• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Do musicians use supplements?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been said that trumpet playing is athletic. Let me preface my question by saying I have no intention of trying any supplements as many may have HARMFUL side effects.
With all of the scientific thought going on around here I wonder if supplements such as creatine have been used by musicians to improve their chops? Creatine and Androstinedione (The stuff used by Mark McGuire now illegal in most sports) improve the growth of muscle mass. Would this usage thoretically help improve the chops or would they tend to facilitate stiffness? Just curious.

Tim
Kenman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been into wieght lifting for about 2 years now. I've tried creatine and some of the andro's. I haven't noticed any benefits to taking supplements. The only thing that helps my trumpet playing is pracitce.
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-16 21:04, Kenman wrote:
I've been into wieght lifting for about 2 years now. I've tried creatine and some of the andro's. I haven't noticed any benefits to taking supplements. The only thing that helps my trumpet playing is pracitce.
Nothing can replace practice. I just thought of the question when I read a reference to trumpet playing as being athletic. Has the weight lifting helped with your breathing and stamina? There can be no doubt as to the benefits of physical conditioning to the brass or woodwind player. I'm curious also as to the conditioning of most very good players. I would suspect if one can jog 5 miles a day one would have great wind capacity.

Tim
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:41 ]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking of the muscles involved in trumpet playing (both facial and respiratory) as being dependent on mass or strength, I'm afraid you are in for a rude awakening. Think of a distance runner rather than a weight lifter and you will find your answers.

CR
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-16 23:30, bugleboy wrote:

If you are thinking of the muscles involved in trumpet playing (both facial and respiratory) as being dependent on mass or strength, I'm afraid you are in for a rude awakening. Think of a distance runner rather than a weight lifter and you will find your answers.

CR
I've read somewhere (probably on this web site) that most trumpet players have the strength to play in the upper register. The problem is that most aren't playing efficiently. Thanks to all who posted. I believe I've gotten my answer.

Tim
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best natural steroids are spelled "aerobics" (bugleboy's "distance runner"!!!). Wgt lifting does have some aerobics, too.
I'm intrigued by Quad C's nutrient list. I overdid the nuts the other night, but they were soooo good. I just know that extra note was the result of "Nuts-trients."
Jogging/running/walking are fantastic for windy players. Worried about knees? Bicycle, swim, take short walks...Oooops, another wreck on Daytona 500...
...I hate stationary bikes and treadmills, but, for the winter, I did haul the stationary pedals in from the porch. Put 5 miles on it the first day watching "Jeopardy" and buzzing...Funny, odometer still read the same unless I got back on it. I enjoy getting outside so much better, especially as it has been mild.
Aerobics help, but our chops muscles are so specialized. Takes practice to build that as others stated so eloquently (kenman, Tim80....).
There are other great chops exercises, but this is a family forum. Just go kiss with passion the one you love...the one you're with.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope my reference to distance runners is not being interpreted to mean that aerobics or training to run marathons will improve your chops.

CR
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:42 ]
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadruple C,

"So as Charles stated it is very important to improve ones cardiovascular response to activity."

Curious where I stated this?

CR
Kenman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that cardio work is good for any brass instrument.. I know some trumpeter's in great shape that don't play well.. and some people out of shape and over wieght that play great.

How many miles do you think Maynard or Aurturo could run?

Ken
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:42 ]
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles do you think Maynard or Aurturo could run?
Ken

Alas, true. Saw MF last week; saw Arturo on BET Jazz last night. MF still plays high, not as high, not as often, not as long, but, hey, 73!
Sandoval needs no help.
Still, certainly, it must benefit to maintain/improve one's conditioning, at least for this mortal.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadruple C,

" If I embellished your original statement, then fine. My approach on this forum is to come together with everyone and not to move apart from them. So if you do not believe my embellishments were true to your original statement, then alright"

I think it is very meritorious to bring different approaches together, I would agree with that 100%. I'm still curious what original statement led you to the embellishment that I thought it is " ....... very important to improve ones cardiovascular response to activity."

I'm not saying that cardiovascular exercising is not important to a person's general well being; it is. That could be an excellent topic of discussion. General well being, in turn, would enhance anything that we do. But is it essential to trumpet playing? I didn't think that I was suggesting that it is. The analogy to a distance runner was not intended to suggest that trumpet players develop the ability to run long distances as a way to improve their playing. Something a little different was intended in the analogy. More along the lines that synchronization of muscles causes them to become their most efficient/effective possible at performing an athletic activity, as opposed to simply increasing muscle mass and brute strength to do the job. Small muscles that are synchronized and in balance will easily out perform big muscles (that aren't) everytime when it comes to a highly sophisticated physical activity like playing a musical instrument.

CR

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-02-17 19:27 ]
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find that it is easier for me to play when I am in better shape. Of course, my school is at 7000 ft., so any advantage regarding air that I can get is worth the work.

ChopsMcgraw
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:43 ]
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quad,

Your points are well taken and greatfully recieved, as usual.

As far as Arturo and Maynard are concerned....
The point that is being made here is that exercise can be of benefit. That doesn't mean that without exercise you can not be a powerhouse of a trumpet player. With exercise, however, you will likely be able to perform at a higher level than without.

That being said, I had better go dust off my weights!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: