• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

JIM MANLEY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
diz the wiz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just receive the cd "SPLENDOR IN THE BRASS" from JIM MANLEY,this is a trumpet player that i didn't know before i heard about him here in this forum,what a good discovery,the cd is incredible,good jazz big band ,every track is good,this is the kind of jazz that I like the most,song with good melody,JIM play so well on all the track,not just screaming stuff but all around trumpet playing,is sound is so good even in the low register,big sound,sometime the screaming trumpeter forget to shape is solo but it's not the case with JIM,is improvisation is full of melody and is well construct,lately i've been disapointed about the new youg players out there they have great technique ,but says nothing melody wise,
so it's giving me hope when I listen to JIM,he sound like the best i've listen,remind me of maynard on the 50's(IS BEST YEARS)
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim has played "warm-up" band for Maynard, and they talk now and then. So there is some influence there.

In addition to being a great player, Jim is a great guy and teacher. If you're ever in the St. Louis area give him a call for a lesson. His approach is a tension-free style, and he can back it up with with his huge sound from pedal G to somewhere in the double C plus range. Cold. As in, pull the horn out of the case and do it. He makes it look disgustingly easy! My lesson with Jim was quite a revelation.

Enjoy! - Don
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try this with Jim Manley:
Go over to his house very early in the morning, say about 4:00 a.m. Then, after waking him slap $100 bill on a table and say "nail a double C cold and it's yours". You'll lose that $100 bucks.
Larry Smithee
p.s. no, I haven't tried this with him but I know he could pull this off with ease.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Jim's "Lip Trip" cd for some time. It's a very impressive cd with a lot of incredible "screach" playing on it.

I just got the "Splendor In Brass" cd this weekend. It is even better than Lip Trip. Jim's sound is incredible on this cd. He reminds me a lot of Doc Severinsen (spelling?) on some of his recordings from the 60's like "Torch Songs"

A lot of guys slack off as they get older. Jim just seems to get better and better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: