• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Overcoming Endurance Issues?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
For me, it's all about letting the air do all the work! I believe in fitness - I exercise 6 days a week. Total body strength, including legs, core, and upper body, are essential for endurance on demanding gigs, because you won't have to tense up to play, you can relax.

But after physical fitness, the most important is to let the air do all the work! When the air stops working, then your chops take over, and will soon tire out. This James Morrison video was a game changer for me, I hope that it helps you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkbxa8LcZj4

Good luck!!

The air stream is directed through the lips. The lips resist the air stream and, as a result, vibrate. The resistance of the lips is effectuated by the muscles controlling the embouchure. Muscles tire through use.

So, how does changing the air steam (or changing anything about the air stream prior to the air stream passing through the lips) have the effect of changing the rate at which the muscles controlling the embouchure tire?

The concept of "letting the air do all the work" suggests that there is a way to alter or otherwise control the air stream prior to the air stream passing through the lips which has the effect of reducing the rate at which the muscles controlling the embouchure tire. How is that possible? What are the details of the mechanics of how such a result is produced?
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a technique thing. you have been playing a long time and should have gotten progressively stronger. the fundamental way you blow the trumpet, configuring the lip set and so forth, this has to be done in the right way for you. there are people here who specialize in this and a lesson with a top person could open your eyes.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam. I don't have any specific suggestions--I'm sure you've heard it all from the teachers you mentioned. I do empathize, though.

I haven't been able to figure out why I can play marches in wind band without too much trouble but struggle to get through a few choruses of improvising in jazz band. The marches are just as strenuous as the solos I'm noodling through in jazz band, maybe moreso, but I get tired faster while improvising. I know it's something about efficiency and mindset, but knowing it and fixing it are two different things.

So I'm right there with you, and I'm reading the responses here of others who've been through this and figured out a successful approach with interest.

By the way, I noticed that the Monster Oils guys have posted a teaser interview with Jim Pandolfi and will release the full interview on Feb 1. This grabbed my attention, because I've read a quote from David Krauss of the Met Opera orchestra, who said he never would have made it as a pro if he hadn't studied with Pandolfi, whose approach to playing helped him find the range and endurance he needed. In the teaser, Pandolfi said something about how a lot of the conventional wisdom is wrong ("if you blow, you suck!" -- what a great line!). Just passing it along in case you might be interested.
Piccolo Stomvi
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Overcoming Endurance Issues? Reply with quote

Hi there!
Endurance is just putting in sensible practice time and building up. Practice your classical etudes e.g. Arban, Charlier, Saint jacome etc......
With the Arban Characteristic studies try playing through one of them. Then, REST 5 minutes. Then play through another etc......this really does workout the endurance!
The Charlier etudes are lovely and will build up melodic stamina as well for your quartet/quintet playing as a preparation. The saint jacome grand artistic studies are VERY demanding for endurance as they are 2 pages long! However these are especially good as a workout. After playing one through REST longer then played! This gives the muscles a chance to build and re group! Different things work for different players so listen to your chops and body! Honestly, these suggested workouts have helped me and passed on to me by some very fine players. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.
Happy blowing and best of luck to you.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, Your experience sounds exactly like mine. I worked exhaustively with Claude Gordon and Don Reinhardt through my Masters in Performance, but things only got worse. I then discovered Jerome Callet and he was a tremendous help. Jerome is in NYC so contact him for a modern approach that directly addresses lip, jaw, and tongue issues. Also take some lessons with Mac Gollehon. He's likely the strongest, most powerful player in NYC (or anywhere). He surely has the most endurance. And he's a real student of the chops. Best wishes!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Turkle wrote:
For me, it's all about letting the air do all the work! I believe in fitness - I exercise 6 days a week. Total body strength, including legs, core, and upper body, are essential for endurance on demanding gigs, because you won't have to tense up to play, you can relax.

But after physical fitness, the most important is to let the air do all the work! When the air stops working, then your chops take over, and will soon tire out. This James Morrison video was a game changer for me, I hope that it helps you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkbxa8LcZj4

Good luck!!

The air stream is directed through the lips. The lips resist the air stream and, as a result, vibrate. The resistance of the lips is effectuated by the muscles controlling the embouchure. Muscles tire through use.

So, how does changing the air steam (or changing anything about the air stream prior to the air stream passing through the lips) have the effect of changing the rate at which the muscles controlling the embouchure tire?

The concept of "letting the air do all the work" suggests that there is a way to alter or otherwise control the air stream prior to the air stream passing through the lips which has the effect of reducing the rate at which the muscles controlling the embouchure tire. How is that possible? What are the details of the mechanics of how such a result is produced?

It's a good question and admittedly the answers aren't easy to type. But I think it comes down to a full relaxed breath, proper posture (weight on balls of feet, knees slightly bent or at least not locked, lightly engaged core, hips rolled forward, shoulders back, relaxed neck and arms), and using "energized air" that naturally works with the standing wave of the horn rather than forcing a bunch of air through the instrument.

Look, if the air isn't doing the work, then the chops are. Here's an easy way to prove it to yourself. Take a big, beautiful, relaxed breath and play a scale from low C to high C, keeping your volume constant and your tone even. Now take a crappy shallow breath and do the same thing. What happens? You can't even make it above G above the staff before your tone goes all to hell and your chops engage and start working overtime. With a big breath, you barely use your chops. With a small breath, you work them so they burn when you're done playing.

Now, the above is an admittedly extreme example. But even small modifications to more efficiently use your air in a more relaxed manner can have big-time effects over the course of a 3-hour gig! Again, weight on balls of feet, knees not locked, hips forward, core slightly engaged, shoulders back and upper body relaxed - now you're ready to play. That all helps make sure the air can do the work so your chops don't have to.

Sorry if the above seems like a bunch of woo, but it works for me.

Cheers
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding that a lot of the limitations of a given embouchure is related to leverage. If you do a reasonable amount of playing, then range and endurance will be commensurate, UNLESS your particular muscle construction and movement in relation to everything else, to include mouthpiece rim placement and diameter, is already limited by where the "fulcrum" of that movement is.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not OK with just playing great in the staff. I WILL demand more of my chops, but my brain also has to figure out how to best help the chops for the amount and type of playing I do. A LOT of times it does mean "practice more", but maybe it also means "practice better", and yet even before that, it means figure out what "better" is:

Where is the vibrating surface on the lips? Is it further back, in the middle or out near the edge of the pink?
What do you do to raise the frequency? Are you "rolling in", or using more pressure, or zipping in from the corners or just "saying 'M'" and clamping down harder or allowing the lips to "unfurl" into more of a pucker, etc.?

There are no wrong answers, but there is a vast difference between what *can* only work well up to a point of failure, and what *might* work to offer an increased range and/or endurance that is all but unlimited.

I've said this elsewhere, but it's clear that A LOT of guys never get much above high C, even after 20+ years of playing. MOST never increase their range significantly beyond whatever they had after 5 years of playing - whether it's a significant range or not. SOME, like Wayne Bergeron, had a Double C when they were 12. So, what does he do naturally that so many others never figure out?

Leverage. Wayne had it from the beginning. It takes chop strength to resist the air, sure, but he's not super-human, and he gets the same 24hrs in the day that we all get. He can't clip pencils in half with just his lips. (or can he? LOL) Where *reasonable* force is applied, the ability to overcome or withstand the opposing force will be harder or easier because of where the "fulcrum" is, i.e., where your lips start from and how much range of motion there is before you run out (range), or whether it's just not a naturally-supported "set" to begin with. How long can you hold a gallon of milk at arm's length vs. holding it next to your chest? Are you playing with a "natural" embouchure that is effectively already at "arm's length" to begin with?

Now, all those answers might eventually translate to a smaller mouthpiece, or a different set-point for the rim, or a change in aperture, or a change in where the vibrating surface is, or any number of combinations, but this is all just to help you think about what's really happening to change or hold pitch inside your mouthpiece, because whatever else you ever make happen will eventually have to happen in there.

Good luck! I've been struggling with these same things for years but these concepts are now bringing me some success. Along the way in the last 2 years, I've picked up the Warburton PETE, Lynn Nicholson's XPiece/MF Protocol, Bob Odneal's Casual Double C method and I recently switched to a smaller Marcinkiewicz E14 Bobby Shew 1 for lead work in my group. I'm glad to say that using these concepts to make these decisions has helped ensure that it's ALL helping, and feels great!

You might not think about it much now at your age, but today, it's extremely important to my mental health to realize that I'm 39 years down the road and still able to make progress towards some really exciting playing goals that are NOT out of reach!
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
CalvinPrice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: endurance problems Reply with quote

I understand exactly what you are frustrated with; I think we all share your experience in some way or another.

I know a lot of people buy into the Caruso Method and I'm sure it has helped them. I prefer Claude Gordon "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice" as a way of building endurance and range. The important thing is to follow Mr. Gordon's written directions. When I've returned from vacations, 2 days of the 1st lesson in his book and "I'm baaack".

Hope this helps.

Online trumpet lessons
www.CalvinPrice.com
www.onlinetrumpetlessons.com
calvincprice@gmail.com
619-540-0997
McVouty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathise with you - I think most trumpet players have been or are still where you are to one degree or another. As others have mentioned some lip/teeth/jaw combinations more more naturally suited to trumpet playing than others. If you're far off the optimum it can be frustrating but with diligent practice you can still build the correct muscles to give you better endurance and range.

Here are a few factors that will limit your endurance for sure.

1) Too much mouthpiece pressure.

Solution - learn to play with more lip pucker and/or air pockets between teeth and lip. Maggio and Gordon pedals are the building blocks for doing this. BE has some interesting exercises too. Remember you build from the lower register - keeping the nice relaxed feeling as you ascend.

2) Too little air support for any given note - often leading to 1) above.

Solution - long tones, hold note till empty, loud, soft, crescendo decrescendo. If you prefer to keep moving use the Clarke drills all in one breath as directed. Never play higher than you are comfortable - this might be quite a bit lower than your highest note, but you are working on breath support and not lip strength.

3) Too much playing/isometric exercises causing chronic muscle fatigue - often leading to 1) again!

Solution - REST more often!!!!!

4) Insufficient embouchure strength - leading to 1) above when the muscles tire out.

Solution - Caruso is a quite a good way to build up the support muscles, as are exercises like the 20 minute G. You can also work on this with isometrics such as the pencil exercise, PETE, or Larry Mergilianos hermetic seal exercise. Be careful not to overdo these exercises though - to quote Clarke, a few drops of medicine can cure but a whole teaspoon can kill.

As you can see from above, crushing the lips with the mouthpiece is the number one endurance killer - but you will need to work on other aspects of your technique in order to reduce this, as well as consciously trying to back-off where you can.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Carl
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A practice routine that is overzealous can train your chops to fail in a short period of time. Make sure that your daily routine doesn't overemphasize strenuous exercises.

This continues to be something I struggle with. Since I don't practice for hours every day I always seem to be in a hurry to play the hard stuff. Thirty minutes later I'm toast. When I keep my routine balanced I finish my routine feeling stronger.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

I have had these same questions for years. However, after taking some lessons with Jim Thompson and Joey Pero, and studying and experimenting, I think I see a few glimmers of something or other. The reader can decide whether it's actual knowledge or whether I'm blowing in the wind.

From a physics point of view, James Morrison is absolutely correct. It takes x amount of physical energy to play the horn and trying to put in more that x is a waste of time.

There are several variables that have to come together as a system for the horn to produce sound. For the sake of simplicity, let's just say there are two: air and chops (yeah, I'm generalizing). I believe most of us, me included, approach the trumpet by setting the chops first, and blowing through the setting. In doing this, I think we tend to over-set the chops and vary the air until the tone and pitch arrive at what we want. (I'm leaving tongue level out of this to keep it simple.)

Some people take the opposite approach. They put air through the horn and allow (not force) the chops to adjust until they achieve the right sound. I now believe this is the correct approach. In doing this, you only use as much chops energy as necessary to achieve the goal whereas in the first way, you waste chops energy needlessly.

In a perfect world, you would only use as much air producing energy and as much chops energy as you needed. However, most of us aren't that good. So, it you're going to overdo one side or the other, overdo the air producing side because you have much, much more energy reserve there than in your chops.

I think taking this approach minimizes the work necessary from the chops. The pros who can play all day have optimized this to require even less chops energy. And that's why we practice.

My 2 cents.

-John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
From a physics point of view, James Morrison is absolutely correct. It takes x amount of physical energy to play the horn and trying to put in more that x is a waste of time.

I think another way to express the same idea is that efficiency is never automatic. When we start we are not particularly efficient. It's something that must be refined through conscious effort. There is no shortage of way to sabotage this and lots of players have habits that actively work against it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

Great questions.

There is a balance in forces involved in playing a brass instrument. Air pressure, control of the airstream via the up and forward arched tongue (if the tongue is being arched correctly when playing into the higher register), facial tension / lip compression, and mouthpiece pressure all come into play. Increase the amount of energy provided by one or more of these items, and it follows that the energy input from the others will be decreased. A player who is using proper tongue levels can blow a bit harder, arch the tongue a bit more and consequently lessen the amount of work being done by the face/lip muscles and mouthpiece pressure. Note that if a player is not using his tongue level correctly, blowing harder just results in louder notes and actually makes the lips and face muscles work harder.

The muscles of forced expiration are much larger and can be developed to much higher levels of strength and endurance than can the small muscles of the lips and face. Therefore, the more work they can do, and consequently the less work the lips, face and mouthpiece pressure have to do, the more efficient one becomes and the more endurance one can develop.

When the tongue is arched, it narrows the air passageway just before the airstream passes through the lips. As such, the area of the lips effected by the airstream becomes much smaller. Less lip tissue is made to vibrate, making it easier to make the vibration frequency faster. Less corner tension is needed because the air is not trying to blow out through a wider area of the lip. Claude Gordon had several students who used so little corner tension that as they ascended to Double High C when practicing their Systematic Approach exercises, there was a gap in their mouth corners through which one could see the sides of their teeth. No air escaped because the airstream was being channeled straight to the tiny, very middle portion of their embouchures by their arching tongues. I'm not suggesting having open corners is a developmental goal, but these anecdotes prove how unnecessary unusually tight corners are when properly playing the upper register.

Most of the above pertains mainly having good endurance in the middle/upper to upper register. Down low not much energy is required (I don't think any decent player is going to wear himself out if playing just in the middle C and below range).

In summary, there are two ways one can play higher notes - by relying mainly on face tension and lip compression, or by relying on some facial tension / lip compression and proper (up and forward) tongue arch. Either method also requires blowing harder as one ascends. One method quickly wears a player out and rarely develops range above the High C to High D range. With the other method, the sky is the limit both in terms of range and endurance, if enough proper practice and time for development is given.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: