• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tripple pedals (?)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now your are purposefully baiting me.

I don't try to help people that are only looking for attention.

Many people here do not know your history on TH. Unfortunately, I do.

Jeff
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Now your are purposefully baiting me.

I don't try to help people that are only looking for attention.

Many people here do not know your history on TH. Unfortunately, I do.

Jeff

No Jeff. You made a statement implying that the way Claude Gordon taught peddles could be harmful:

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Seymor, the difference between you and Mohan is that you do pedals in the way that Callet designed them, and not in the way that Claude Gordon recommended. Because of this difference, you will NEVER be harmed by doing the double pedal routine, as designed.

In response I politely asked you to explain what, if any difference there is between Callet's way and Gordon's way, and how you think Gordon's way could be harmful. I know you saw my response because you replied to someone else just a few posts under my response. So now, six weeks later, I made the "crickets" comment. Perhaps I should have been more polite, but frankly, I cannot remember you ever being polite to me on this forum.

In making your statement insulting my teacher, you ignored the fact that when I wrote of my slight injury, I was not even doing the exercises in the way Claude Gordon recommended. I was playing the exercises all the way down to Triple Pedal C. Claude Gordon recommended stopping at the Double Pedal C.

As for your comment about my "history" on this website, it's all there for anyone to see. I think anyone taking a look at my conduct on this webpage for the past 18 years, and your conduct (particularly when you are addressing me) will see right through the duplicitous nature of your last two sentences of your most recent post here.

I hope your attitude improves. I really do and I wish you well.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just found this thread because I tend not to post outside of the Callet forum these days but there are things here that absolutely contradict a conversation on the same topic over there.

John, you've shared this story about causing yourself harm by playing below double pedal C before and when I called you out on it the CG forum my posts were deleted and your cronies told me to grow up.

Within the last week you have talked with me and others about being interested in the way that we play double pedals, knowing that the system is completely different from what you do and in no way harmful to those who use it.

What's the deal here?

I have to say I'm with trumpetteacher1 in "knowing your history". Knowing you as a die-hard Claude Gordon advocate is one thing, but seeing you contradict yourself in these two different threads at the same time just leaves me bemused.

For those who want to know - I practise double pedals daily, have done for years, and have expanded this technique down to triple pedal C. When done properly there is absolutely no way that it is harmful.

It would be professional negligence if I were to know of any potential damage and continue teaching something anyway. This is precisely the reason I don't teach playing in the single pedal register with a consistent embouchure position - because after four years of practice I derived absolutely no benefit from doing it and because both Doc Reinhardt and Herbert Clarke criticised the technique as being harmful to some embouchure types. It's also the reason that I don't teach note bending or mouthpiece buzzing.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I think more than anything else, there is a lot of confusion in communication going on here.

How do you think I am contradicting myself? I thnk there is misunderstanding going on.

I'll try to clear some of this up.

1) As far as approaches to double pedal notes, I really don't think there can be any difference between sustaining a Triple Pedal C the "Gordon" way and doing it the "Callet" way at least in terms of any potential harms. How we approach the exercises and what we are trying to gain from the exercises might be different, but I think a sustained note is a sustained note.

2) I think it possible (as Jeff pointed out) that there is confusion in the OPs use of the term "Tripple" [sic] pedal notes - maybe he didn't mean triple, but rather he meant double pedal notes.

3) My original post here was only to warn people about sustaining notes well below Double Pedal C. I shared my own story of how I split my lip callous open on a Triple Pedal note in an effort to stop anyone else from hurting themselves similarly. I pointed out that the callous was much more built up than typical because of my playing schedule at the time (13 shows a week with three shows on Saturday and Sunday).

Note that when I hurt myself doing Triple Pedals I was NOT doing it the way Claude taught us to. He had us stop at Double Pedal C. And had I not been playing such a heavy schedule, I am sure the injury wouldn't have occurred in the first place.

4) I don't honestly remember what the rift was concerning anything you wrote in the CG Forum (I do remember something happening, but I don't remember the details). What do you mean by you "called me out" in the Gordon forum? I've looked through the CG forum and I can't find a recent topic thread discussing pedal notes. Can you remember or refer me to the topic thread?

5) You and others keep telling me that the TCE way of doing double pedals is different than the CG way, but everytime I ask for details, no one gives me any. I have just watched both yours and Civletti's 5 octave trumpet videos, and listened to your descriptions, and far as the lip positions and the sound, I see and hear no difference between what you are doing and what a CG student would be doing. If you have your tongue coming through between your lips such that your tongue is between your bottom teeth and your lower lip, that is different. But the movement of the lips and the sounds seem the same to me. When the semester is over I'll put up a youtube video up of me playing down to double pedal C so you can see how I do it. Heck I'll go down to the Triple Pedal C (it's not going to hurt me as I'm not playing a crazy schedule at this time). Maybe that will clear the air.

6) You mentioned that you routinely go down to triple pedal C. Do Callet students routinely take them down that low?

In summary, Claude developed his pedal register down to triple pedal C. He didn't think in retrospect that routinely practicing the exercise much below double pedal C really did any more good so he advised us to stop at DPC. I took it upon myself to go down to the triple pedal C routinely in practice. At a point in my career where I was playing a WHOLE lot, sustaining a triple pedal note caused the callous on my lip to give way. So I decided to stop routinely practicing that low. If one is not playing 13 heavy shows a week one will probably not have the problem I had, whether they are practicing pedals the CG way or the Callet way (with whatever differences there are between the two ways), even if they are choosing to go all the way down to triple pedal C. I don't think it is necessary or of much benefit to go that low, but I concede that perhaps for whatever the Callet way is trying to develop, maybe Callet folks feel it is beneficial to go all the way down to triple pedal C.

If you'd like to, let's get together via Skype in a few weeks (after my final exams are done) to sort out any further confusion. I think it would be fun and certainly take less time and be more of an accurate way to discuss all this.

Cheers,

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetplanet wrote:
I've only just found this thread because I tend not to post outside of the Callet forum these days but there are things here that absolutely contradict a conversation on the same topic over there...

...Within the last week you have talked with me and others about being interested in the way that we play double pedals, knowing that the system is completely different from what you do and in no way harmful to those who use it.

Well here I am again. This whole thing has been bouncing around in my mind for an hour or so and I think I know now what you see as a "contradiction". Is it that you think on the one hand I claim there is no difference between the CG way and the Callet way while at the same time I ask about any differences between the two?"

If that's the case I haven't been explaining myself very well. One last try:

While the two approaches might have different goals and there might be a difference in tongue positions (if the tongue comes through the teeth with TCE), I don't think there are any differences as far as what we are doing when we are actually sustaining a Double to a Triple Pedal note, regardless of the approach we are using. In either case to produce a given pedal note at a given volume, our lips are going to be vibrating at the same frequency and amplitude. But I fully admit I might be wrong because the only information I know about the Callet approach is from watching videos and reading (or hearing) descriptions on those videos and what I've read here. So if I am wrong and there are mechanical differences between the two methods, I'll be happy to learn of those differences.

And again, I think a good Skype conversation would be helpful in that regard. We might find we are two blind men describing the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No John, there are not two blind men. There is one. And it is you.

First, you go down your typical path, and do your best to defend the damaged honor of Claude Gordon. But you see John, there was no damage. You invented it entirely in your own mind. I never said directly, indirectly or otherwise that pedals done the Gordon way were dangerous. You just made it up, as you have made up so many things on TH over the years.

Indeed, YOU WERE THE ONE who said that pedals could be dangerous. You have taken my response to that, and twisted it (in your mind) to make it appear that I was saying something bad about Claude's pedagogy. That is BS.

Second, you now attempt to equate Gordon pedals and Callet pedals. THE LIP POSITIONS IN THE TWO APPROACHES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Anyone with half a brain can look at the videos and see and hear the difference.

Eighteen years ago I wrote a book that attempted to bridge the gap between Gordon and Callet. It was called The Balanced Embouchure. You see, I actually studied with Claude Gordon, and respected him as a man. I know his method inside and out, as I taught it for two decades. And I know where it typically fails to work with a certain percentage of players.

Naturally, I thought that my contribution would be appreciated - and it was, by a few Gordon advocates, like Larry Miller. He actually got he book and took some of the ideas for a spin - as I would expect anyone with any intellectual curiosity to do.

That was eighteen years ago. In that time, I have learned that some people in the Gordon camp - NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY -are simply not sincere about learning anything outside of their comfort zones. And that is sad, as that was not my direct experience with Claude Gordon. He was a good man. His followers have taken his pedagogy and crushed the life out of it, in my opinion. In the places it had great potential, it has become robotic and mechanical. Where questions needed to be asked, mindless defensiveness and deification have instead become the norm.

You have once again accused me of attacking your father figure. So tired of this. Yes, there are crickets. Eighteen years of crickets.

Jeff
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
I never said directly, indirectly or otherwise that pedals done the Gordon way were dangerous. You just made it up, as you have made up so many things on TH over the years.

Really? You think I just "made it up"?

This is what you wrote Jeff:

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Seymor, the difference between you and Mohan is that you do pedals in the way that Callet designed them, and not in the way that Claude Gordon recommended. Because of this difference, you will NEVER be harmed by doing the double pedal routine, as designed.

It's disappointing and ironic to me that all this started when after I wrote a post trying to help someone, relating how when I played the pedal note exercises in a way my teacher Claude Gordon did NOT recommend (going down well below double pedal C) and was hurt from doing it, you would feel the need to jump in with your comment quoted above stating that the Callet way could never harm someone, and implying that the Gordon way could.

You can claim all day and all night that's not what you meant, but those are your words you wrote Jeff.

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
You see, I actually studied with Claude Gordon, and respected him as a man. I know his method inside and out, as I taught it for two decades.

Yes, you studied with him. As I understand it, based on Claude's records which Jeff Purtle obtained through the estate auction, you took a crash course and and also had several lessons with him. And then you moved on. In my opinion that would make you familiar with his teaching method, not an expert about it. Those who studied with Claude for five years or more (sixteen in my case), and/or took his teaching method course to become certified as CG teachers are the ones who know his method "inside and out."

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Naturally, I thought that my contribution would be appreciated - and it was, by a few Gordon advocates, like Larry Miller.

Yes it is appreciated by Gordon advocates, and not just a few. I'm one of them. I use the concept of the lip roll in and roll out on some of my students. Learned that from you and your book (I still have the copy you sent me many years ago).

Best wishes (I mean that Jeff - life's really too short and it's a beautiful day out there),

John
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be clear about this John. I do not seek to interact with you. Yes, life is short, which is why I choose to stay as far away from you as is possible.

Why would I have that attitude?

First, you confabulate things constantly. You just make things up, and try to make it look like you are defending the honor of your father figure. YOU are the one that said that pedals done in the Gordon way below a certain point can be harmful. I never said that. I flat-out think that you are wasting players time and filling them with unnecessary fear. All I said was that if a player sticks with the Callet pedals, then no harm is possible. In other words, there was no need to fear. And then you began to confabulate, and to bait me with false accusations.

<<<You can claim all day and all night that's not what you meant, but those are your words you wrote Jeff. >>>

NO John. That is YOUR INTERPRETATION of the words I wrote. There is a big difference between YOUR INTERPRETATION and the truth. But you obviously don't care about the truth, or about the actual intent of an author. Your FEELINGS are all you care about. I came to that conclusion quite a while ago.

<<<Yes, you studied with him. As I understand it, based on Claude's records which Jeff Purtle obtained through the estate auction, you took a crash course and and also had several lessons with him. And then you moved on. >>>

I figured that this was coming. You and Purtle have both tried to attack my credibility based on the creepy compilation of records after Claude died. I found it ASTOUNDING that neither of you contacted me and simply asked me when and where I studied with Claude. Instead, you jumped to a false conclusion (sound familiar?) and declared to the world that I had never taken regular lessons with Claude, and had only taken a Crash Course. You were both damn liars, but all you cared about was your agenda. I have learned that truth has no meaning to you. You jump to false conclusions and make up stuff to fit your agenda.

So tired of it.

<<<Learned that from you and your book (I still have the copy you sent me many years ago>>>

Yes, I sent you the BE book FOR FREE many years ago, in the hope of helping you get out of your self-imposed box. In it, I exactly describe how to do the Callet double pedals. I CLEARLY illustrate how different they are from conventional pedals. And yet, you claim ignorance of how they are done, and now you want to "skype" to "compare notes."

After over 40 years of teaching, I have learned (finally) to know when a player is not sincere. You are not sincere. You continue to make false accusations. After 18 years I have had enough.

As a result of this, I have decided to restore the Claude Gordon section of my website. Time to set the record straight, and let people decide for themselves who is telling the truth.

Jeff
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interest of clearing up any confusion over the differences in the two systems I will just throw in my last two cents. John Mohan and I have settled our differences off of the public forum, so this isn't a continuation of any disagreement, but instead just me sharing my point of view.

There is one clear difference between the way that pedal tones are taught by Jerome Callet and the way that they are taught in more 'traditional' schools, which includes Mendez/Maggio and Claude Gordon's pedagogy.

To the best of my knowledge, the traditional schools instruct very clearly that there should be no intentional manipulation of the lips or mouthpiece position in order to play pedal tones. This is an essential detail as these schools teach that you would develop a separate 'pedal embouchure' and derive no benefit from the practice.

Brass Playing Is No harder Than Deep Breathing wrote:
The lips do not play the pedals (they only vibrate) so do not try to play them by pooching out the lips or by other means of using the lips.

Original Louis Maggio System For Brass by MacBeth wrote:
Remember to approach the pedal tones from an octave above to retain the playing embouchure and to insure accurate pitch.

'The Callet way' specifically instructs the exact opposite of this. You are meant to learn to play double pedal tones with a different type of embouchure. The einsetzen embouchure is one that features an exaggerated unrolling of the lips and the movement of the mouthpiece up to 7/8ths on the top lip. When slurring back to the normal low, middle or high registers of the trumpet you resume usage of an ansetzen embouchure and slide the mouthpiece back down to a more normal position.

Trumpet Yoga wrote:
[Pedal tones are] started by placing the mouthpiece seven eighths on the top lip and with very light arm pressure, begin to unroll both lips outward. This lip action is called unfurling. The lips are still against the teeth but unfurled to their fullest extent. [...] The top lip feels, as it unrolls, like it is being pulled down.

If you are a student or proponent of the traditional pedal tone system and find yourself playing double pedals with an unfurled or einsetzen embouchure then you are not doing as instructed.

Conclude from this what you will, but I shall not be returning to this thread.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean all of you are killing this stupid discussion?
All this discussion of "trumpet farts" is smelling up the forum!
Rod
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thoroughly enjoyed this ... thank you.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich. Claude was not as rigid in his personal teaching regarding keeping the exact same embouchure as he was in his book where you quoted, but I think you're right - in the Callet version, more change in the embouchure is permitted. When going down to the lower notes Claude used to say in our lessons, "Just drop your jaw and think, 'Aw'." On the Double Pedals I definitely drop a portion of my lower lip out of the mouthpiece. And if I go all the way down to a Triple Pedal C I am pretty much adopting the embouchure you describe as the Callet way of doing the exercise. I can easily slur from a double pedal C to just about my highest notes and when I do that there is a lot of lip movement under the mouthpiece, but no break in the sound so I think tecnically it qualifies as one embouchure.

After this semester ends I am probably going to do a YouTube video demonstrating how to properly practice Parts One and Two of Lesson Two in the Systematic Approach booklet, and if I do, I'd be curious to hear what you have to say about what my embouchure looks like as I get to the lowest notes, and if you think it is similar to or different from what you and the other TCE players do.

Best wishes,

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Please be clear about this John. I do not seek to interact with you. Yes, life is short, which is why I choose to stay as far away from you as is possible.

Why would I have that attitude?

First, you confabulate things constantly. You just make things up, and try to make it look like you are defending the honor of your father figure. YOU are the one that said that pedals done in the Gordon way below a certain point can be harmful.

No, I said that (in my opinion, based on my experience) practicing into the range well below Double Pedal C can be harmful. I did not write that it had anything to do with what approach one uses. You interjected that idea that it had something to do with the Gordon approach when (again) you wrote:

trumpetteacher1 wrote:

I mention that I was practicing "the Part One exercises", meaning a group of exercises out of Claude Gordon's book. But how do you interpret that to mean I was saying that it was the specific way Claude taught us to play pedal notes that was the cause of the slight injury I experienced? Especially when I made it clear in that post that the reason my callouses were prone to cracking open was because I was playing two concurrent musicals at the same time, 13 shows a week.

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
<<<You can claim all day and all night that's not what you meant, but those are your words you wrote Jeff. >>>

NO John. That is YOUR INTERPRETATION of the words I wrote.

You're absolutely right, it is my interpretation of the words you wrote. And I think it is also the interpretation of most others who have read those words. I could be wrong.

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
<<<Yes, you studied with him. As I understand it, based on Claude's records which Jeff Purtle obtained through the estate auction, you took a crash course and and also had several lessons with him. And then you moved on. >>>

I figured that this was coming. You and Purtle have both tried to attack my credibility based on the creepy compilation of records after Claude died. I found it ASTOUNDING that neither of you contacted me and simply asked me when and where I studied with Claude. Instead, you jumped to a false conclusion (sound familiar?) and declared to the world that I had never taken regular lessons with Claude, and had only taken a Crash Course. You were both damn liars, but all you cared about was your agenda. I have learned that truth has no meaning to you. You jump to false conclusions and make up stuff to fit your agenda.

I was not involved in the procurement of those records but I did partake in a discussion about them and what Jeff's research divulged here on the TH. But this was after Jeff put it on his website that you had only taken a single crash course and some lessons (I had nothing to do with that). I don't think there's anything "creepy" about Jeff's compiling those records. Jeff (and many others) bid for many items in the Claude Gordon estate auction - mouthpieces, photo albums, instruments, unpublished manuscripts and Claude's financial records (remember how he used to keep a ledger and enter the amount and number of the check when we paid him?), and even the stamps Claude used to stamp BIG BREATH CHEST UP, and the other things into our books. Jeff bid on the financial records because he wanted to find all Claude's former students to list on his website and establish how long people had studied with him (for what I think are obvious reasons). I was not a part of this research. Jeff called me on the phone to tell me that as near as he could tell, you had taken a single crash course with Claude. I remember him telling me that you also took some lessons, but honestly, it might have been you that told me that later on. For the record, I did not and I do not like the way he refers to you as Jeff "Mr. Balanced Embouchure" Smiley on his website in the CG student list.

I am asking respectfully, how long did you study with Claude? I think it's a fair question, given that you claim to know his method "inside and out". If you've answered this question in the past, please forgive me, I don't remember.

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
<<<Learned that from you and your book (I still have the copy you sent me many years ago>>>

Yes, I sent you the BE book FOR FREE many years ago, in the hope of helping you get out of your self-imposed box. In it, I exactly describe how to do the Callet double pedals. I CLEARLY illustrate how different they are from conventional pedals. And yet, you claim ignorance of how they are done, and now you want to "skype" to "compare notes."

Jeff, you sent me that book at least ten maybe 12 years ago. I'm sorry, I did look through it, and gleaned some useful info from it for which I thank you, but I did not make a thorough study of it and frankly I didn't even remember that you described the Callet double pedals in it. When you brought that fact up earlier in this thread I decided that once this semester is over (one more Final Exam on Monday) that I'd get your book out and take a look at the pedal notes section.

And yes, I sure do want to get together (with Rich) and share information. I wouldn't mind getting together with you, either. There is no animosity coming from my end here. Being upset that you wrote what you wrote does not make me hate you or even dislike you. I wonder about you though...

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
After over 40 years of teaching, I have learned (finally) to know when a player is not sincere. You are not sincere. You continue to make false accusations. After 18 years I have had enough.

As a result of this, I have decided to restore the Claude Gordon section of my website. Time to set the record straight, and let people decide for themselves who is telling the truth.

Jeff

Great! I look forward to seeing it. Though that last sentence does seem a bit ominous, but maybe I'm just misinterpreting your meaning.

I wish you well, Jeff.

Cheers,

John
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" ... you could be spending your time practicing and playing your trumpet ... "
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:

or buzzing your mouthpiece...
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:

Ya got me there!!!

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
mm55 wrote:

or buzzing your mouthpiece...

The hits just keep on comin'!

Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or posting these (at last) coming videos about how to correctly play double or more down pedals
pace e salute
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<No, I said that (in my opinion, based on my experience) practicing into the range well below Double Pedal C can be harmful. I did not write that it had anything to do with what approach one uses. >>>

And what approach did you use when playing your notes below double pedal C? Let me guess - the Claude Gordon approach? And my response was that a player will NEVER have a problem playing double pedals with the Callet approach. And then you freaked out.

I think that anyone can see the problem with your logic. According to you it was "double pedals in general" that caused your issue, and not Gordon pedals specifically. When I pointed out that Callet double pedals would never cause a problem, you were suddenly trapped into defending your father figure. That was not my intent, but that is how you interpreted it.

John, I realize that you have issues interpreting context. You also have hypersensitivity issues regarding anything related to your father figure. And that you tend to have difficulty seeing the forest for the trees.

So in that light I'm going to respond, and spell it out for you in the clearest possible terms. Then, it will hopefully be over forever. I don't enjoy interacting with you. I actually have a pretty good life outside of this forum.

The most important thing to take away from this is that nobody here cares about this issue except you.

REPEAT - NOBODY CARES ABOUT THIS BUT YOU. NOBODY WAS OUTRAGED BUT YOU. THE REST OF THE COMMUNITY THINKS THAT THIS IS MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.

Here is exactly what I said, with commentary below each paragraph in red:

"Seymor, the difference between you and Mohan is that you do pedals in the way that Callet designed them, and not in the way that Claude Gordon recommended. Because of this difference, you will NEVER be harmed by doing the double pedal routine, as designed. Back in his heyday, Callet would do this routine up to 10 times per day, and never had any ill effects. Instead, he experienced the benefits of doing them properly, as you apparently do as well.

Seymor is a BE student. I wanted to make sure he knew that double pedals can never harm him, as he does them the Callet way. Fear disguised as "advice" is regularly transmitted on this forum. If there was ever any reason to fear doing double pedals, whether by using the Gordon approach or any other approach, there is simply no reason to be concerned when doing them as Callet instructed. You can do 10 shows a day or 100 shows a day. It simply doesn't matter. You can never be harmed by Callet double pedals.

I've taught over 20,000 lessons and have never seen any type of injury from doing the Callet pedals. Very much the opposite.

In my experience on Trumpet Herald, there are way too many players here who do "Danger Danger Will Robinson!" type of posts, based on a very narrow way of interpreting trumpet pedagogy and an equally narrow way of viewing our ultimate human potential. Take most of those "danger" warnings with a grain of salt."

This last paragraph, of course was my point. Too much fear is presented here as "advice." People like yourself think that they have a good intent in presenting their fear story, but they fail to see the whole picture, and how they may be negatively influencing players here. Because of fear, players become limited. Fear is the biggest multiplier of embouchure problems. In my teaching, most adult players I have encountered carry tremendous psychological baggage, primarily because they have taught (by people with good intent) to be afraid - afraid of pressure, afraid of high notes, afraid to auditions, the list goes on and on. And now we have to add another - the fear of double pedal tones!

John, instead of seeing the bigger message I wanted to send - whether you agree with it or not - you fixated on, and fully misinterpreted a single sentence. The fact is, I did double pedals using the Gordon approach, down to F below double pedal C, FOR DECADES, with no ill effects. However, the benefits I gained from doing those Gordon pedals, both for me and my students, paled in comparison to the benefits gained by doing double pedals as Callet designed.

Because of my extensive experience both doing and teaching Gordon pedals, my general feeling was that your story, besides promoting an unnecessary fear of double pedals, was hogwash (you should be familiar with that term, as Claude used it all the time). I'm sure that you believe your story, but I think that different (and more important) causative factors were in play.

If you want to keep picking at me, and baiting me, and calling me duplicitous, then I will keep responding. It took me a long time, but I have learned to never back down to false accusations. But at some point it will stop, and I will never communicate with you again. Bliss!

Jeff
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: