad I didn’t have to play that E flat cornet part..that guy was up there the whole night.
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Chris gave an outstanding performance. Especially since he just got off the plane ....

What killed me was the fact I remember him running around as a kid ... in 1984-85 when I marched Spirit of Atlanta ... and Freddy (his dad) was the Executive director ...

Dang, I am getting OLD!
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on the E-Flat Cornet patrs.. That guy had to be Dying by the end.. Jerry Pollard ( Condcutor of Roman Brass) & I commented at the break how you need to E-flat players to keep uop with a program like that.. Know we all know why they say E-flat Cornetist are a little crazy ..

Chris performance was very nice.. I know a couple of the the Cornetist & they said it was an off night for them & that also made it tough on Chris..

What is amazing is how YOUNG all the ASO trumpets are!! I didn't think the 2nd Trumpeter on Bugler's Holiday was also one of the ASO trumpters.. I thought he looked a little old for High School but thought he was a College student..

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the second trumpet on buglers was Chris's brother i belive..not the second in the ASO..the second in the ASO is about 60 something and about to retire in 3 or 4 years , the 3rd guy on buglers is the new 4th guy in the ASO and yeah he is pretty young....the ASO trumept section averge age is pretty young the new 4th player is in his mid 20's as is chris, the 3rd a/p(mark) isnt that old either but i am not sure how old he is...the ony one that has some age on him is the 2nd player.
BigBells

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also at the Brass Band show a couple of weeks ago (long-drive!) Chris sounded amazing - his double-toungueing was so even! I talked with them all afterwards and found out that Michael Martin played 3rd on Bugler's and is going to Northwestern next year. The new fourth player in the ASO played second on it. Chris said afterwards that the concert was the first time they had all played it together! Not bad!
trptczar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: trptczar on 2003-06-05 12:55 ]
TossedSalad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the whole section are BIG Braves fans.

TossedSalad

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/HappyMeal.htm

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/BetterThanSex.htm
Short'n

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short I say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: