• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why people don't post here?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Why people don't post here? Reply with quote

I am just wondering why no one posts here. I guess the time of Cookiemonster is behind us (thank god).

Kevin
Trumpet Dude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, he is now raising hell at TM.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reveille is a relic of TH past.

Waaaayyy back in time (I joined about two years ago), there was much less moderation and a lot more flaming back and forth than you see today. As I understand the intent, if a thread got really off topic, this was a place the thread could be sent so that that the parties involved could work out their differences (or not!). It was also a place where some people could vent their grievances with other members (or with people outside the TH community). Occasionally, they even resolved those differences. Occasionally.

Religious and political threads the got too intense for the Lounge were also sent here sometimes.

Back then, the Todd (trumpetherald) was the only person who could moderate everywhere ... other moderators could only act in their own dedicated forums. When Todd changed the moderation model in September/October 2003, we got a team of people who could keep behavior more, well, moderate. I think that's done wonders for the general tone of the Trumpet Herald and has made the Reveille forum just about obsolete.

Matthew 25:31-46
_Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Religeon/Politics Forum has replaced Reveille. The sort of abuse that is thrown around in there would not have been acceptable in times past. People don't seem to realise that R/P Forum topics should remain as civilised as they do in all other forums. The Mods should be sending topics from R/P to Reveille if they become too acrimonious or get off topic. I wish they would. The R/P forum should be a place for CIVIL debate about religeous and political issues.
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. some of the topics should definately get moved into here. Maybe things could be a little more civil. More and more people are using the f*** type thing to get around actually using the real words.

Kevin
Ali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your points...
IT'S THE LAW
MilesD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revielle and now R/P are relics of the past. There's far to much personal attacks in both forums and most sane users have become tired of this nonsence. To be honest I couldn't care less if both Revielle and R/P dropped of the face of the earth

Trumpet: Red Maestro and Yamaha
Mouthpiece: Holton Heim

Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hiatus of Religious/Political debate here is just that. It will be back, whether the R/P forum remains closed or reopens. It is somewhat unavoidable.

With it will return the sort of people (currently, mercifully away from this site) who come here only to be offensive. For that reason we need Reveille, and more active moderation in R/P so that when members become offensive in R/P their topics will be moved to Reveille.

I keep asking for this to happen in the hope that Todd will take notice and change his policy about R/P. We can have civilised R/P debates, but only if we want them enough.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic is being discussed. Unfortunately, more active moderation in R/P means a LOT more work... - Don
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps one person could be convinced to keep an eye on the forum, without posting there? I realise it would mean one guy would be lumbered with a heavy workload, but I think that the forum would calm down if a strict policy were introduced. Reveille would become a sort of "steel cage" and R/P would become a lot more civilised.

Hell, I'll even volunteer to be the dedicated moderator (and forgo the privilege of posting my opinions in R/P) if there are no others willing to take on the burden.
trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilesD wrote:
Revielle and now R/P are relics of the past. There's far to much personal attacks in both forums and most sane users have become tired of this nonsence. To be honest I couldn't care less if both Revielle and R/P dropped of the face of the earth

Relics of the past? Too many personal attacks? I wonder who's responsible......................:

MilesD wrote:
Since you are incapable of taking a subtle hint Trumpet356, Ill spell it out for your pea brain in graphic terms. Youre a worthless moron Trumpet356. Drop it and -.

MilesD wrote:
Go pick your head out - converse and judge morality on morality, not on some koran code that any sane Christian has no interest in

Oh yeah; now I remember!

Miles, you're too much. First, you sink "How do you feel about R/P being locked down?", then you drive the "You know you've hung out on TH way to long when..." thread into Reveille until the Mods sanitized it - and now you have the pathological temerity to state "There's far to much personal attacks in both forums and most sane users have become tired of this nonsence."?

Pulling our threads, and leaving Miles to bloviate, is the TH equivalent of demanding the Pope to apologize for all the pain he's caused the Muslim world with his remarks.

But it is entertaining!
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet356 wrote:
Too many personal attacks? I wonder who's responsible......................:

You and Converse for the most part. With a little help from LeeC from time to time.
trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:
trumpet356 wrote:
Too many personal attacks? I wonder who's responsible......................:

You and Converse for the most part. With a little help from LeeC from time to time.

You're right - we make Miles go off on his little rants (above) all the time. Internet ventriloquists.

(Just showing why you wouldn't quite be the answer to the R&P Moderation issue - very skewed perspective. But thanks for offering!)
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is rapidly becoming a viable indication of why R/P was shut down. I suspect (the topic is still being discussed) that if R/P opens again, it will have more active moderation, or at least a much quicker "pull" rate for UA violations.

I suppose just letting things lie without angry retorts and leaving each other alone is totally out of the question...
trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
This thread is rapidly becoming a viable indication of why R/P was shut down. I suspect (the topic is still being discussed) that if R/P opens again, it will have more active moderation, or at least a much quicker "pull" rate for UA violations.

I suppose just letting things lie without angry retorts and leaving each other alone is totally out of the question...

Don, you're probably right. It's in the nature of honest exchange and debate to defend your argument with facts and logic, and to expose the fallacies (or in this case, hypocrisies) in the assertions of others. When Beliefs that are deeply-held are questioned, attacked, invalidated, etc., naturally, an emotional response is generated. But that doesn't mean a forum to discuss these issues can't be effectively run and managed.

This whole Moderation-thing of R&P isn't rocket science, and I don't understand the difficulty of setting up an easily-understood, easily-moderated set of guidelines for posting in such a venue. Guidelines such as:

1) Attacking a post is acceptable; name-calling of the Poster is not.
- Calling a post, idea, or rebuttal "stupid" is fine (because many are); calling a Poster an "idiot" (alas, I've been guilty from time to time ) is not. Violating this will get your post yanked.

2) No swear words; not even the patially obscurred ones, such as ***hole, etc. Post yanked.

3) No Threads which call out another Poster: "Why doesn't Converse know anything about anything?"; "Is MilesD a terrorist sympathizer?" threads should be immediately yanked.

4) No threads of prurient content, or are meant to just piss people off.
Thread title: "Why are the Brits so weak in the War on Terror"; then the initial post, "Because they're pussies" - should be yanked immediately, with a warning to the Poster that future violations will have whatever consequences the Mod group deems fitting.

I'm sure there are a few others. But really, I think your statement above really cannot be achieved - anywhere: "I suppose just letting things lie without angry retorts and leaving each other alone is totally out of the question". Is it really possible to read a post such as: "Bush knew there were no WMD's, but lied about it to get Iraqi oil - and he didn't care how many of our boys died", and respond "I see your point. I happen to disagree"? Hardly. Nonsense like that should be confronted - head on - while still abiding by the rules above.

Maybe TH just isn't the place for it, though. If the Mods always feel like they must rush in and protect little Johnny from getting his feelings hurt by having his own words postedwhen he tries to pass off the responsibility for the problem by saying "There's far to much personal attacks in both forums and most sane users have become tired of this nonsence", then there never really will be an honest exchange of ideas on these topics.
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have challenged T356 in public and private about the "tone" of his post but in this case his post has merit. Even with the most recent (R&P) thread that was removed, it seems that his argument was well stated and not attacking in nature unlike some responses. If moderating can not happen without some sense of objectivity, R&P should remain closed.
rafterman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This whole Moderation-thing of R&P isn't rocket science, and I don't understand the difficulty of setting up an easily-understood, easily-moderated set of guidelines for posting in such a venue.

Maybe TH just isn't the place for it, though. If the Mods always feel like they must rush in and protect little Johnny from getting his feelings hurt...

Quite right!! The site operator and moderators have a responsibility to clean up after posters. If they can't cope with R&P realities, it is there fault that it won't continue. Your observations say it all. However, despite the charm and tact displayed in your message to them, I don't think the moderators will be persuaded to invest their time in R&P. It is pathetic, but they can't handle THE TRUTH.

And THE TRUTH is that the rules you list are already in place and clearly stated in the Usage Agreement; the Mods are sick of them being broken in R&P.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafterman wrote:
Quote:
This whole Moderation-thing of R&P isn't rocket science, and I don't understand the difficulty of setting up an easily-understood, easily-moderated set of guidelines for posting in such a venue.

Maybe TH just isn't the place for it, though. If the Mods always feel like they must rush in and protect little Johnny from getting his feelings hurt...

Quite right!! The site operator and moderators have a responsibility to clean up after posters. If they can't cope with R&P realities, it is there fault that it won't continue. Your observations say it all. However, despite the charm and tact displayed in your message to them, I don't think the moderators will be persuaded to invest their time in R&P. It is pathetic, but they can't handle THE TRUTH.

And THE TRUTH is that the rules you list are already in place and clearly stated in the Usage Agreement; the Mods are sick of them being broken in R&P.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

If these are the rules, I've NEVER seen them applied. Example? The post I quoted above

MilesD wrote:
Since you are incapable of taking a subtle hint Trumpet356, Ill spell it out for your pea brain in graphic terms. Youre a worthless moron Trumpet356. Drop it and go to hell.

IS STILL IN PLACE (!!!) on the "How do you feel about R/P lockdown thread" right here in Reveille. Check it out:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56739&start=80

It's funny that, for example, Don's getting jittery about this thread (where there is no name calling, just facts about who the recent abusers were/still are), yet he's perfectly fine about leaving that post, and a few others like it in the same thread, intact. Inconsistent application of their own standards, if this really is what those standards are.

I think it helps to support the idea that it's not the name-calling that bugs 'em, but it's the fact that some posters with a certain ideological bent routinely are getting their clocks cleaned in actual debate. After all, everybody's ideas should be equally considered, right? We can never say that "some approaches are better than others", "some cultures are superior than others", "some religions are better for mankind than others" - and then back those assertions up with facts. That wouldn't be "fair".

The first incidence of name-calling should be immediate removal of the post, with a warning that the next will result in a week-long (two weeks? Month?) suspension. And the poster would have to petition to be able to activate his account, just to keep the Mods from having to keep track of who's off "time out".

This really wouldn't be that hard to put into place, and after a few "spankings", most will fall right in line with the guidelines.

Worked with my kids.
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following are my own opinions and should be taken as such. Hopefully this will clarify my position -- I have better things to do. This is primarily directed at trumpet356's complaints about TH moderation.

1. There is a group of Moderators that review posts and act together. Something I find offensive, others might not, or not enough to pull. There is some flexibility built into the system, and thus some level of subjectiveness, a degree of violation. I suspect a huge number of posts would be gone if we strictly followed the UA every time; that's also why there is some subjectivity built into the UA. (I suppose now you'll go and find, and quote here, all the absolutes in the UA you can find. So be it -- the reality is, moderation requires a balance of subjective and objective valuations.) So, my being "jittery" does not alone a post get pulled. We don't act alone; time is spent in reaching a consensus, often with Todd, about the proper course of action. For what it's worth, I spend (spent) very little time in R/P anyway -- not my cup of tea.

2. If you never seen the rules applied, perhaps you have not observed any of the hundreds of threads modified or removed, some to be cleaned up and replaced, some simply removed for good. Perhaps you should glance around the rest of TH now and then; there's more than just R/P. There are even some trumpet-related threads here and there that may be interesting.

3. I suspect you could find plenty of places where "getting their clock cleaned" did not cause a thread to pulled or post modified. When angry words are written and the argument degenerates into a flame-fest, that's when action is taken.

4. There is a finite group of moderators with finite time. There are many thousands of threads (41,573 at the moment) and over 12,000 users. So we don't catch everything. We all have very busy lives outside TH and, despite the hours spent daily, that's a lot of "kids" to deal with. When trying to balance finite resources to perform a nearly infinite set of tasks, it's sometimes best to pick and choose wisely. R/P is not trumpet-related, and the amount of time spent there is disproportionate to it's value to the site as a whole. I do not think you realize just how much time is spent keeping TH running smoothly. Much of it is behind the scenes.

5. There is a wide range of idealogies among moderators, intentionally so. We get blasted routinely by one side or the other, in roughly equal amounts, which says to me we're about as balanced as practical. In fact, I can not recall a thread pulled for political reasons -- that is not one of the criteria. Whatever you might think.

6. I'd love to have some students read this site, but R/P is an impediment. We have had people leave because of it, and parents send notes about it. It is just not a good subject area for a trumpet forum, as the subject matter will almost inevitably lead to strong arguments and stronger words.

Fact is, the effort required to moderate R/P just hasn't been worth it. This is a huge site and we have plenty to do elsewhere, on and off TH. We do, and continue to do, despite how little you may feel we do, try to keep TH running smoothly. Personally, I'd rather spend my time in the trumpet area of the Trumpet Herald. I don't think Todd's vision, and our time, are served by R/P. You are welcome to start a Political Herald site.

Yeesh - Don
trumpet356
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
This is primarily directed at trumpet356's complaints about TH moderation.

Don, not complaints - observations. How much does it cost any of us to read and post on TH. "Complaints" are not warranted when you've paid nothing to enjoy the benefits.

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
So, my being "jittery" does not alone a post get pulled. We don't act alone; time is spent in reaching a consensus,

Don, my rebuttal was directed at rafterman saying my comments about what the guidelines should be are already in place. Obviously, they are not what I've outlined, which is why I responded.

BTW: How much "consensus" do you need to pull:

"Since you are incapable of taking a subtle hint Trumpet356, Ill spell it out for your pea brain in graphic terms. Youre a worthless moron Trumpet356. Drop it and -."

I'm cool with it. Really. But it's just inconsistent with your statement "When angry words are written and the argument degenerates into a flame-fest, that's when action is taken." Now really, this isn't the kind of thing you'd have your students, or their parents, read. R&P's gone, yet the post exists. Obviously, it's a problem with specific Posters, not with R&P itself.

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Perhaps you should glance around the rest of TH now and then; there's more than just R/P. There are even some trumpet-related threads here and there that may be interesting.

I have, and it's great. Todd's done a tremendous job.

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Fact is, the effort required to moderate R/P just hasn't been worth it.

Then ultimately it's a decision about what's best for TH - which is the most important thing. But just a tip from a novice about moderating the rest of the forums: if a poster comes up with a gem like:

"Youre a worthless moron [fill in name]. Drop it and -."

It's probably a post worthy of being yanked, and the poster given a little "time out" to cool off. For sure, that kind of talk doesn't play well to parents or students outside of R&P, either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: