• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

RANDY IS DANDY!!!! Hargrove Grooves....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing all this RANDY talk about both Brecker and Hargrove...made me dig out my old Brecker-meet Brecker CD!

I too feel that Randy's talent is amazing. His trumpet voicing is exactly what I feel a trumpet should sound like....Randy has intensity...power and punch but uses contrasts and knows all the right stuff. He paints a beautiful full spectrum of sound colorization that is truly not only unique but inspiring.
Too bad Randy hasn't recorded more often...but for those who love Brecker....he brings his talent as a side man and compliments many other musicians on all kinds of other recordings from other artists. I just wish the Brecker Brothers would record more "GREAT STUFF!"

Again, I bought the DownBeat mag. and what a great review??? and looking forward to buying both Brecker and Groovin Groves' new recordings... Too Cooooooooooooooooool!
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it all Don! I've been a huge fan of Randy's for years now. One of the few players IMHO, that I admire as both a section player/sideman as well as a front-man. Such fluidity in his playing and command of chords and structure. What a player!
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments on Randy...Here is a link to THE BROTHA-BRECKA'
http://www.randybrecker.com
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up both of these CD's this week, Brecker's '34th and Lex' and Hargroves 'RH Factor'. I've only given Hargrove's a cursory listen but have given Brecker's a thorough going over. I think he is playing better trumpet than he was 10 years ago. He is exploring all venues over the past few years - from this idiom to the Dizzy reunion big band, he's getting around. The stuff on '34th and Lex' doesn't seem too much different than what he was doing on 'Return of the Brecker Brothers' in the mid 90's though. It's cool but nothing to rave about. Hargrove's 'RH Factor' is going to get a better run tonight but at 1st listen it is a departure from what Hargrove has shown in the past. The opening cut smacks of a Grace Jones meets Bob Marley and Busta Rhymes in the back of Nat Adderly's house. I am not going to throw either of these out.
Both of these CD's are a wake up call for me. I have been playing in traditional jazz environments (unplugged ...) for the past several years. I am taking this as a wake-up call that there are other forms of music going on and if done tastefully, it may be time to explore what is going on in electronic music.

Kanstul Burbank Flugel Horn & Warburton 3XFL
Music Ed Maj at WWU fall 2003.

[ This Message was edited by: bophead on 2003-06-06 17:33 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: