• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Are GR mouthpieces more efficient??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-12 13:13 ]
X3L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-09 09:04, GR Tech wrote:

We doubt that you have tried all the GR mouthpieces, we have over 6000 designs and 1232 models as of yesterday.

Hey GR,

Just out of curiousity, how many of those 6000 designs and 1232 models were for Doc Severinsen???

John MacGregor
Waukesha, WI
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

How goes it in beautiful Wisconsin? Hope all is well with your brood up in the hinterland.

I also think the world of GR and Bruce Lee. I've been playing Gary's mouthpieces exclusively since 1998. I too had the luxury of being close enough to drive up to Dousman to spend several hours with Gary at his shop for a proper fitting.

The sound and feel is what it's all about. I get a good sound and a comfortable play with his pieces still. I bought a NBrass 63**** from Bruce over a year ago and I still can't decide which one, the 65MS or the 4 star works better. Bright and harsh are 2 words that don't describe my sound I don't think.

Take care, John. BTW do you still have the frankenstein C trumpet?

[ This Message was edited by: Bill on 2003-06-11 06:34 ]
X3L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bill,

Everything's fine up here in Cheeseland, thank you. The kids got out of school last Friday and are spending every waking moment with Cartoon Network, Nintendo, or Lizzie McGuire. To be young again!!

I couldn't agree more with you in regard to Gary Radtke and Bruce Lee, both are really great guys! I am puzzled to hear people describe GR's mouthpieces as "bright" or "commercial"...for me, these products provide a greater core to my sound with rich overtones.

Funny you should mention the C trumpet. Numerous others have played that horn, and I've lost count of the number of offers to purchase it which I have received. I smile and think of you everytime someone asks me to sell it. My answer is always the same, "the guy who sold it to me has right of first refusal should I decide to sell the horn".

By day I work in the real estate business, and I can't help but notice how good the Mirrielees family has been to my industry. Come to think of it, I'd probably be retired by now if I had just come to work for you as your "real estate consultant". I'm convinced that your goal is to be the first person in history to mail out Christmas cards from all 50 states.

Take care,

John MacGregor
Waukesha, WI
rlspitzer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience to what several others have already posted. I’ve been very impressed with the sound, efficiency, etc. in the GR pieces but what really stood out in my mind during the whole process was how exceptional Bruce was to deal with. While the GR’s are more expensive than many other pieces out there I felt, overall, that I came out ahead. Between the questionnaire and Bruce’s analysis, I was fitted with the correct mouthpiece on the second try, saving the hassle and expense of a major mouthpiece safari. The first piece Bruce suggested was a 67M which I thought was too bright so I opted for a 67MX. Ironically, after adjusting to the new piece, it turned to be too symphonic sounding for the praise band I play in so I ended up getting the 67M as well.
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a lot of talk about "sound" and "brightness" or "darkness." I think that you are going to sound like you no matter what mouthpiece you play on. One has to have that mental image of sound...and i think you'll get that sound even if it means manipulating to get it. I, like so many others, have (had) gotten so caught up in having a big, dark, round sound, that I failed to realize what exactly a dark sound is. After meeting with Gary I was educated. Some people make the mouthpieces, some people make the machines that make the mouthpieces, some people dont make anything and just play...I prefer to buy a mouthpiece from the man who can play the mouthpiece that he built from the machines that he also, himself, built. Efficiency, sound, yadda yadda, set aside...look at the testimonials. Of all the many i have seen...most seem pretty positive. If one is searching for a mouthpiece, or even curious about all the hype, isn't that reason enough to give it a shot with all the places that have return policies on GR pieces? Who knows maybe you too will come around.

Bartok: I think that when you are unimpressed with the "sound." This stems from you believing that an orchestral trumpet player has to have the dark, round sound. I think you'll find that it's much easier and efficient to play with a centered, focused sound that can cut through a string section rather than a dull, dark mouthpiece that you have to muscle your way through with.

More efficient? Certainly!! Thanks Gary
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-07-20 17:01, patrick32378 wrote:
I've heard a lot of talk about "sound" and "brightness" or "darkness." I think that you are going to sound like you no matter what mouthpiece you play on. One has to have that mental image of sound...and i think you'll get that sound even if it means manipulating to get it. I, like so many others, have (had) gotten so caught up in having a big, dark, round sound, that I failed to realize what exactly a dark sound is.

I agree with this, within limits. I think that I sound "darker" tonally than most other trumpeters on the same equipment (I blame that on having heard Don Jacoby live when I was ten and that sound image is stuck in my head forever, thank the Lord). Anyway, I've got a GR66S, a 66MS and a 66LX and I'm certain that my tone is different with each.

Ciao,

Dave
TossedSalad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bartok,

You owe it to yourself to try the Haefner models. Many people I know love them - unbelievable sound, and there is a new C cup model which is more efficient if the signature is too big.

TS
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a Haefner model mouthpiece. Who makes it and what is better about it? Never tried one.

In Peace,

TM

Quote:

On 2003-07-21 10:02, TossedSalad wrote:
Bartok,

You owe it to yourself to try the Haefner models. Many people I know love them - unbelievable sound, and there is a new C cup model which is more efficient if the signature is too big.

TS
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt-master,
GR makes the Haefner Series Mouthpieces using the same math that is used in all GR-made mouthpieces.
Steve Haefner is an outstanding orchestral player and the Haefner Line was obviously developed originally for him. They played so well that Steve decided to market them. For more information visit http://www.trumpetpro.com.

B. Scriver
http://www.brianscriver.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: