• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Balanced Embouchure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has both the SC and BE materials and has no personal bias for either, I would have to say the approaches are much more alike than different.

I don't find the "essential techniques" to be "utterly different" or "in some very important ways opposing". Nor do I find there to be (except for the tonguing) "fundamental differences between the two".

I say this only because I would hate for anyone to stay away from either SC or BE because they feel they would be in conflict. In my humble opinion they both have a lot to offer and I think that they are very complimentary. Get both, but if you are on a budget (and who isn't) the BE material is extremely well done and is the best place to start.

What they both have in common, are people like Bruce Lee and Jeff Smiley who have been very gracious with their time whenever I have e-mailed them.

At present the SC materials are, I think, behind the current state of SC, so if you are lucky enough to be able to attend a clinic I would certainly do that (unfortunately, my son and I are in SoCal)

Clint McLaughlin's books have also been a great help and are a very comprehensive source of trumpet information.

Again, just my opinions........

Don
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the dialogue.

My intent was to invite someone who has had success with BE to tell us about it.

Being a Super Chopper, I am familiar with the fundamentals and success of that system.

I look forward to your posts.
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Lee Adams: >practice in front of the mirror often so that you can monitor if you are slipping back into old habits.
If you observe the close ups of the students a great visualization of the topographic evidences of SC are seen in the 2nd and 3rd students. The upward bunching chins, the slight bulges under the lips, less corner tension and more center compression. This can assist in giving understanding of SC in actual application.
I use the mirror a lot, but, as I was holding tpt in hand while reading Lee's post, I dashed to the mirror to doublecheck...yep.
I am glad, too, to have all you posters. Thanks bunches...chin.
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents---- I bought Jeff's book to get a grasp of a closed lip setting. This was something that was new to me having played with a smile type embochure for ever. The method Jeff uses to teach BE is not like SC at all. Callet teaches from the bottom up, Jeff teaches from both directions, bottom up and top down. Guys balance is the key word with Jeff's book. The lip clamp is a good way to teach your chin to bunch. Like Bruce Lee once said "You can never have to many books on trumpet playing" Jeff's is worth every dollar. The exercises in the book helped me learn to set my embochure with my lips together.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: