• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Methods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SchilkeB5user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have been working out of the caruso methods for awhile and noticed it has made me quieter but higher range. I just need to reach high D in 2 months with a solid A foundation on a 1C. I dont want a once in a while but a note that I can hit beyond an hour. Just some pointers would help, or just some other methods.
Thanks
SchilkeB5user

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that was kinda off.... I have a solid A foundation. I need to reach a solid D. 1 ledger A.
Thanks
lonelyangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello & welcome Shilke B5 user.
It would be helpful to know your age and how long you have been playing.
My advice is that, at whatever stage of your development, the Caruso method can have a dramatic and positive influence on your playing. However, it is absolutely vital that you receive instruction in this method from an experienced Caruso disciple.
I would hate to think what kind of damage I might have done if I had not been guided through Caruso's book by someone with a detailed knowledge of Carusos thinking, methods and intentions.
Without hearing or, more importantly seeing you playing it is very hard to be of more help. One thing to remember though is that, as with body building or gym work, the body needs time and rest to rebuild what you have broken down. PLEASE, only play a maximum of 2 or 3 exersises a day (your Caruso workout should only take about 45 minutes to one hour, including rest periods) and always follow the pattern: plat 2 days rest 1 day.
Most important of all is to get hooked up with a teacher ASAP. Why not post a request in the Caruso forum asking for teachers in your area - or else reply here letting us know where you live or how far you are willing to travel?

Easy does it.
Noel.
SchilkeB5user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post. Okay, I'm 16 and have been playing for 6-7 years and I study with Great teachers. Yes, 1 of them does study out of the caruso book and I do only the six notes 2nds and 3rds drills. I also do leadpipe drill but not the full drill, only up to the C and down an octave. One of my old instrutors said that you should do whats good for you and dont always do what the teachers says. I just want to know some other methods that might work. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks
livelyjazz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Schilke,

I recommend continuing with the Caruso and adding the harmonics after you do the thirds. Then play the Clarke Technical Studies, one study per day, softly. It will take eight days to go through the book, then start over on the ninth day. Learn to play the upper register softly and add volume later.

If you have any questions, please ask

Logan
SchilkeB5user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips and I'll try yours out and see what happns =). So far I've increased 1 1/2 steps . With your drill livly, possbly alot more. Thanks
StewMuse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of books for working on the higher range.

Courting the Upper Register (variations on classical themes that work toward the trumpet's high end)

Courting the Upper Register II (variations on jazz themes that work toward the trumpet's high end - includes accompaniment CD)

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=stewmuse

My iBooks currently available: Military Bugle Calls, Courting the Upper Register, Building Trumpet Technique, Tuff Keys, CUR II: JAZZ, Trumpet Rounds, Beginning Jazz for Young Trumpeters, Cigars @ Home
marktrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1C is a really big mouthpiece, it is a personal choice but I wouldn't rule out using something smaller if you can get away with it!
jazzsolotrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-22 09:49, StewMuse wrote:
A couple of books for working on the higher range.

Courting the Upper Register (variations on classical themes that work toward the trumpet's high end)

Courting the Upper Register II (variations on jazz themes that work toward the trumpet's high end - includes accompaniment CD)

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=stewmuse

I just bought those 2 books of eBay. I am waiting for them to come in the mail because I can't wait 'til I get to use them.

-Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: