• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Short Ride in a Fast Machine

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElBobo...
Are you referring to mainly symphonic works? If not, that really opens things up quite a bit. The Elliot Carter Brass Quintets are a nice challenge (not just chop wise either).

Orchestrally, Messian's "Turangalila" Symphony has some "nice" parts as well. Short Ride is a bear but is much more "doable" on a smaller trumpet and with liberal use of assistants and switching off parts (done all the time). I would have to say that Adams' "Wound Dresser" is harder than Fast Ride. It takes much more finesse and control than Fast Ride. Shostakovich's 7th Symphony is a bit on the tiring side as are most Bruckner Symphonies. All the "really hard" orchestral and chamber pieces are alot more than just chops too. Once you've done some of them a couple times, you sorta learn "what works" to make it easier (handing off several measures here and there to an assistant or another section member is perfectly OK). To do so isn't a "cop out" or being a wimp, but rather smart survival skills that will enable you to "fight another day".

Rich
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.

Last edited by MrClean on Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:44 am; edited 2 times in total
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Regarding the use of assistants. Yeah, it's true they're usually saving themselves for the "big piece". Every so often however you get "smaller" pieces (such as Short Ride) that warrant the use of one.

I'm fully aware about conductors being unreasonable tyrants (who was it that quipped "orchestras are the last true dictatorships"?) not caring about response issues etc. I'm also aware that the audience doesn't care either, they just want to hear good music. When I asked Joe Alessi about his first performance after his hammer accident (which was typical Alessi...phenomenal), I asked him how it felt. He responded "it doesn't matter how it felt, as long as it sounded good."

Concerning composers, no news there either. Most of them (unless if they were a brass player...even then that's no guarantee) are plain clueless. Many of your 20th (and 21st) century composers of the "minimalist" ilk are the worst offenders and I can totally relate to the rediculousness of the "if one high c is good, why not 100?" My point was that with the use of assistants and smaller horns (and a thorough knowledge of the score...where to drop out because you're in unison with all the trombones and violas etc.) can make the performance much easier for us, with the audience and conductor being none the wiser. One of the marks of a truly competent composer is to actually ASK the performers what is reasonable and what is not (unfortunately, most are too proud to admit that they might not know everything about every instrument, and don't ask) for their particular instrument. Best example is whenver ABW commissions a piece, the only real requirement they have for the composer is "write alot of rests".

As far as youth orchestras prgramming pieces like the Adams etc. I think it's irresposible as well. Even if the youth orchestra is really good, it's doing a dis-service to the performers to place the burden of a Mahler symphony etc on them. Sure, they might be able to get the notes out, BUT what do you have to do to get it to happen? Best example I can think of was many moons ago, when I was 16 my youth orchestra decided to program Bach's 3rd Orchestral Suite. After all, me and the other trumpet player just got our first Picc's, so why not? Did we get through it? Hit all the notes? Yep. Sound good. Nope. Basically, I learned how to play Picc the wrong way. I started too young and was essentially muscling everything. Years later I had to re-learn how to properly play the Picc. I get the distinct feeling that when conductors (youth orchestras, bands etc) program pieces like this, they're only thinking of how good THEY will feel when they can tell their peers/competitors..." Well I conducted MY youth orchestra in a performance of (insert rediculously difficult piece here). What did YOU do?" They do this without any regard for the well being of the students ("After all, they're going to be gone in a couple of years anyway" or "They're young, they'll heal quickly anyway"). Conductors of student groups have to know where to draw the line. When they start prgramming pieces like the Adams and a Mahler symphony in the same concert, something's terribly wrong.

Rich
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.

Last edited by MrClean on Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
maccluer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

You all need to pay real good attention to what MrClean has to say. He's one of the baddest cats on Planet Earth.

I personally usually resort to a lot of piccolo trumpet when I have to play Adams. I've long since given up on trying to be a hero on that stuff.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.

Last edited by MrClean on Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
orenthal resets

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
As far as youth orchestras go, our kicks major ass! Last year we played Bruckner 4, Alpine Symphony, and a whole concert of Varese"Arcana" and Bartok's "Cantata Profana" with the local high school choir!! I think you will be hearing big things from our conductor. His name Richard Peters. Check out his website at RichardPeters.com
Sincerly Orenthal
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetnerd when you go to the first rehearsal don't forget the ice pack and bring along a good repair man with tools so he can put that pinkey ring back on. When I was in youth orchestra we played Scriabin Poem of Agony. I still feel that one every time I warm up in the morning. And that was many many years ago. The performance was incredible though. We nailed it!

TM
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orenthal,
The RichardPeters website no workie. What youth orchestra is it?

Rich
dltrmpt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. clean:

Trumpetnerd7,

My trumpet section is pretty good, too.

possibly the best response i've ever seen on this board
trptczar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Clean,
Have you really performed this piece, "El Nino"? I have never had the priviledge of performing this piece due to the fact that it is scored for 0 trumpets, but have heard it performed. I do, however recall seeing three horns and three trombones on stage. Did possibly play a guitar part or something? Very curious. Thanks in advance for your reply

the czar
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: