• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Drilling Mpc Throats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rick Baptist Model E5 Marcinkiewicz with a 28 throat. I like the mouthpiece overall, but a 28 throat is pretty tight and resistant. If I open it up to a 27 or 26 throat, will it throw the mouthpiece out of balance (cup, throat and backbore blow resistance) or will it simply make it a more free blowing mpc? Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Mark Heuer on 2002-02-06 05:04 ]
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that 28 must be tighter than a drum. Drill that bad boy out and don't worry about messing it up. When in doubt don't be afraid to make your way to the tool shed and say hello to Mr. Drill.

good luck

trptmaster
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark - before you do that, I'll trade you my Rick Baptist model with gold plated rim with a drilled out 26 hole. I use to drill all my mouthpieces to 24 holes. But I've gone back to tighter mouthpieces.

David
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I sent you a private e-mail. We may have a deal (trade). Question: is going from a 28 throat to a 26 throat a dramatic change or hardly noticeable?

Mark
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-11-22 16:42 ]
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with going only 1 drill bit size at a time. One additional consideration is that drilling out the mouthpiece throat can result in a longer throat, depending on the backbore configuration. Lengthening the throat has the opposite effect on resistance as opening the throat, so make sure you work with someone who knows what they are doing.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change the drill of the mpc, it's like getting a new piece. The resistance changes and you know how long it takes to get used to a new piece. At least that's how it is for me. If you wanna experiment, go ahead. But personally, I think most manufacturers have a formula and balance their pieces a certain way and opening the throat can mess it up. But I'm just an average bloke.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Vincent Bach chose the 27 throat as the smallest size any player would ever want. He used to ship his mpcs with a reamer so the player could adjust it to fit. This has been documented (ITG journal article, but I'd have to dig so if you want to know go to the ITG site and look it up -- sorry). Now, I've heard the Bach 6, which I used to play and Mr. Bach designed for himself (only thing we have in common, 'cept I used to play one of his horns ), was originally shipped with a 26 or 24 throat (opinions vary) as that's what he used. With the company growing and trying to standardize manufacturing, all mpcs (including the 6) come with a 27 throat now.

FWIW - Don
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad C is right. Get it reamed, not merely drilled. Coming from a tool and die family, reaming is a more exact science and needs an expert touch.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having grown up (some will question that) in the cutting tool industry, definately ream not drill. A reamer will give you the correct size, drills tend to cut oversize, and a much rounder hole. A drill is designed to make a hole from solid, a reamer is designed to expand and correctly size a hole which is what you want want to do.

Regards
Philip S.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest this approach. You must like something about the mouthpiece to start with - the rim and or a general quality of sound. Have the mouthpiece top cut and threaded for either Warburton or Tottle backbores. If you use Warburton you will have the throat of the top enlarged to 27 - if you go with Tottle (DiOrio) backbores you can leave the throat at 28. This gives you an excuse to spend most of your disposable income on backbores. I had good success with a Reeves 41S top threaded to Warburton and enlarged to 27. If you follow this approach it costs more money but you still have something you could sell on the MarketPlace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: