• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

British-style Brass Band mpc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
trumpet_cop wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
trumpet56 wrote:
I would try an Alliance 2AW (made by Wick). More comfortable rim than a Wick but still with that BB cornet sound.

And I can make things even more complicated: why not try the Wick Ultra series? A 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 C might fit? But then I am the guy who could never stand the common no letter Wicks, or variants of them.

Is the ultra series deep enough to achieve the proper sound? Genuinely serious question, as I had intended to get one for orchestral cornet work but if it is too deep then I will continue searching.

The ultra series is fairly deep... but the sound is noticeably brighter than a Wick B cup.

I used one as a soprano cornet mouthpiece (in championship section) for a while and it worked quite well for that - I tried it on Bb cornet and nearly impaled the poor horns opposite me...

The pale faces in the euphonium section across the bandstand haven´t gotten paler, also our trumpetsoundhating director has not given me the eye so I guess it´s not that bright. As I also play lead in big bands one could imagine me blaring out but I find this mpc quite adequate, big nice warm sound, a bit brighter yes but good enough - in my opinion. The other guys in the cornet section play Wick 4B:s, one Heritage 3, one Wick 5 and a Curry 3 TZ, soprano guy (fenomenal lead trumpeter in some classy big bands)Bach 3C and so forth.
Obviously you´ll have to add yourself ( the way you play) and the cornet you play into the equation. I have a Getzen 3850/Custom, fairly big horn well matched by the mpc and me - I generally play rather relaxed (well the Dambusters makes me not that relaxed towards the end) - meaning - if you press on any mpc might impale people, even in the audience.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Pauvog11

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got one of these for my cornet: http://www.horntrader.com/horntrader-signature-mouthpieces/319-horntrader-custom-signature-mouthpiece-ht327cornet.html

I like it, but I also like the rim on his stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: