• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's so great about the teachings of Arnold Jacobs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGale,
[/i]In my opinion, a moderator should be moderate. He should consider what he says carefully so as not to inflame the situation further- and ahould take disputes elsewhere. Too many people are leaving TH because of this kind of behavior,[/i]

Do you have any idea exactly what you are saying, RGale?

• a moderator should be moderate.
  • He should consider what he says carefully
  • ahould take disputes elsewhere.

• because of this kind of behavior, many people are leaving TH

Aren't you expressing the exact opposite of what you want to say?

.... anybody who can't understand what is so great about Jacobs' teaching should consult with some of his former students.

Did it occur to you that "What's so great about the teachings of Arnold Jacobs?" is exactly that. A request to someone (who is supposedly well versed in the teachings) to expound on that subject.

I'm being respectful here RGale, and I expect the same from you.

which frankly strikes me as childish.

IMO, this is borderline disrespect. Using the word "childish" is a means of putting down the person it is directed at without giving him the reasons needed to counter the accusation. It could even be categorized as baiting.

BTW, I like your sound files. Tasty ensemble playing. Nice quintet. Unlike the Hydra, I have only one head, hence only one face and you don't have to wonder if these remarks are said sarcastically.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2003-06-07 11:16 ]
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by JRoyal on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really did happen to John Mohan? Didn't he moderate the Claude Gordon Forum for a time and then suddenly disappear?

(this is a genuine question)

Dave
londonhusker
Troll P Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Troll P Troll on 2003-07-30 18:59 ]
allofyougetalife
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I'll try to answer Bugleboy's question.

The great thing about Jacobs teaching is the simplicity of it. If you've got your act together physically with no major hangups (chops, tension, etc), Jacobs focus on the "Song" and "Sound in your head," helps many in the goal to make music!

AOYGAL
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-07 10:02, RGale wrote:
In my opinion, a moderator should be moderate.

That sounds pretty weak if you ask me. Oh, don't have any absolutes just sit on the fence and be "moderate". Sounds synonymous with don't have a spine. Don't commit to anything that you may have back up. A moderator should be moderate? How about a pig should be pork.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wonderful thing about Mr. Jacobs teaching was that it was artistic in nature.

It also worked.

Dave Bacon
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by JRoyal on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
trptczar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is for sure bugleboy. You really are making a name for yourself on the TH. Maybe a gig will come of it.

tc
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-07 07:30, Batmann wrote:

Citizen E-Bay Jazz,

This matter is out of your league, you are still eating shoe leather from the last time you tried to put together more than one coherent sentence together. You are the epitome and a prime example of one who has never had a clue, your skin is much too thin to become involved in this one.

^00^
^^

I guess you're right Batmann, I'll leave the arguing to the people who really know trumpet playing, like yourself.
Although you've never actually played with anyone or taught anyone, from your posts I can just tell that you are one of the countrys greatest musicians. I'll stay out of your way from now on and my apoligies for stepping on your toes.

Sincerely;

Citizen Ebay Jazz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptczar,

One thing is for sure bugleboy. You really are making a name for yourself on the TH. Maybe a gig will come of it.

Fruit picking season will be coming up. Maybe you'll get taken on again and be able to visit Tampa one more time.
Troll D Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troll,
You seem to know a heck of a lot about Bugleboy's "balls."

Troll
Quote:

On 2003-06-07 11:56, Troll P Troll wrote:

Second, this trait of Bugleboy is referred to by people as having "balls." This trait is NOT shared by you nameless trolls.
Troll P Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Troll P Troll on 2003-07-30 19:00 ]
Batmann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-bay,
You play flat in the upper register. And you never replied to "The Common Quest". You got so pissed off that you attacked me. Like I said before your skin is too thin.
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, all you guys need to make out and get it over with.
i thought id read about arnold jacobs and his teaching here.
thanks for making me waste my time.

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should respond to Mr. Raymond . Sorry I took a while to get back. Mr. Jacobs teachings were very much tailored to the individual, and very good explanations are in print in two books. "Arnold Jacobs- Song and Wind", is probably the better of the two. I will try to briefly sum up though, and keep in mind I only had a few lessons. He told me that although my lung capacity is good, I was compressing the air too much and not letting it flow as it should. I should blow a little out the sides of my mouth if it helped with better freedom of the airflow.He said a little lip buzzing -just 2 minutes daily or so- would also help and then mouthpiece and so on into the trumpet. He taught me to "mentalize" the sound; that is, hear the sound very accurately and completely in my mind before I played, imagining that I was sounding just like the greatest player I could think of for the music in question.He pointed out that given a certain level of technical ability, if your concept of how it was supposed to sound is strong enough, your body will usually find a way to make it happen. Too many players get caught up in technique and forget to make music, which is the point. That doesn't mean you ignore technique at all; he knew a staggering amount about it and many other subjects, but he always kept the focus on result, not process. He was a man of incredible learning and was also a very kind and loving sort of man. He probably would have taught other people in a different way, but this is what I got from him , to be brief about it.
My remarks on moderation should not be misunderstood to mean one should be wimpy, just that fighting on this board should be kept to a minimum, and angry disputes should be taken elsewhere. I know that trumpet players are a very competitive bunch, but personal animosity IMO has sometimes gone too far and has driven a lot of good people from this place.
Thank you for your kind words on my quintet. I didn't even remember that the website was up here!
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your own experiences with us.

Getting back to the original question "What's so great about the teachings of Arnold Jacobs?"

1. He wasn't only a "one" instrument teacher, he was able to help all brass players as well as woodwind players and even singers by all accounts.

2. I've never seen anywhere in print or in forums where someone says that they didn't benefit from lessons with Jacobs.

John Cvejanovich in the article "John Cvejanovich: Jake, and more" at the Bob Reeves site, says this:

"Many times I had an opportunity to listen to brass players in Jake's studio, and there wasn't a player who came for a lesson, that he wasn't able to help. Every player that I heard, all sounded better when they left, compared to how they sounded when they came in. For some, the change and improvement was phenomenal. Now, keep in mind, these were not rank beginners but experienced professionals."

That article has a very good description of the "Song and Wind" concepts, as well as John Cvejanovich's account of his lessons with Jacobs.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2003-06-11 02:35 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: