• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Notable Performances on 7C or smaller mouthpieces?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
I recall reading somewhere that Randy Brecker did or does play on an stock 7C. Can anyone confirm or refute?

Pretty sure he plays a 2 1/2C.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
GordonH wrote:
Its easier to get a softer sound on a shallow mouthpiece than a bright sound on a deep one. Warren Vache and Arturo spring to mind as people playing on relatively shallow mouthpieces without sounding like chainsaws.

Arturo plays a Mt Vernon 3C as his main piece, right? Was there variance in the depth? I borrowed one for a while and it was a big deep C cup.

Mike

His is shallower, I am pretty sure.
Have a look at the Warburton version.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the input and also for not letting this devolve into a bigger/smaller is better issue! Obviously very good players have been successful on mouthpieces of all sizes.

I may not have been clear in my OP however. What I am looking for are PARTICULAR performances/recordings that you really love that I can use in a compilation.
Based on this list these come to mind at this point:
Herseth/Kubliek- Pictures
Conrad Gozzo- Trumpeter's Prayer
Timofei Dokschitzer - Concert Etude (or many others!)

I would love a Warren Luening example...I thought I had a big band thing he did shortly before he passed.."Emily" maybe..but can't find it. I did find a nice soundtrack from "The River" featuring him.

I have some others that are favorites but I was hoping to find some new examples that i was not familiar with. It seems that many of the non-trumpet players have in mind that you can't get a nice big, lyrical sound on a 7C or smaller so I want examples to send their way.

Thanks again.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably the Al Hirt Haydn Concerto recording was done on a shallow mouthpiece. It sounds like his normal sound.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry Manilow album Singin' with the Big Bands. Even if you don't like his singing, he has some phenomenal musicians behind him, with Warren Leuning playing the solos in I Can't Get Started and And The Angels Sing.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge fan of Manilow's voice but he has done some nice work. I really like the Paradise Cafe recording with Gerry Mulligan, Sarah Vaughn, Mel Torme...very well done overall.

I will check out the big band Cd...not familiar with it.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
GordonH wrote:
Its easier to get a softer sound on a shallow mouthpiece than a bright sound on a deep one. Warren Vache and Arturo spring to mind as people playing on relatively shallow mouthpieces without sounding like chainsaws.

Arturo plays a Mt Vernon 3C as his main piece, right? Was there variance in the depth? I borrowed one for a while and it was a big deep C cup.

Mike

Off topic, but sure I've heard he's mainly using a Mt Vernon 1.25C as his main piece these days?
(Having had both MtV 3c and MtV 1.25C, the rims were very close in size and shape, the 1.25C was deeper)

I wouldn't call the Mt Vernon 3c I had (or any clones of Mt Vernon 3c's you can buy) particularly shallow - they're not bathtubs, but there's plenty more volume in them than in (to pick something many of us are familiar with as an example) a Warburton M cup.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that Dokshizer also recorded extensively, so you should be able to find a lot more than just Concert Etude.

On a quick search I found a lot of smaller works, but also a major work he recorded, the Arutunian Concerto. All the kids auditioning for honor bands should have to listen to it, since it's a piece often called for.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:

I would love a Warren Luening example...

Warren played on a Mt Vernon 7C (to the best of my knowledge).

Here's a few examples of his playing - superb & effortless!

Link

Link

Link

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One trumpet mouthpiece does not fit all, just as one anything does not fit all. Look at the responses on this list, and then consider what they are playing. Players with 7C or smaller mouthpieces are (for the most part) playing a great deal of high music, or in a group that plays a lot. That kind of playing, in both instances, is rarely done by most on here. If you have a full time brass quintet gig that tours 200 nights a year, a smaller mouthpiece with a slightly wider rim makes a ton of sense as it allows you to relax, to become efficient with your set-up, and to work at NOT working to play what you need to play.

An orchestral player generally plays less, in short bursts of high energy, and does so with the requirement to blend first, lead second, and solo last. Tone and intonation are very emphasized factors of orchestral playing. Power and brilliance at the right moment for sure, but blend, focus and intonation are far more important.

Those two considerations set, consider your own playing. If you play a lot of quintet work and are doing things in the same technical and endurance demands as the Canadian Brass, playing it all on a Bach 1 with a 23 throat and 87 backbore is ridiculous. Something smaller, more efficient, and that still allows you to play with a focused, high quality sound is essential. Something with a smaller diameter, larger rim width should allow you to do all of these things.

IF you solo a lot with orchestras and groups, a mouthpiece that is most beneficial will be the one that allows a crystal clear, focused sound with great beauty. Again, a huge mouthpiece just adds to the work.

Playing lead in a big band is another sitation where a Bach 1C is generally far too large, and would require an incredible amount of work to achieve. Smaller mouthpieces can aid endurance, stamina, and the creation of a constant, projecting sound. Again, the right tool is essential.

Finally, a orchestral player who comes to rehearsal with a 13A4a might struggle to create the depth of tone and resonance that a larger mouthpiece could assist. Blend first, lead second, solo last in an orchestra. If you make those your goals, you will succeed. If you think that 90% of orchestral playing is a Strauss Tone Poem or Mahler Symphony every week, well...it simply isn't true. For most orchestras, the repertoire is far more Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven, perhaps Brahms. Most have solo moments, but rarely are there long periods where the brasses lead. Better to be in tune, balance with the orchestra, and solo only where required.

Probably too much, and not designed for a war starter. Rather, group the names mentioned in this thread by their standard genre, and the answers are pretty clear.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep in mind this post was started because middle and high school students who were quite happy and successful on their 7C mouthpieces are being told to get something bigger just because they shouldn't "still" be playing on a 7C.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Please keep in mind this post was started because middle and high school students who were quite happy and successful on their 7C mouthpieces are being told to get something bigger just because they shouldn't "still" be playing on a 7C.

And yet this is where the discussion has led, and to be honest, I took sense that the original post asked for professionals names to cite as examples.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H. n. White's website has links to data from the thirties and forties and all mouthpieces were the same diameter.

Today's Cornet: York Eminence
Today's Mouthpiece: Marcinkiewicz CG Personal 16 Throat
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
bach_again wrote:
GordonH wrote:

Mike

His is shallower, I am pretty sure.
Have a look at the Warburton version.

I actually was able to spend a couple of hours before a concert with Arturo about a month ago. Arturo told me he is now playing on a 1and 1/4 C based on a Mount Vernon Bach.

Not exactly a shallow piece.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
fabiopereirabr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Notable Performances on 7C or smaller mouthpieces? Reply with quote

maybe freddie can give them some good advice..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VN8zH366M8
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Notable Performances on 7C or smaller mouthpieces? Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe freddie can give them some good advice..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VN8zH366M8

Hubbard used a Bach "6"...no letter...piece.

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT#1" BB / Reeves #4.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" FL.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JevtL7pYRb8

Mic played on a 'piece much smaller than a 7C. He had one of the biggest sounds I have ever encountered. His cornet 'piece is about the diameter of a Bach 10 1/2, but with a different internal shape.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Don Cherry used to use a 20C?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Thanks for all of the input and also for not letting this devolve into a bigger/smaller is better issue! Obviously very good players have been successful on mouthpieces of all sizes.

I may not have been clear in my OP however. What I am looking for are PARTICULAR performances/recordings that you really love that I can use in a compilation.
Based on this list these come to mind at this point:
Herseth/Kubliek- Pictures
Conrad Gozzo- Trumpeter's Prayer
Timofei Dokschitzer - Concert Etude (or many others!)

I would love a Warren Luening example...I thought I had a big band thing he did shortly before he passed.."Emily" maybe..but can't find it. I did find a nice soundtrack from "The River" featuring him.

I have some others that are favorites but I was hoping to find some new examples that i was not familiar with. It seems that many of the non-trumpet players have in mind that you can't get a nice big, lyrical sound on a 7C or smaller so I want examples to send their way.

Thanks again.

Check out "All or Nothing at All" featuring Warren on Patrick Williams' Sinatraland album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap18RDKjk4U About 5:15 into the youtube

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Eddie Henderson used to play a 7C during his days with Herbie Hancock and his solo stuff on Capricorn and Blue Note-don't know if he still does though.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: