• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Trumpet Opinions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have listed are fine horns. While I realize you are trying to narrow the field, if you come across a Kanstul 1510 C trumpet, you might be surprised. Excellent sounding horn with high quality build. Mine fits in anywhere. Best of luck.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello trumpetingbynurture,
Glad you found a C trumpet that you like...I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you were lucky...I don't see any way to find the BEST C trumpet for you without trying a lot of them. All you can say with certainty is that the C trumpet you have chosen is the best one you've tried.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
trpt4him

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a used 9445 Gen 1 a few months ago, with an Osmun aftermarket pipe put on it. It's a great horn, but one thing I'll note: I have found that I need a different mouthpiece on it than I did on my Bach 229, otherwise my pitch overall is a little lower than I'd like (have to push all the way in to be in tune). I happened to have a cut-down stock 1 1/2 C, also done by Osmun, and I tried it one day and everything just clicked. Sound improved, intonation improved slightly (it didn't have much room for improvement already), response improved.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
The 9445 arrived yesterday so had several hours playing on it now. This horn is super!

Intonation is on par with any Bb I've played, sound is just excellent. Slotting is very forgiving and I don't feel so much like I'm 'walking a tightrope' while playing, especially for rapid double-tonguing passages. Resistance is comfortable, and response is immediate.

Definitely achieved what I wanted, which is that peace of mind that my previous C trumpet wasn't holding me back, which it seems it definitely was in certain areas. Expending a lot of energy and focus to stay on top of things like intonation and security, which can now be redirected towards singing with the instrument.

I have absolutely no regets!

Nice! I don't know much about the differences in generations of Yamaha Chicago series trumpets, but I do know that one of the best Bbs I've played was a Yamaha Chicago - I can only imagine that the C would be excellent as well.

I'm also possibly going to be in the market for a C trumpet and not completely sure which direction to go - I doubt if I'll spend a lot of money or buy new. My situation is that I might start playing with a local orchestra. Based on what I've been told about the repertoire they typically perform, I'll need smaller horns some of the time, but I'll use a Bb for a good bit of it.

In any case, congratulations! Gotta love the inspiration that a new horn can give you!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: