• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul backbores

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lburrows
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun wrote:
Lou-

My error. Thanks for the clarification.

Hi Garry

You are very welcome.

Good luck on your search.

Garry

Thanks very much

All the best

Lou

Bach 184ML Cornet - Kanstul custom Bach 3C
Besson 927 Sovereign Cornet - Bach 5A
B&H Imperial Cornet - Bach 5A
Bach 183 Flugel - Bach 3CFL
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was comparing the Reeves #2 with the Bach #10. Garry, I agree with you regarding the Reeves #69 backbore compared to the Reeves #2. I also find the #69 to project more than the #2. My 2 main lead pieces are a Reeves S/69 and a Reeves ES/692s. Both are incredible.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcastic Musician wrote:
Does anybody know where (and how much) I can buy the Kanstul backbores? I can get them from a local dealer, but I'm hoping to find them for less than $60 each. Worst case scenario, I could send an old 7c or 10 1/2c to get cut for threads. I'm pretty much just looking for a #10 at this point, but it may expand from there (of course).

You can buy them direct from the factory. The current price per piece is $65.00 in silver, add $55.00 (+/-) for gold plating. This is for the modular system and each set-up requires two pieces, so that would make $130.00 for a silver modular two-piece mouthpiece. (phew!)

I have also bought them from Fergusson's music in La Crescenta, CA (HornGuys *dot* com) for $60.00/piece. Steve carries a good assortment of popular sizes in stock, but certainly not the whole range.

Other dealers may carry the dealer's kit, too. Be sure to discuss trial arrangements before you buy, so you don't get stuck with something that doesn't work for you. Usually, dealers that are also players are very reasonable and accomodating with this level of equipment, provided that you take care of it and consider that said dealer will have to resell the pieces that you return.

'nuff said.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
lburrows
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still thinking about backbores.

I'm not sure that I like the tone of the B76, and have no idea how the B41 will play.

The R2 sounds like it may be too similar to the B10, although if it is slightly tighter, it may be what I am looking for. I believe that I am looking for something with a little more resistance and upper register support, with a slightly more commerical sound.

I have no idea how the R69 will play, but am wondering whether it will be a bit too tight/bright.

Has anyone tried the R692?

If so, what are your thoughts on it, with regards to level of resistance, sound and overall playability?

Thanks

Lou
lburrows
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I did the whole practise on lead, rather than just a few numbers, so gave my custom top (my 3C rim on the Kanstul B3D cup) a good try.

Since the rim of my custom top is my 3C rim, I experimented with switching between my 3C, and custom top, using my custom top for the very high numbers, and the 3C for everything else.

Having the same backbore on both mouthpieces, probably helped with this, so for now I am going to stay with the 10 backbore for my custom top.

I feel that it could do with a little more resistance for lead, but I also feel that I could improve my breath support in the upper register as well, so I am going to stay with the 10 backbore for now.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, for their help and advice.

All the best

Lou
yodafan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Kanstul backbores Reply with quote

A great backbore that Kanstul makes is a Schilke B backbore which is fantastic and very underrated in my opinion. Also Giardinelli 3 is a great backbore Kanstul makes as well.

lburrows wrote:
Hi

As a bit of background, I played lead for six years with a big band that played mainly for dancing. We therefore played more old time dancing stuff, as well as as bit of latin, and the Glenn Miller numbers. Having the top D at the end of In the Mood as the high point of the programme, I always used a Bach 3C.

For the last few years, I have been playing fourth trumpet with a big band, that plays more typical big band repetoire. Personally, I like fourth, but I have been asked recently to do a bit of depping on lead.

Not having played a typical lead mouthpiece, and not wanting to initially stray too far away from my usual set-up, I had Kanstul put my Bach 3C rim on their B3D (copy of a Bach 3D) cup, to make me a custom top.

I started with a Kansul B10 (copy of a Bach 10) backbore, as this is what I have on my Bach 3C.

I am now considering a slightly tighter backbore from the Kanstul modular mouthpiece system, to give me a little more upper register support and endurance, and would like something on the same lines as the B10, only a little tighter.

The R2 (copy of a Reeves 2) sounds a possibility. I have previously tried the B76 (copy of a Bach 76 backbore) on a standard Kanstul 3C top and I didn't like it. I also do not like it on the Bach 3D, which comes with the 76 backbore as standard.

What are your views on the R2 backbore, and do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

I am also considering having a top made, which is a copy of the cup end of my Bach 3C.

I could then use this with the B10 backbore, as a spare 3C for my other trumpet.

What would be the effect of combining a 3C top with a tighter backbore, or do tighter backbores generally better compliment shallower tops?

Although playing fourth for most of the practise, I have started playing lead on the odd number, to get me used to leading again. I therefore like the idea of keeping to the same cup which I have been playing for the rest of the practise, and just switching to a more efficient backbore.

Would this work?

Thanks

Lou

lburrows
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yodafan

Thanks very much for this.

I'll look into these in more detail.

All the best

Lou
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: