• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

finger/tongue coordination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TPTXC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A month or so ago, I wrote about a problem i was having with articulation, and while it is getting better since I've been working hard at it, now I am having a problem with coordinating my fingers and the articulation. Are there any drills I can to to improve my coordination/dexterity?
Thanks,
Brian Montgomery
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:
play some scales in staccatissimo (f.e. four quarter-notes, ...) and try that your articulation is just in time with pressing the buttons. Start slowly and increase the speed when you are satisfied in the slow tempo. It worked for me!

best regards
johannes
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The greatest benefit of slow practice is that it gives you time to coordinate the moving parts and really hear what is working or not. Slow that thing down!
2) Use a metronome for the majority of your practice until your coordination cleans up. Simple things from Arban or the Clarke Technical Studies would be good.
3) Subdivide the beat to refine the accuracy of your rhythm. In other words, if you are playing a bunch of quarter notes mentally hear and feel 16th notes. The smaller the unit you use to measure the rhythm, the more accurate the measurement.
4) Get going on Caruso studies, BUT really read everything that Carmine says in the text of Musical Calisthenics For Brass and read all the great answers BugleBoy has posted in the Carmine Caruso forum. If you do Carusos properly they will really clean up your coordination. If you do them improperly you can cause a world of problems for yourself.

Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-02-14 07:57 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, make sure you press the valves down fast even when practicing slowly. Otherwise, you'll end half "half-valving" notes, making them sound unclean (horrors!) and spoiling your hard-won articulation coordination.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-14 07:01, TPTXC wrote:
A month or so ago, I wrote about a problem i was having with articulation, and while it is getting better since I've been working hard at it, now I am having a problem with coordinating my fingers and the articulation. Are there any drills I can to to improve my coordination/dexterity?
Thanks,
Brian Montgomery

Clarke Technical Studies as assigned by Claude Gordon (who studied with Clarke for about 12 years). Practice the first time throught the book in the following manner:

Only one repeat on each exercise (not "eight to sixteen times each in one breath" as prescribed in the book - that is for latter).

Spend two weeks on Study One single tonguing it, then two weeks "K-Tonguing" it, then two Double Tongued (slowly at first), then two weeks Triple Tonguing, then finally, two weeks slurring it. Now move on to the 2nd Study and do the same thing (except no Triple Tonguing as this one can only be played in Duplet form). Then the same with Studys Three through Eight.

Lift the Fingers High
Strike the Valves Down Hard

Not an overnight cure, is it? But it works, for those who are willing to stick with it and let it develop.

Enjoy your trumpet playing,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks,
Brian Montgomery

Hello Brian
If the tongue and the fingers aren't co-ordinated then try this little routine. Firstly double tongue 8 semiquavers and play a crotchet at the end on a 2nd line G (TKTKTKTKT--). Do this a few times to establish a rock solid speed.
Then play from 2nd line G to fourth line D and back down to G in semiquavers ending on a G crotchet (do this slurred at exactly the same speed as you double tongued the first bit). Then put both together tongued. If you can do both exs individually then they should go together.
When co-ordination is slightly out and you get a clacking sound it is usually because the tongue is having to vary speed to try to match the fingers. Whilst learning to multiple tongue and co-ordinate with fingers try to keep at the speed which you feel comfortable tonguing at and make the fingers fit in strictly with the tongue.
Hope this helps and I'm sorry if it's not explained clearly - face to face would be an awful lot easier and these diagnoses by email are difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: