• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The best solo I have ever heard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listened and played this particular piece so many times but today I was just in a really really down mood and figured it was the right medicine. Clifford Brown's "You go to my Head" Solo recorded on the Verve with Max Roach is absolutely stunning... If you have never heard this masterpiece you owe it to yourself... it just has everything... technique... phrasing.. he plays ballads like noone before or after him in my opinion. Has anyone else heard this recording?
-Jarrett
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE that about Jazz. I can hear a particular recording and it doesn't hit me or move me at all... then suddenly... when the mood is right or my ear is tuned a particular way... BAM it makes an unforgetable impact. Miles Davis "The Man I Love" got me like that a few months ago. It hasn't been the same since.

This is an edit - that feeling doesn't ONLY apply to Jazz. I think it is true for music in general.

[ This Message was edited by: Xenoman on 2003-07-05 13:22 ]
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, check out Brownie's solo on "September Song", from the Sarah Vaughn EmArcy album "Sarah Vaughn". Or his little eight bar thing at the end of "Stardust" on the strings album.

Brownie had enormous amount of maturity to balance out his technique for a guy who was 24-25 when this stuff was recorded. Really amazing when you think about it.
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's also a great solo... the first time I heard that particular recording I flipped out and starting calling my friends and demanding they come listen.. haha.. what an awesome solo.
-Jarrett
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2003-07-05 13:22, Xenoman wrote:[quote]I LOVE that about Jazz. I can hear a particular recording and it doesn't hit me or move me at all... then suddenly... when the mood is right or my ear is tuned a particular way... BAM it makes an unforgetable impact. Miles Davis "The Man I Love" got me like that a few months ago. It hasn't been the same since.

This is an edit - that feeling doesn't ONLY apply to Jazz. I think it is true for music in general.

Man, how true that is. I don't know that particular recording, but that kind of thing happens to me all of the time. All of a sudden I'll hear something really neat in a recording that I've never taken note of before and I may have been listening to that particular recording on and off for well over 10 years. That's the great thing about great music!

email me at: trickg1@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2003-07-07 13:47 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: