• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Recording vs Ambassador...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Kirk,

How do the Ambassadors under the Nash Motor Company compare to the models under the American Motors name ? Do any specific models have better street rod potential over others...?
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the responses. It sounds I would find what I'm looking for in a Recording; and to be safe, one before the 70s. I'd also like one in raw brass, as it seems like Olds horns have more overtones without the lacquer.

I should have added in my first post that I have done a DIY valve alignment on my Ambassador which was a huge improvement. Before that, the horn was pretty bad. Then, I used hot water to get most of the lacquer off, and it really opened the sound up. I have also used tape to adjust the gap and found that it did seem to improve the horn in terms of response, but not to the extent that I'd be comfortable using it all the time; the intonation issues were still evident. I'm sure the horn could be changed and improved with a new pipe or bracing fixes and all that stuff, but I am not interested in doing any of that. I'd rather just get a new horn rather than potentially ruining a horn that as sentimental value.

So would it be safe to say that a good Recording would play more open in the upper register than an Ambassador along with better response?

Thread killer.

Last edited by kramergfy on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If horns were people..the Ambassador would be from the wrong side of the tracks....and if you start looking over on that side of the tracks..you may find something you like.

And maybe I consider your side of the tracks the wrong side. Could be your lifestyle on the "right" side is responsible for a lot of pain and misery all over the world, which you are conveniently insulated from. You probably wouldn't know real truth if it crossed the tracks and bit your little pink tushie . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman,

I am from the wrong side of the tracks.

But I am fascinated by your political viewpoint.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Olds Recording vs Ambassador... Reply with quote

The Olds Ambassador/Student/Pro horn/ modifying thingie/ is like the Energizier Bunny Rabbit. Just keeps going and going. Most of the modified Olds Ambassadors from say Six years back. Have ended up on e-Bay, with the seller. Hoping to just break even on the extra cost to modify their horn.

Today you have a newer used market of Kanstul Besson 609/ 709/800 series Trumpets that will play better with modern tuning features. To me they look like Kanstul's much improved version of the Olds Ambassador trumpet. Then maybe not.

Finding a well taken care of and not played to death, Olds Recording are becoming much harder to find. The price has almost tripled for a not very well kept one. The price for a mint condition one,will be pretty hefty.

You may can buy one of Kanstul's Bronze or Copper Bell Trumpets for the price of a mint condition Olds Recording. Kanstul can tell you which of his Trumpets plays the most like the Olds Recording.

I passed on a E-bay Olds Super Star Flugelhorn after looking at a E-bay Kanstul made 725 Flugelhorn. Looks to be a Kanstul Cloned, Olds Super Star Flugelhorn to me. I like this 725, it is like new,and does not have the tuning isues the Olds Flugelhorns have.

Good luck on your Horn search,keep a eye out for other great horn buys. A fellow recently won off e-bay in mint condition. A H.N. White King 1049S DB Trumpet. Had about $580.00 in the total sale. Now that was a great buy.

Start saving up your money. As the economy worsens and it is going to. A lot of good horns will be selling for much cheaper prices. Good luck

Last edited by study888 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogersBrass wrote:
Capt Kirk,

How do the Ambassadors under the Nash Motor Company compare to the models under the American Motors name ? Do any specific models have better street rod potential over others...?

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1048847&highlight=pimped#1048847
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: