• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Was Claude Gordan a Louis Maggio copycat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Claude's methods are almost identical to Louis Maggio's. Wat up wit dat?
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude was his student. FWIW, I have The Maggio System and most of Gordon's books, and there are a lot of differences. Some similarities, too, of course, but I certainly couldn't or wouldn't (admittedly based upon no direct contact with either gentleman) say Gordon simply copied Maggio -- same starting point, perhaps.
FWIW - Don
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, Gordon was a student of Maggio, as well as Clarke. Gordon incorporated Maggio practices in his works. I am just getting into Gordon but it looks like he refined Maggio's approach.
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude Gordon studied with Maggio and Clarke. Gordon's method is like Maggio, but more extensive and elaborate. It takes more time to play a Gordon routine than Maggio, but if you have the time and inclination Gordon is more thorough. Gordon , in my opinion , is more for serious students.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great players and teachers are influenced by each other. Claude Gordon was certainly both a great teacher and player, and has influenced many himself.

Dave Bacon
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggio is for less serious students? Is that what you meant? I consider myself a pretty serious student of the instrument. I think in preparing to be a student I need to gather as many tools as I can. I have done some Clarke and Arban studies in the past followed by Maggio. I am now studying some of the Gordon methods and find that they all work together. Maggio, Clarke, Schlossberg, Gordon, Arban, St Jacome all lend themselves to preparing us to be better trumpet players. What you get out of each method is dependent upon what you put into it. Having gone through the Maggio a few times, I'm better able to get a grip on Gordon. I'm looking at this like each exercise prepares me for the next lesson.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what was meant was that the Gordon routines can become very demanding on a student's time. Therefore, to properly utilitze them as writtent, the student must be serious about it.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the opening pages of text from Clarke's Setting Up Drills book. You will see that the seven basic items were originally defined by Clarke. Claude took from Maggio for two or three years after Clarke died. He took from Clarke ten years before that and credits Clarke for showing him how to practice. Clarke and Maggio both used pedal tones, contrary to what some think. Claude improved upon Clarke in being more systematic and organized in his assignments of routines. In ten years of lessons with Claude there never was any ambiguity about what to practice, how to practice, and in what order. I don't believe Clarke was the same way.

As a side note, you can investigate things and see that Claude's Systematic Approach book was written in manuscript form in the early 50s before Carlton MacBeth's Maggio Method and some other books focused on high notes. Claude's purpose of the Systematic Approach book was to show people how to apply all the principals of his seven basic items in conjunction with all the great method books. In ten years, I eventually got to all of Claude's books. But, I have a stack of other books we covered that is about twenty times taller than all the books written by Claude.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Jeff Purtle is a BIG-TIME time-saver for me! Everything I would have written in this topic, he already covered. So, I just second everything he wrote!

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: