• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A more efficient Bach 3C

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffM729 wrote:
The Bach D cups have a different rim.

Yes. The rims on the Bach 3C and 3D are different. But for me, they are close enough.

JeffM729 wrote:
Mark Curry makes fine mouthpieces and the price is very reasonable.

+1
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Bobby Shew Jazz?
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
Paul J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I third the Curry 3M. I've got a small-letter Bach 3D, and it is more efficient than a 3C. But, the 3M sounds a great deal better, at least to my ear. And if it isn't efficient enough for you, try the 3Z.!

Paul
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeves 43C or 43M are more efficient pieces than 3C but the sound concept is very different , try to find one and test it before you buy it or find a cheep used one .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim McGinley wrote:
Try an Austin Custom Brass piece. Very well made and present a great spectrum of sound! Trent has done a remarkable job with his mouthpiece line. Certainly worth checking out!

+1
I just ordered my second ACB 3C. I will be cutting the shank down to fit my 40B
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Have you tried a Schilke 14?

Tom

The 14 is a great mouthpiece which I played for a few years in High School, but it is basically a clone of the Bach 1-1/2C with a more rounded rim, so it would be a bit bigger (mostly deeper) with a much different feel to the rim than a 3C (14 has a narrower, more rounded rim).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dave Bacon mentioned, the Curry 3C. would be a great choice. I think it's the best version of a Bach 3C out there. The other recommendation as others have suggested would be the Bob Reeves 43C. Both are great mouthpieces. The Curry will have a little more cup volume which makes it have more room for your lips and it seems more efficient to me than a stock Bach 3C, and the Reeves is a very efficient mouthpiece, especially in the upper register. Tone from each is similar but different. It's hard to quantify. Sometimes I think the 43C sounds brighter, but other times I think the 3C. sounds brighter. I guess I'd just say there are more colors in the tone of the 43C (I know, not much of a description). I'd recommend you get both and try them each for a week. Have others listen to you and make your determinations of which to stay with using the following criteria:

• How they feel to you (and your lips).

• How they sound to other critical listeners.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
Tim McGinley wrote:
Try an Austin Custom Brass piece. Very well made and present a great spectrum of sound! Trent has done a remarkable job with his mouthpiece line. Certainly worth checking out!

+1

This seems a bit unusual. One of my students plays a 40b and it takes a "normal" shank size of .385 and works great. The gap situation is of course way different since there is no ledge in there , but even with those 2nd gen conn setups, a .385 shank will be optimal. I'm pretty sure Trent's shanks are in that "normal" range.

Why do you cut the shank down? To let it go in farther? Or do you cut the end off to make it shorter?
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Scott42486
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually currently play a Reeves 43C and have played a Curry 3C at one point. I found the Reeves to be a bit deeper than the Curry. I'd highly recommend trying a Reeves 43M, that should be a bit closer to a 3C I'd believe.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, getting the 3c to be more efficient was a matter of downsizing the exact shape of the 3c cup by 2 percent. That means the cup was made smaller in all dimensions, depth, diameter, etc by the same percentage. You do that in CAD with the scaling tool. Only the cup curves, not the rim curves.

The 3c is .655 inner diameter, measured at .052 down from the high point of the rim. A 2 percent downsize end up with an inner diameter of .645. For me that downsize was the ticket for making the 3cvibe more efficient. Now I play 645 diameters on my lead piece and other pieces. Since the shape stays exactly the same with a 2percent scaling, the sound stays the same also.

I also make the 3c shape in .635 and .665 as well as .655, and they are two piece. I also think my 4 and 4 1/2 backbores are a better match for the 3c cup shape. They are a lilttle bit less curved of a backbore. Still not a straight taper though. Based on the purviance backbore .
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I play a Mt. Vernon 3C with a 24 hole because I sound good on it. Not because it's the easiest or most "efficient". I think you can efficient yourself out of your best sound. Brass instruments and especially trumpet are physical instruments and sometimes using equipment that gets the point across requires a little "UMPH"! That's why you practice.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three words: phone Karl Hammond!
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott42486 wrote:
I actually currently play a Reeves 43C and have played a Curry 3C at one point. I found the Reeves to be a bit deeper than the Curry. I'd highly recommend trying a Reeves 43M, that should be a bit closer to a 3C I'd believe.

Hi Scott,

I don't understand how you could arrive at that conclusion, unless perhaps what you're describing is how they feel when you play them.

I own both the 43C and the Curry 3C., have measured both and seen scans of both and I can tell you, a stock Bob Reeves 43C is shallower than a Curry 3C. and even more shallow than the older Curry 3C (the Curry 3C without a dot in the model name was the older Curry model that was fashioned after a larger Mt Vernon Bach 3C than the current Curry 3C. model was).

And just to double check, I just used three different cylindrical objects of various diameters to compare my 43C to my Curry 3C. and in all three cases the objects went about 1/32th of an inch farther into the 3C. before hitting the bottom of the cup than the 43C (the objects were the cap of a Sharpie Marker, the cap of a Uniball pen and the stem of another mouthpiece).

Best wishes,

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Well, I play a Mt. Vernon 3C with a 24 hole because I sound good on it. Not because it's the easiest or most "efficient". I think you can efficient yourself out of your best sound. Brass instruments and especially trumpet are physical instruments and sometimes using equipment that gets the point across requires a little "UMPH"! That's why you practice.

I vote this one the best post of the week!!!
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
mike ansberry wrote:
Tim McGinley wrote:

+1

This seems a bit unusual. One of my students plays a 40b and it takes a "normal" shank size of .385 and works great. The gap situation is of course way different since there is no ledge in there , but even with those 2nd gen conn setups, a .385 shank will be optimal. I'm pretty sure Trent's shanks are in that "normal" range.

Why do you cut the shank down? To let it go in farther? Or do you cut the end off to make it shorter?

These horns do take a slightly smaller shank. They are very mouthpiece sensitive. The Conn 4 that came with the horn fit about 3/16ths further in than a modern mouthpiece. I started out playing it with a standard shank 7C Bach. It didn't respond as well as the Conn 4. I gradually cut the outer diameter of the shank down until I found the optimum fit. Doing this improved the response of the horn, slotting, and pulled the octaves better in tune.

I talked with Trent about getting an ACB 3C for my 40B. He said he'd be happy to cut it down to fit, but I like to do it myself, so I'm currently waiting on my new piece to come in from Trent.

By the way, ACB has some great mouthpiece prices going on now.
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
crzytptman wrote:

I vote this one the best post of the week!!!

I agree. Efficient is probably the most misused/misunderstood term bandied about on these forums.
Blueblue
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Sometimes I think the 43C sounds brighter, but other times I think the 3C. sounds brighter. I guess I'd just say there are more colors in the tone of the 43C (

• How they feel to you (and your lips).

• How they sound to other critical listeners.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Tested the 43C with my Jazz mate and we had the idea it is somehow much louder than the Curry 3C.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if size is going to be an issue with lips swelling the curry might not be a good choice. i like the curry 3C because it feels on the small side of the 3 size. the FO 3 C-O is marginally larger by specification but feels much larger on the lips.
there has to be some tears and some blood in finding your right piece. if there were some better way none of us have found it except those that spin custom pieces on CAD machines. then you adjust the program to dial in an exact size. even there you are half guessing as there is also the backbore. getting back to solid grief some standard things to try would be the curry line, probably the 3C, the FO C-O, the schilke 14, trent's ACB, and kanstul's custom piece scanned off arturo sandoval's mt. vernon 3C. if you have leisure to do this in a balanced way you can buy used pieces here and ebay as they become available. i wouldn't be surprised from your description if the schilke 14 wouldn't work for you.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now for something completely different: Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz.

By definition, it is midway between a Bach 3C and a 3D in all aspects. When I came back to trumpet this year, I dusted off my Bach 3C I bought in high school in the late '70's, and I just didn't have the stamina to blow it. So I also went in search of a more efficient 3C-style mouthpiece.

After an extensive safari, I came upon the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz, and studied its description and the comments about it carefully. I found a used one here on the forum, and tried it.

The title of this thread is, "A more efficient Bach 3C." With my limitations in breath support, range and stamina, I can tell you that for me the Yammy Shew Jazz does exactly that. It is slightly brighter than a 3C, but not noticeably so unless you really listen for it. I find that my breath support is much more efficient, and all other aspects of my playing are better for me with this mouthpiece on my trumpet.

I have a 3D, and it is so different with the flatter alpha angle that I bottom out on it. I have also tried the Curry C and MC, and a Yammy 14B4, and even different mouthpieces like a 7D, which felt a little small in rim diameter, a 7C, which felt thin to me, and others. For me, with the help of a friend of mine who used to teach beginning band, to help me get back up to speed, the Shew Jazz was the consensus for tone, intonation, better breath support, and carrying the phrase.

The upside is that they are relatively inexpensive new or used, and so if it doesn't work out, as all players' embouchures, horns, repertoire and requirements are different, it is an easy flip.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popes

that's a really good suggestion, common, easy to find, inexpensive. as to your observation on cup depth and degree of brightness. small changes in cup volume either way are not going to affect your sound in a significant way. they will for a very short while, you plug the piece in and blow it and hey this sounds different. it's a function of the chops and body being used to the last piece. in a shockingly short period of time the lips and brain make adjustments and then you sound precisely as you did before. it's the nature of the trumpet that you can color sound out of a small volume mouthpiece with broad latitude.
great suggestion. low buck solutions are an excellent starting point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: